ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 29, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #46 of 12,549
I listened to both the Stellias and Verite closed at the Canjam on Saturday. We’re talking chalk and cheese here. Both are excellent in their own way as closed backs but are very different in tonality.
The ZMF’s strengths lie in a richness without loosing detail although the Verite is to my ears the least rich of the line.Needs a powerful amp though and it lost depth and body when run through an Audioquest Cobalt although the latter is a portable device so I guess an unfair pairing. Think a room with drapes and well damped as a venue.
The Stellia is probably more detailed and brighter, tighter and focussed. The typical Focal sound. Think of a lightly damped room as a venue. More towards the electrostatic tonality.
Also the Focals are lighter and less cumbersome if that’s important.
Best have both i guess.......

Yes two different sounds I am sure, but as I mentioned the main thing about the Focals that keeps me away is the in the head feeling and sort of 2D feeling to the soundstage. I guess you can tell I am an imaging nut........well my wife would just say I am just a plain nut. LOL

I do like the Stellia's overall balance better than the Utopia. I am sure street prices will be very comparable between the Stellia and Verite Closed. I actually find regular Verite feel lighter on my head, not sure about the Closed Verite. In an ideal world it might be best to have both because as you mentioned they are almost at different ends of the tonal spectrum.

My hope is that the Verite Closed will have a bit more tight low end and a bit more on the top end than the open Verite . That might help offset any feeling of being closed in. So ideally for me a signature sort of in between the Stellia and Verite would be perfect, with that 3D staging that the Verite does so well.

Jul 29, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #47 of 12,549
Hesitantly decided against going to CanJam, knowing full well there would be something that would make me sorely regret it. This is that something... Was just about coming around to pulling the trigger on the Verité but now I think this is the one (pending first impressions and pricing). Stunning!

Jul 29, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #50 of 12,549
I believe it was a a Glen OTL tube? and a ifi ican & pro DSD

The GOTL is one of the best pairings I’ve heard with the Verite (I don’t have my Spanish keyboard on my phone), the iFi is a meh, I haven’t heard an amp in their line that lit my fire, I find them “lifeless.”

Jul 29, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #51 of 12,549
While I love the Stellia's sound and think it is the best in Focal's lineup, the small soundstage, for the price, just keeps me from hitting the purchase button. So if the Verite Closed has the same or close soundstage as the open........great!

To quote Zach talking about the pad/sound options for the VC:
zach915m said:
[...]
universe pads, with a narrower stage and more punch, closer to Verite tuning
[...]
auteur pads, which have the more open stage and more neutral frequency response
[...]
The headphones will come with three sets of pads, both lambskin types of universe and auteur, and a hybrid pad with suede and leather for those wanting a more true neutral experience.

So as always, everyone should be able to find a tuning they like. Now all we need is a price :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #52 of 12,549
I believe it was a a Glen OTL tube? and a ifi ican & pro DSD

Verite really shines on the Glenn OTL, so no reason the closed back shouldn't either (same for Zach's other dynamics). You can tweak the sound to your hearts delight with that amp. I'll be doing a lot of testing on it when I get my review pair.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #54 of 12,549
@zach915m - regarding your statement:
"The headphones will come with three sets of pads, both lambskin types of universe and auteur, and a hybrid pad with suede and leather for those wanting a more true neutral experience."

Here is my suggestion:
Label or mark the pads somehow... and also include a little card in the box with a short description (such as the one above).
Would prevent confusion and repeated questions from us on how to identify which pad is which, and how do they alter the sound signature... :wink:

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #55 of 12,549
@zach915m - regarding your statement:
"The headphones will come with three sets of pads, both lambskin types of universe and auteur, and a hybrid pad with suede and leather for those wanting a more true neutral experience."

Here is my suggestion:
Label or mark the pads somehow... and also include a little card in the box with a short description (such as the one above).
Would prevent confusion and repeated questions from us on how to identify which pad is which, and how do they alter the sound signature... :wink:

All the headphones that I’ve received with multiple pads have had markings on them. Usually a letter or two to indicate which pad is which. Seems to be written in silver sharpie but not entirely sure. A small description with each on how it alters the sound signature would be great.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #56 of 12,549
All the headphones that I’ve received with multiple pads have had markings on them.
Mine didn't. maybe Zach doesn't think that I'm special... :wink:

Jul 30, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #57 of 12,549
Mine didn't. maybe Zach doesn't think that I'm special... :wink:

Or maybe he thinks you are super special and can work them out yourself :beerchug:

Jul 30, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #58 of 12,549
20190729_222228.jpg @Monsterzero I didn't want to crash the HEDD thread. Yes I have the Empyrean and the Verite. The big problem is I like them both for different things. I do have to say I think the Verite has a little more character. and a better soundstage too. The Meze has more bass impact and a smoother sound, almost too smooth at times. If someone would like I can give a more detailed comparison. Despite the fact that they do sometimes, with different pad swaps, sound similar, right now my plan is to return/sell the Verite and get the Verite Closed, especially that it has been said that the Verite and the VC sound quite similar. That way I can have both and it will not seem redundant. Not sure I could quite pull the trigger on the Stellia, despite the fact that I think it's Focal's best model.

A big advantage of the Verite is that there are many pads I can try to alter the tone to taste. I haven't even tried any others just yet, besides the two in the case. Whereas the Empy only has two pads period and neither gives me the exact sound I fully like just yet.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #60 of 12,549
Has ZMF any timing plan for Verite closed back?
I've read here: "late summer / early autumn" and "shipping September". I'm wondering if there will be a pre-order promotion or the option to pre-order at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back