ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 30, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #61 of 12,522
Mine didn't. maybe Zach doesn't think that I'm special... :wink:
You are a unique wonderful snowflake! Now can you please point yourself out of this picture for me... :wink:

upload_2019-7-30_9-2-4.jpeg

Jul 30, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #62 of 12,522
@Monsterzero I didn't want to crash the HEDD thread. Yes I have the Empyrean and the Verite. The big problem is I like them both for different things. I do have to say I think the Verite has a little more character. and a better soundstage too. The Meze has more bass impact and a smoother sound, almost too smooth at times. If someone would like I can give a more detailed comparison. Despite the fact that they do sometimes, with different pad swaps, sound similar, right now my plan is to return/sell the Verite and get the Verite Closed, especially that it has been said that the Verite and the VC sound quite similar. That way I can have both and it will not seem redundant. Not sure I could quite pull the trigger on the Stellia, despite the fact that I think it's Focal's best model.

A big advantage of the Verite is that there are many pads I can try to alter the tone to taste. I haven't even tried any others just yet, besides the two in the case. Whereas the Empy only has two pads period and neither gives me the exact sound I fully like just yet.

I did a stream of consciousness post on this on another site, here is a copy paste:

“Ok, listening to these through the ADI-2DAC and Phonitor XE...and... well I kind of want to go back to the Airist R-2R -> HoloAudio Azure chain... they feel lifeless, in comparison. Very accurate, the bass has lost some oomph and feeling, still there just not emotional. Very detailed, doesn't feel as wide, imaging is still great, feels like lows are recessed, and mids are more forward along with highs having some brightness to them. It is crazy how neutral/uncolored the Phonitor/RME ADI-2DAC combo is, it really is an extremely revealing combo and will find any flaws with your chain.

With this combo, the Empys are from my memory on par with the Utopias, with better bass, and to my ears less detail and imaging quality.

Just swapped to my Verite...and instantly prefer the Verite sound over the Empyrean...Need more time to verify with proper a/b...but as of right now...with some quick song swaps and HP swaps...Verite takes it. I'm going to play with these two for the next 30min or so...I'll update this post if I have more thoughts...

Switched to the micro suede, comfort instantly went up, on an already amazingly comfortable headphone. Also, the bass is up, highs tamed a bit, a little more forgiving. More in line with the Verite now...let me switch and continue my stream of conscious...

Verite is back on my head and they are sounding less fatiguing? Hmm...odd. Something about the highs is bothering me with the Empys, can't quite pin it down. I'm fairly positive it is just a preference thing unique to me though.

Time to switch to the Azure and do some a/b...

@#$%@#!$%!@#$%@!#$%^.... :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::triumph::rage:

I...DO...NOT...WANT...TO...LIKE...THE...AZURE amp...I...DO...NOT...NEED...IT...damn...

Wow, the Azure amp is nice, it definitely is doing something to the sound...slightly less fatiguing...well I should clarify the chain does not have the ADI-2DAC, but the Airist R-2R DAC, which I'll have to do a proper comparison of the amps on the same chain to make sure the major change is the amps and not the DACs.

I really like this combo, I'm on the Verite. Yes, I think I'm more of an "emotional" listener...give me color, give me life, emotion, I want to have goosebumps =) I will say the Azure does have some...quirks...it almost has an artificial sound at times...which breaks the feeling I'm getting from it, but it only occurs on occasion, this is both with the Verite and the Empys.

...sorry...Empyrean thread...not amp thread :wink: ...

Emps are back on the head...I think I figured out something...they sound slightly congested compared to the Verite, mind you, it is very slight. But with the chain I'm using I can pick it up. It on occasion loses its imaging and detail, and feels like noise being thrown at me...this I do believe is due to the mastering of some of the tracks... I also can be overly sensitive to this sort of thing and is probably why I like the HD800, Verite, and now SR1A so much, as they do imaging and detail so well. I do not blame the Empyreans for this, as it is a quirk of mine and that they seem to not handle bad sources very well. But still, more time is needed. :wink: conscious stream to continue for maybe another song or two...

They really can pick up some cool details in tracks that are mastered well though and really do shine...they are definitively the best Planars I've heard to date for extended listening. Which to be fair, I don't have a lot of TOTL Planar experience. The closest TOTL extended listen I've had was the LCD-X and these blow those out of the water easily, but are almost 3x the price.

Just for reference sake, I'm listening to my Qobuz library on random...It mirrors my Spotify playlist that I've posted a couple of times and can be found in my reviews.

Ending on this track, and it is very relaxing and highlights a lot of the great things the Empyrean can do:

https://open.qobuz.com/track/37457599

and here is the youtube, I'm not posting the official video...it is, well...not my thing:

Goodnight...” ~ Darthpool (that’s a me!)

Jul 30, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #63 of 12,522
I did a stream of consciousness post on this on another site, here is a copy paste:

“Ok, listening to these through the ADI-2DAC and Phonitor XE...and... well I kind of want to go back to the Airist R-2R -> HoloAudio Azure chain... they feel lifeless, in comparison. Very accurate, the bass has lost some oomph and feeling, still there just not emotional. Very detailed, doesn't feel as wide, imaging is still great, feels like lows are recessed, and mids are more forward along with highs having some brightness to them. It is crazy how neutral/uncolored the Phonitor/RME ADI-2DAC combo is, it really is an extremely revealing combo and will find any flaws with your chain.

With this combo, the Empys are from my memory on par with the Utopias, with better bass, and to my ears less detail and imaging quality.

Just swapped to my Verite...and instantly prefer the Verite sound over the Empyrean...Need more time to verify with proper a/b...but as of right now...with some quick song swaps and HP swaps...Verite takes it. I'm going to play with these two for the next 30min or so...I'll update this post if I have more thoughts...

Switched to the micro suede, comfort instantly went up, on an already amazingly comfortable headphone. Also, the bass is up, highs tamed a bit, a little more forgiving. More in line with the Verite now...let me switch and continue my stream of conscious...

Verite is back on my head and they are sounding less fatiguing? Hmm...odd. Something about the highs is bothering me with the Empys, can't quite pin it down. I'm fairly positive it is just a preference thing unique to me though.

Time to switch to the Azure and do some a/b...

@#$%@#!$%!@#$%@!#$%^.... :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::triumph::rage:

I...DO...NOT...WANT...TO...LIKE...THE...AZURE amp...I...DO...NOT...NEED...IT...damn...

Wow, the Azure amp is nice, it definitely is doing something to the sound...slightly less fatiguing...well I should clarify the chain does not have the ADI-2DAC, but the Airist R-2R DAC, which I'll have to do a proper comparison of the amps on the same chain to make sure the major change is the amps and not the DACs.

I really like this combo, I'm on the Verite. Yes, I think I'm more of an "emotional" listener...give me color, give me life, emotion, I want to have goosebumps =) I will say the Azure does have some...quirks...it almost has an artificial sound at times...which breaks the feeling I'm getting from it, but it only occurs on occasion, this is both with the Verite and the Empys.

...sorry...Empyrean thread...not amp thread :wink: ...

Emps are back on the head...I think I figured out something...they sound slightly congested compared to the Verite, mind you, it is very slight. But with the chain I'm using I can pick it up. It on occasion loses its imaging and detail, and feels like noise being thrown at me...this I do believe is due to the mastering of some of the tracks... I also can be overly sensitive to this sort of thing and is probably why I like the HD800, Verite, and now SR1A so much, as they do imaging and detail so well. I do not blame the Empyreans for this, as it is a quirk of mine and that they seem to not handle bad sources very well. But still, more time is needed. :wink: conscious stream to continue for maybe another song or two...

They really can pick up some cool details in tracks that are mastered well though and really do shine...they are definitively the best Planars I've heard to date for extended listening. Which to be fair, I don't have a lot of TOTL Planar experience. The closest TOTL extended listen I've had was the LCD-X and these blow those out of the water easily, but are almost 3x the price.

Just for reference sake, I'm listening to my Qobuz library on random...It mirrors my Spotify playlist that I've posted a couple of times and can be found in my reviews.

Ending on this track, and it is very relaxing and highlights a lot of the great things the Empyrean can do:

https://open.qobuz.com/track/37457599

and here is the youtube, I'm not posting the official video...it is, well...not my thing:

Goodnight...” ~ Darthpool (that’s a me!)

Wow, lots to your stream of consciousness. Could have used a TL;DR on that. I agree with with some of what you have said. As far as the Empy's are concerned, with the leather pads on it cannot compete with the spaciousness of the Verite. The image becomes very center focused and congested, as you mentioned. With the suede pads on it gets a lot closer, but the Verite still has a better soundstage and imaging also. Where the Empy's do excel is in bass and bass fullness. It has more and it is tight, with the leather pads, it get a little sloppy with the suede pads though. Tonally the Verite is more rich, but for some may be overwhelming. The Meze are a little more bland, but that also covers up the faults of a lot of baldly recorded music, which is probably why they are so popular, they are very inoffensive sounding.

The bottom line is that the Verite has a more bold sound and if you are not used to ZMF's, is little different and can take time to get used to. It has taken me about a week to appreciate the Verite and some may not give it that long. The Empyrean on the other hand are more mellow, very competent, do not do much wrong, and not so in your face. They are both good but right now I can say the Verite is growing on me more. It just has more flavor.

Jul 30, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #64 of 12,522
Wow, lots to your stream of consciousness. Could have used a TL;DR on that. I agree with with some of what you have said. As far as the Empy's are concerned, with the leather pads on it cannot compete with the spaciousness of the Verite. The image becomes very center focused and congested, as you mentioned. With the suede pads on it gets a lot closer, but the Verite still has a better soundstage and imaging also. Where the Empy's do excel is in bass and bass fullness. It has more and it is tight, with the leather pads, it get a little sloppy with the suede pads though. Tonally the Verite is more rich, but for some may be overwhelming. The Meze are a little more bland, but that also covers up the faults of a lot of baldly recorded music, which is probably why they are so popular, they are very inoffensive sounding.

The bottom line is that the Verite has a more bold sound and if you are not used to ZMF's, is little different and can take time to get used to. It has taken me about a week to appreciate the Verite and some may not give it that long. The Empyrean on the other hand are more mellow, very competent, do not do much wrong, and not so in your face. They are both good but right now I can say the Verite is growing on me more. It just has more flavor.

Yeah, I do get long winded when imbibing some whiskey...I believe I was drinking a Kentucky Mule! (Moscow mule but with bourbon). Yeah, I agree the Empyreans are easy listening, and the bass is very nice. I will do a more formal review of them here in the next couple weeks. But they so far are the best planar I’ve heard yet, which to be fair I’ve not heard a lot, but I did do a review of the LCD-X and thought highly of it, but I would take the Empyrean over the LCD-X though.

Jul 30, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #65 of 12,522
Yeah, I do get long winded when imbibing some whiskey...I believe I was drinking a Kentucky Mule! (Moscow mule but with bourbon). Yeah, I agree the Empyreans are easy listening, and the bass is very nice. I will do a more formal review of them here in the next couple weeks. But they so far are the best planar I’ve heard yet, which to be fair I’ve not heard a lot, but I did do a review of the LCD-X and thought highly of it, but I would take the Empyrean over the LCD-X though.

Well I have a HEK SE to compare. It still is my most detailed and spacious sounding can, but a very different sound from these two. Had an LCD X. It was good but not quite up to these HP's. I am mostly a planar guy and the Verite is my first high end Dynamic. I had the Elex, but that isn't nearly as good either. So far to put the diffences into perspective the Empyrean is more about lower mids and bass impact with loads of smooth, where the Verite is about mids and treble spaciousness with lots of character.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #66 of 12,522
I had the pleasure of listening to the Verite closed at CanJam London this past weekend. They were absolutely amazing. They were definitely a 'WOW' headphone that you find yourself listening to over and over again.

However.

Despite the fact that my tastes remain in the 'neutral/natural HD600' region, I found myself reaching for the Eikon more. They weren't as imaging, or resolving, or detailed, or as open sounding as the Verite Closed, but they're more dynamic, more immediate and had me listening for a good 45 minutes despite the fact that I've heard them so many times before. To me, the liveliness, natural sound, dynamism and pure enjoyment of the Eikons was so much more than I ended up buying a Camphor pair on the spot. The difference in price between the Verite Closed and the Eikons isn't huge, maybe £700 from what I remember being told by Aamer (don't quote me). Are they absolutely outstanding and an achievement in the closed back realm of headphones? Yes. Are they better than the Eikon? Subjectively, no. If you like the Eikon, love them even, I think you'll find yourselves wanting to hold on to them despite how impressive the Verite C are. That's not to put a damper on how good they are, they just don't quite have the soul that the Eikons do. I was speaking to a chap at the ZMF stand who had bought his Eikons a year earlier, and we both agreed that despite the technical prowess of the Verite C, the Eikons were just that much better.

Again, this is entirely my subjective interpretation of how I found them. Please do make your own minds up. But fans of the Eikons, people who have picked the Eikons over ZMFs other offerings, I imagine will not be overly interested in the Verite C.

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #67 of 12,522
I had the pleasure of listening to the Verite closed at CanJam London this past weekend. They were absolutely amazing. They were definitely a 'WOW' headphone that you find yourself listening to over and over again.

However.

Despite the fact that my tastes remain in the 'neutral/natural HD600' region, I found myself reaching for the Eikon more. They weren't as imaging, or resolving, or detailed, or as open sounding as the Verite Closed, but they're more dynamic, more immediate and had me listening for a good 45 minutes despite the fact that I've heard them so many times before. To me, the liveliness, natural sound, dynamism and pure enjoyment of the Eikons was so much more than I ended up buying a Camphor pair on the spot. The difference in price between the Verite Closed and the Eikons isn't huge, maybe £700 from what I remember being told by Aamer (don't quote me). Are they absolutely outstanding and an achievement in the closed back realm of headphones? Yes. Are they better than the Eikon? Subjectively, no. If you like the Eikon, love them even, I think you'll find yourselves wanting to hold on to them despite how impressive the Verite C are. That's not to put a damper on how good they are, they just don't quite have the soul that the Eikons do. I was speaking to a chap at the ZMF stand who had bought his Eikons a year earlier, and we both agreed that despite the technical prowess of the Verite C, the Eikons were just that much better.

Again, this is entirely my subjective interpretation of how I found them. Please do make your own minds up. But fans of the Eikons, people who have picked the Eikons over ZMFs other offerings, I imagine will not be overly interested in the Verite C.[/QUO

I’m perfectly happy with my Verite ziricote open so if I add another ZMF to my collection, it won’t be the Verite C because I want a different sound. Most likely my next ZMF would likely be an Eikon or Atticus (which I loved when I heard it at Axpona).

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #68 of 12,522

As a Kentuckian I wanted to thank you personally for the shout out, carry on!

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #69 of 12,522
I really enjoyed visiting Kentucky, my brother 'n' law lived in Bowling Green. I thoroughly enjoyed going to a bunch of the distilleries =) Bourbon and Rye are my current favorites, but sipping rum is sneaking back into my collection...what can I say, I have a sweet tooth lol.

I highly recommend people visit Kentucky, lots of cool places to visit. Really good booze, and some outstanding food!!

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #70 of 12,522
Can anyone who’s heard the Verite closed share about the sound isolation from outside noise and also how much sound leaks out to others in the room?

I’ve demoed the open back Verite a bunch of times and i’m sold. A closed back version would be perfect for me as I’ve got a baby on the way so I need to keep the sound down in my home. We’ll see if I still have time for some music here and there but I sure hope so!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #71 of 12,522
Can anyone who’s heard the Verite closed share about the sound isolation from outside noise and also how much sound leaks out to others in the room?

I’ve demoed the open back Verite a bunch of times and i’m sold. A closed back version would be perfect for me as I’ve got a baby on the way so I need to keep the sound down in my home. We’ll see if I still have time for some music here and there but I sure hope so!
I thought they isolated very well. They managed to drown out the London CanJam noise infinitely better than my Focal Stellia did. In that environment I thought they sounded better than the open back Verite IMHO. For me these headphones were the best in show and that why I bought them

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #72 of 12,522
I thought they isolated very well. They managed to drown out the London CanJam noise infinitely better than my Focal Stellia did. In that environment I thought they sounded better than the open back Verite IMHO. For me these headphones were the best in show and that why I bought them
In what ways did they sound better than the open Verite......tonally, soundstage?

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #73 of 12,522
In what ways did they sound better than the open Verite......tonally, soundstage?
I guess mainly down to the isolation they sounded better. I’m guessing in a quieter environment my opinion might change. I thought they were dynamic, punchy, just beautiful with voices and most of they sounded open and airy, most unlike a closed back headphone. They were also full sounded, musical but still with lots of detail. I was jobsmacked really

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #74 of 12,522

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

Aug 7, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #75 of 12,522
Anyone else checking the ZMF website daily for news on the closed back Verité? I'm signed up to the newsletter but... patience is not a virtue of mine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back