ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 3, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #9,481 of 12,527
I've tried those - not bad. I've tried 7 different pads though and every time I go back to the Universe Suede on my VC.
Speaking of pads, I just went back to my Universe lambskin after using the Auteur Hybrids for about almost 4 months now, and holy moly I think the Universe lambskin are it for me.

They really bring out that holographic sound with the instruments and sounds just zooming around you and enveloping you in the soundscape.

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #9,482 of 12,527
They really bring out that holographic sound with the instruments and sounds just zooming around you and enveloping you in the soundscape.
Life is good when you get the zoomies!

5bf6076b8080ad611c868fe5ae3cb0f8.gif

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #9,483 of 12,527
I've tried those - not bad. I've tried 7 different pads though and every time I go back to the Universe Suede on my VC.

I can confirm. Got the universe suedes in yesterday. Universe lambs and hybrids are my favourite pads for the VC so far.

They definitely sound amazing and the low end rumble doesn't seem to be greatly reduced. Still more than the VO with stock pads.
Cant compared yet because I got a new VO in aswell and new toys take most of my head time.

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #9,484 of 12,527
How would you compare the Universe Suedes to either of the [Universe] Hybrid or Lambskin?
Neutral definitely, but nothing is "dampened" if you know what I mean. Extreme clarity. Now, they will also bring out flaws in your system if there are any.

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #9,485 of 12,527
Damn, y'all are gonna make me buy some Universe Lambskins when I've been perfectly fine with my standard Auteur pads lol

Feb 3, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #9,486 of 12,527
Neutral definitely, but nothing is "dampened" if you know what I mean. Extreme clarity. Now, they will also bring out flaws in your system if there are any.
Extreme clarity is precisely what I'm after with my VC. You think the Universe Suedes are the best option there? Any others that fit the bill?

Feb 3, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #9,487 of 12,527
I actually settled on the Universe Hybrids atm, what I did was take off the pilot pads I was using, using the crescent band by itself and then making a slightly better seal by lowering the stem rods all the way down until it is at one stem line (for my big head).

I feel that with a slight tighter seal, you get that delicious sub bass with a slightly less ear wrenching upper mid peak from the hybrid pads.
I feel this is tonally what I'm looking for, with a presentation that has the 3D effect and decent dynamics with the additional good sub bass energy. Try to be careful to not to make the pads too tight or you will choke out the dynamics.

This seems to work without the pilot pads because it has a more even seal from the ear pads where the pilot pads would slightly cause the earpads to seal more from the top of the pads.

I never really factored in the seal and tightness of existing pads but they really do change the sound!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #9,488 of 12,527
I actually settled on the Universe Hybrids atm, what I did was take off the pilot pads I was using, using the crescent band by itself and then making a slightly better seal by lowering the stem rods all the way down until it is at one stem line (for my big head).

I feel that with a slight tighter seal, you get that delicious sub bass with a slightly less ear wrenching upper mid peak from the hybrid pads.
I feel this is tonally what I'm looking for, with a presentation that has the 3d effect and decent dynamics with the additional with great sub bass energy. Try to be careful to not to make the pads too tight or you will choke out the dynamics.

This seems to work without the pilot pads because it has a more even seal from the ear pads where the pilot pads would slightly cause the earpads to seal more from the top of the pads.

I never really factored in the seal and tightness of existing pads but they really do change the sound!
Exactly! I noticed the same thing when I got my crescent band in. The seal is so much better - improved everything. I'm thinking of trying the Universe Hybrids again for some more lower frequencies.

Feb 3, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #9,489 of 12,527
Any word on when the next set of stabilized VCs are coming out?

Feb 4, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #9,490 of 12,527
It's is funny you both mention the crescent improves the seal as I have definitely noticed the same thing. They feel much more secure on my head as well but interestingly it feels more comfortable around the ears despite the increased clamping force.

I think it is because the metal is bent in a much more pronounced U shape compared to the original band.

Feb 4, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #9,492 of 12,527
It's is funny you both mention the crescent improves the seal as I have definitely noticed the same thing. They feel much more secure on my head as well but interestingly it feels more comfortable around the ears despite the increased clamping force.

I think it is because the metal is bent in a much more pronounced U shape compared to the original band.

the crescent band by itself is definitely more comfortable than the original band + pilot or crescent with pilot.

Feb 4, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #9,493 of 12,527
That should be a hella good combo! It gets even better after burn in...enjoy!!
Hard to imagine a better amp/headphone combo, though they’re probably out there. I saw a balancing act for sale today and for a while I seriously considered it. Only thing stopping me was my wallet.

Feb 4, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #9,494 of 12,527
Yeah we're making two sets - and I'm trying to find more wood for a stabilized like mini run of black and white ebony or pale moon ebony. But it's a very hard wood to come by. Next time we do a stabilized drop we will likely try to throw a few special woods in with it as well that are past the boundaries of the normal LTDs.
I really like highly figured cherry burl. Just sayin.

Feb 4, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #9,495 of 12,527
Has anyone compared the VC w/ Universe Hybrid pads to the Aeolus?

I've been thinking of downgrading to the Aeolus, as I've read the vocals are better. I don't think the VC is for me anymore, but VC with the Universe Hybrid is close to what I'm looking for. Maybe something a little warmer.

(I'd be rebuying the Verite Open to complement the Aeolus)

Users who are viewing this thread

• PrTv
Back