ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 24, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #16 of 12,524
How much?

index.php

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #18 of 12,524
Is there any word on where this falls on the ZMF lineup of warmth?

With their stock pads I'm pretty sure it currently goes:
(from most neutral to warmest)
Auteur>Verite>Aeolus>Eikon>Atticus

If this was somehow warmer and more clear than the atticus I'd be interested since I mostly like my closed backs to be an almost pure fun experience but we'll see what Niche Zach has planned for this one to fill!

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #19 of 12,524
Is there any word on where this falls on the ZMF lineup of warmth?

With their stock pads I'm pretty sure it currently goes:
(from most neutral to warmest)
Auteur>Verite>Aeolus>Eikon>Atticus

If this was somehow warmer and more clear than the atticus I'd be interested since I mostly like my closed backs to be an almost pure fun experience but we'll see what Niche Zach has planned for this one to fill!
I think between verite open and aeolus on your line...

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #20 of 12,524
I am thinking it will sound a touch less thick, slightly less warm according to that graph. The mids take a bit of a dip and the lower treble 3-4.5k a slight rise.

Also my preference is that these are kept closer to neutral with a slightly warm lean. Nice bass, same 3D soundstage, of course within reason for closed, and nice extended airy highs, but not metallic or brittle. These are fully competing against the Stellia. I am sure that the Verite Closed will at least beat it on soundstage.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #21 of 12,524
I am thinking it will sound a touch less thick, slightly less warm according to that graph. The mids take a bit of a dip and the lower treble 3-4.5k a slight rise.

Also my preference is that these are kept closer to neutral with a slightly warm lean. Nice bass, same 3D soundstage, of course within reason for closed, and nice extended airy highs, but not metallic or brittle. These are fully competing against the Stellia. I am sure that the Verite Closed will at least beat it on soundstage.
After listening to the protype and a silk wood Verite I could barely tell a difference between the two sound wise. They sounded nearly identical. The closed prototype had all of the attributes you just describe. The sound was on the warm side of neutral, the bass was textured and deep, the mids were smooth and lush, and the treble was extended with nice clarity. I don't think any of Zach's headphones have metallic treble.

I haven't heard the Stellia's for a comparison but the Verite closed is going to be a outstanding headphone.

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #22 of 12,524
After listening to the protype and a silk wood Verite I could barely tell a difference between the two sound wise. They sounded nearly identical. The closed prototype had all of the attributes you just describe. The sound was on the warm side of neutral, the bass was textured and deep, the mids were smooth and lush, and the treble was extended with nice clarity. I don't think any of Zach's headphones have metallic treble.

I haven't heard the Stellia's for a comparison but the Verite closed is going to be a outstanding headphone.
Ah, was thinking there might be a slightly different sound, between the two Verite. With the Audeze closed backs (as you know) when they add the cups, it fills in the upper midrange dip that Audeze’s usually have, thus giving them a more present sound, than their open back counterparts.

Jul 24, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #23 of 12,524
Ah, was thinking there might be a slightly different sound, between the two Verite. With the Audeze closed backs (as you know) when they add the cups, it fills in the upper midrange dip that Audeze’s usually have, thus giving them a more present sound, than their open back counterparts.
I’m very familiar with the Audeze upper midrange/lower treble dip. It’s the main reason I sold all of Audeze headphones. When compared to Hifiman and ZMF headphones that hole in the sound was easy to pick out in the Audeze cans. I can tell you that it is not present on this Vérité closed headphone I heard. It transitioned smoothly from midrange to treble.

Jul 24, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #24 of 12,524
I’m very familiar with the Audeze upper midrange/lower treble dip. It’s the main reason I sold all of Audeze headphones. When compared to Hifiman and ZMF headphones that hole in the sound was easy to pick out in the Audeze cans. I can tell you that it is not present on this Vérité closed headphone I heard. It transitioned smoothly from midrange to treble.
Yes that what my comparison would be with the 2 CB, which you owned. They have less of that dip in the upper mids, which is why I like them and even am comparing them to the Verite I have now.

Jul 25, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #25 of 12,524
Yes that what my comparison would be with the 2 CB, which you owned. They have less of that dip in the upper mids, which is why I like them and even am comparing them to the Verite I have now.
I agree the LCD-2CB’s had less of the upper mid/lower treble dip. They were also fairly neutral and oddly enough they were my favorite Audeze headphone. The LCD-2CB’s didn’t have the big bass like the XC’s or X’s. It was more in line with the bass of LCD-4’s, which I held in high regard. It wasn’t until I got my HD820’s the the LCD-2CB’s go somewhat exposed. They lose out in detail, imagining, clarity, soundstage and sound refinement when compared to the HD820’s. So I put them up for sale.

Now that I’ve heard the prototype closed back Vérité’s they too are another league above the 2CB’s. I don’t think they sound like anything other than a ZMF headphone. The HD820’s sound different, the Z1R’s sound different and I would imagine the Stellia’s will sound different. So it’s going to come down to preference if you have to choice just one of them. They all have something unique that they do that will make you want them. With that said none of them presented music like prototype closed Vérité I heard. Zach’s sound is addictive and when I put on that headphone I was hooked. I knew I had to have it. :)

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #26 of 12,524
I agree the LCD-2CB’s had less of the upper mid/lower treble dip. They were also fairly neutral and oddly enough they were my favorite Audeze headphone. The LCD-2CB’s didn’t have the big bass like the XC’s or X’s. It was more in line with the bass of LCD-4’s, which I held in high regard. It wasn’t until I got my HD820’s the the LCD-2CB’s go somewhat exposed. They lose out in detail, imagining, clarity, soundstage and sound refinement when compared to the HD820’s. So I put them up for sale.

Now that I’ve heard the prototype closed back Vérité’s they too are another league above the 2CB’s. I don’t think they sound like anything other than a ZMF headphone. The HD820’s sound different, the Z1R’s sound different and I would imagine the Stellia’s will sound different. So it’s going to come down to preference if you have to choice just one of them. They all have something unique that they do that will make you want them. With that said none of them presented music like prototype closed Vérité I heard. Zach’s sound is addictive and when I put on that headphone I was hooked. I knew I had to have it. :)

Damn @Slim1970 , you’re wetting my appetite. I have the Vérité, Aeolus, and the Atty, thought I was done and HeadFi bites me in the wallet once again!

Do any of Ya’ll think we can talk Zach and Bevin into doing a North American and European Tour?

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #27 of 12,524
Do any of Ya’ll think we can talk Zach and Bevin into doing a North American and European Tour?
Zach and Bevin are doing 4 (or more) North American tours: CanJam NYC, CanJam SoCal, ZMFestivus II, and RMAF... :wink:

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #28 of 12,524
Zach and Bevin are doing 4 (or more) North American tours: CanJam NYC, CanJam SoCal, ZMFestivus II, and RMAF... :wink:
Too bad I missed them here at CanJam NY. Their table was always crowded. Especially since the other stops are either in the Midwest or the Left coast.

Also, I hope you guys.......Slim.......are right about the Verite Closed, because I am going to return my open Verite and wait for the closed. That way I can buy another open back like the Empy or 4z, and own a Verite, without too much redundancy.

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #29 of 12,524
Damn @Slim1970 , you’re wetting my appetite. I have the Vérité, Aeolus, and the Atty, thought I was done and HeadFi bites me in the wallet once again!

I know there is a event coming up in a few months in Chicago that they will be hosting. It might be worth the trip for you.

Since you have the open Vérité's you might as well get the closed version. I really love the tuning on the closed. So it's going to be a toss up as to which one I get. To be honest, I really want a silk wood Vérité AND the new closed Vérité once it's released. I wonder if Zach will do a discount like he did with the Eikon and Atticus if you buy both, hmmm........

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #30 of 12,524
I've tried them today at Canjam...wow, just wow! It took me completely by surprise as ZMF stand were not even on my "must try" headphones.
Their stand was quite busy, lot of people queuing for a seat Spot. After waiting for a bit, I got a chair: I've started my ZMF run with a pair of Eikon into my mojo with Tidal being sourced from my pixel3, I did enjoy its warmish sound signature but somehow I didn't got full engaged. Then I noticed they had a closed back without any cup grille, Bevin (Zach's wife) explained it was their final Verite closed back version prototype (hardwood)and asked me if I wanted to try them. Sure, why not!

Hans Zimmer's Lion king suite was absolutely beautiful. For what I want on pair of headphones, everything is there: Extended and powerful bass with crazy detailed mids. So you have an Idea, my gf tried them out, with this same track, it got her all emotional and full goose bumps!

In the end, I think this is what we're looking for, goose bumps when you try a special pair of headphones. And Verite closed back is exactly that.

Some pics:
IMG_20190727_182000.jpg
IMG_20190727_181833.jpg
IMG_20190727_181837.jpg

PS - I think she'll get all emotional again when I place a pre-order. But probably not of happiness this time ahah

Attachments

• IMG_20190727_181956.jpg
    IMG_20190727_181956.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back