ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 5, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #9,511 of 12,586
Thank you and there is a story behind that question! My father-in-law was visiting two weeks ago. I had the Stealth but not VC yet. He owned a very high end audio store from the 70's to 2007 at which time he sold the business and retired. Right before the economy crashed and right when High End 2 CH systems became less in style. He started out making 2CH speakers and selling them from his apartment and then moved on to selling other peoples high end audio equipment. He recently opened up with stories about the owner of Wilson Audio and staying at his house when Wilson Audio started etc. Also stories about Jim Thiel from Thiel audio for example. Even stories about Mike Moffat from Schiit Audio since Mike has been in the business for a long time.

After he left the business he had no interest in talking about audio nor listening to audio. His house is full of AMAZING speakers that I have never seen being used. He did mention audio stuff the first time I met him 10 years ago and he saw my 2Ch system. He told me every detail about it and what model and what years each unit was produced and the interconnects I was using and the speaker cables etc. He did say that my system was a good low end of the high end systems from the early 2000's :) That was a "nice to meet you" flex! The only other audio conversation we have had is that he very humbly came to me about 8 years ago and said "Mark can I please move your speakers into a position that will give you optional sound quality." :)

So last week when he came to visit he saw my Stealth HPs and liked how they resemble the exact color scheme and leather and carbon fiber look as a certain high end vehicle. So he wanted to try them. After 5 minutes of listening with his eyes closed he described every detail of the sound of the Stealth in a way that I could never do. When he sold HPs there were no closed back HPs that could compete with open back HPs. He was EXTREMELY impressed with the sound of the Stealth. He was listening to music through the DX300Max. DAPS were not a thing in 2007 so such a device that could produce amazing music was new to him.

So to finally answer your question. I listened to the Stealth with DX300Max and loved it. I was very happy with the dynamics of the combination. I know I could probably do Stealth better but I loved the combo. My father in law now has the Stealth and DX300Max with him. He was that impressed with both devices.

So, no I have not heard VC with DX300Max. I have an audio friend that will sell me his Stealth most likely. Otherwise I will hunt a used one down. Another audio friend is sending me his DX300Max Ti next week. So I will be able to comment then on that combo.

Sorry about the long story but I do hope it is an interesting one :)

I have only heard VC on Jot 1 with built in MB DAC and Jot 2 with Bifrost 2. I have been using those with IEMs (and love what they do for IEMs with DD and/or Estat drivers). I am loving those combos with VC and I know I can do a better by VC. I sold my HP amps when I got into IEMs about three years ago. I am waiting to see how much I like DX300Max Ti with the VC before I look into any other amps.
I really think you should share this with the Stealth thread. It's a lovely story

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #9,512 of 12,586
VC LTD African Blackwood! No picture does them justice!

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg
Gorgeous set! I really have the itch to try these after falling in love with my Eikons. I'm definitely a ZMF fanboy :).

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #9,513 of 12,586
Thank you and there is a story behind that question!...

Thanks for sharing that awesome story :)

The Stealth did also cross my mind as a potential option and I wondered how it'd pair with the Max... guess that answers that question lol.

And hey maybe your father in law will send you one of those unused speakers as an Xmas gift now!

Perhaps not but the pics sure look like they'd be close! Amazing set.

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #9,514 of 12,586

very nice.
I have these but photo don't do them justice or I am simply bad at taking photo

Attachments

• 20220207_145004.jpg
    20220207_145004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #9,515 of 12,586
My VC African Blackwood arrived. I had one of the first Desert Ironwood ones when they were released. I quickly sold it due to guilt over paying so much for a personal audio item. I then got heavily into IEMs. I wanted to try the VC again since it now does not seem that expensive anymore since the TOTL IEM prices are over the top (how is that for faulted justification).

I recently purchased the DCA Stealth HP to start off my HP re-entry. I have to stick with closed back due to others around me and noises in my environment that need to be attenuated by a closed back HP or inserted IEM. I do not have the Stealth on hand to directly compare. I was worried that VC could not keep up with the Stealth. I am such a mids and detail retrieval guy that once I heard Stealth I was in heaven. The Stealth is about the mids and AMAZIING detail retrieval.

VC arrived and I of course stared at it for a long time until my wife started chanting "Narcissus" and pulling up pictures of that painting on her phone and trying to put them in front of the VC. I saw right through her phone into the reflection of the VC!

Now, back to reality: The VC was a little muddy the first 4-5 hours. I was a little worried. Then either brain burn or burn in of the drivers started taking affect. Wow!! These are really good. I would say that all frequencies are represented well. Nothing stands out as above the rest and everything is good. The DD bass is such a wonderful dynamic driver bass sound. The vocals and mid section instruments are not recessed at all (otherwise I would have to sell them for that reason alone).

The overall presentation is about an "analogue" sound. A very musical sound with enough detail to keep me involved. The detail retrieval is excellent for a "musicality" slanted HP. It really can be a compliment to the Stealth. The Stealth cuts right to the heart. Each note that is. The VC plays around your heart and seduces you.

What a hobby!!!

I will post pictures soon once I have no one else around to bring me back to reality as I stair at my Narcissistic pond of pleasure.

I really think you should share this with the Stealth thread. It's a lovely story
I 2nd this...great story, definitely worth sharing IMO.

Feb 6, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #9,516 of 12,586
Due to the way life is at times I am now a headphone guy lol.

I am coming from a pair of Paradigm Persona 3f powered by a Class A Krell XD amplifier (Bryston SP3 Class A preamp) so my expectations are high with my combo of ZMF Verite Closed and a Schiit Yodenheim2 with the Trubit DAC. I will be using my i7 laptop for a music source (qobuz and cd/hd rips/purchases) and am not sure really what to expect. I ordered both pieces a month ago and coincidently the ZMF and Schiit will both arrive this Tuesday, is there a burn in on the ZMF? I was also considering the ZMF Pendant with a high dollar external DAC but cheaped out and tried the lower cost option first.

Any tips etc will be much appreciated as like I said I am a headphone greenhorn, this is my first set. Thanks so much for the help everybody! Mike

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #9,517 of 12,586
is there a burn in on the ZMF?
Yes. They will continue to improve up until the 150-200 hour mark, but totally listenable from day 1.
the ZMF Pendant with a high dollar external DAC but cheaped out and tried the lower cost option first.
If you do end up upgrading the amp and DAC, I would I highly recommend getting off of your computer as a source. Huge gains to be had when moving to a dedicated server, especially when you have invested in a great DAC.

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #9,518 of 12,586
Yes. They will continue to improve up until the 150-200 hour mark, but totally listenable from day 1.

If you do end up upgrading the amp and DAC, I would I highly recommend getting off of your computer as a source. Huge gains to be had when moving to a dedicated server, especially when you have invested in a great DAC.
Hmmm ok, interesting.

I also have a Bryston BDP-2 (no DAC) with the BDP-3 upgrade that supports Qobuz and has an internal HD with 400 gig of HD/CD rips "laying around", this will sound much better as a source vs my computer? Even with the basic Schiit Trubit dac? Thanks so much for the hand

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #9,519 of 12,586
this will sound much better as a source vs my computer? Even with the basic Schiit Trubit dac?
The only way to find out is to try it.

Given your speaker set up, im sure you know what great high end audio sounds like and understand that our systems are always held back by our weakest link ( I wish my wife understood that notion). In your case, the comp is your weakest link, though im not sure you would hear much difference with your Schiit DAC. I probably wouldn't dump a ton of cash into an alternate source until you're ready to get to an end game DAC.

The VC is a very revealing, yet musical headphone. It will always reveal flaws in recordings/mastering and in our upstream chain.

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #9,520 of 12,586

Given your speaker set up, im sure you know what great high end audio sounds like and understand that our systems are always held back by our weakest link ( I wish my wife understood that notion). In your case, the comp is your weakest link, though im not sure you would hear much difference with your Schiit DAC. I probably wouldn't dump a ton of cash into an alternate source until you're ready to get to an end game DAC.

The VC is a very revealing, yet musical headphone. It will always reveal flaws in recordings/mastering and in our upstream chain.

Yes a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

I already have the BDP-2 with the card upgrade so I honestly doubt there is a cleaner balanced 1/0 source available for the $1300 or so I could sell it for.

I added the DAC with the Schiit purely for convenience and resell standpoint, I am guessing with the BDP2 involved the Schiit DAC will be, by far, my weakest link.

Feb 7, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #9,521 of 12,586
Hmmm ok, interesting.

I also have a Bryston BDP-2 (no DAC) with the BDP-3 upgrade that supports Qobuz and has an internal HD with 400 gig of HD/CD rips "laying around", this will sound much better as a source vs my computer? Even with the basic Schiit Trubit dac? Thanks so much for the hand
Sometime these basic DACs don’t have good USB implementation or are not galvanically isolated and hence noise from laptop is carried over till headphone causing fatigue. I’m not sure if Schiit has Unison USB for basic DAC/AMP like their higher offering DAC.

Also good streamer and DAC are good investment because even if you decide to move back to speaker these components can be reused.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #9,522 of 12,586
Yes a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

I already have the BDP-2 with the card upgrade so I honestly doubt there is a cleaner balanced 1/0 source available for the $1300 or so I could sell it for.

I added the DAC with the Schiit purely for convenience and resell standpoint, I am guessing with the BDP2 involved the Schiit DAC will be, by far, my weakest link.
I also have a Bdp-2 and it’s amazing! Definitely a keeper if you can only get $1k for it. I’m definitely keeping mine. Works wonders with Tidal/Quboz.

Feb 7, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #9,523 of 12,586

Ha....yeah. It is always upgrading the weakest link that cost all of the money :grinning:

Feb 7, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #9,525 of 12,586
and followed by the next weakest link, its a never ending rabbit hole.
Yes, that is what I am saying. Always going to be a weakest link...just the idea of how much you want to always upgrade it

You stay around here long enough and you can dump the mother load of cash :grinning:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back