ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Aug 12, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #301 of 2,544
  Can anyone comment on the comfort differences between the pilot pad and the leather strap? I apologize if this has been asked before, I'm not sure how I could even find it via search.

I usually tell people to go with what they feel looks the best, simply because I rarely have anyone find either uncomfortable.  In rare cases some like the leather strap better if their head is a little bumpy, or has a bump on it, and some like the pilot pad better if their head is rounder on top.

Absolutely beautiful Zach, I'm in love with the look of this pair!

I apologize if this has been answered before, but will you be offering upgrades from Blackwood to Omni? 

Some of the Blackwood sets have stripes while some do not, they are all beautiful in their own way.

Upgrades will open September 1st, I am not sure as to pricing yet, I need to calculate how many drivers I've been wasting doing the mod!  It won't be craziness.

the walnut and cherry are especially gorgeous in person, in a way the photos can't quite capture.

I agree!  I'm almost done with the Varnish on the Walnut and Cherry sets, then they can sit for 5 days and will be ready for action early next week!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 12, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #302 of 2,544
  Can anyone comment on the comfort differences between the pilot pad and the leather strap? I apologize if this has been asked before, I'm not sure how I could even find it via search.

Personally, I find the strap more comfortable than the pad, but I've been told by Zach that that's unusual.  It's probably a head shape thing.  Not that my head is particularly oddly shaped, it just seems to like the strap better.

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #303 of 2,544

I prefer the feel of the pilot pad, but found that (especially with new, unbroken-in cowhide pads) that the clamping was a little too light, and I had some seal issues. The strap conforms to the head a little more tightly, and the clamp was better and made for a more secure fit. I went with both for the best of both worlds.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #304 of 2,544

I prefer the feel of the pilot pad, but found that (especially with new, unbroken-in cowhide pads) that the clamping was a little too light, and I had some seal issues. The strap conforms to the head a little more tightly, and the clamp was better and made for a more secure fit. I went with both for the best of both worlds.

+1 for both (Pilot Pad wrapped over Buffalo Band).  Having both lets you pull the sliders out a bit more and gives me a better placement of the cups against my head, reducing the pressure points I was getting at the top near my temples.

Still haven't tried the cowhide pads with just the leather band to see if it helps improve the seal. Totally comfy with the lambskins pads.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #305 of 2,544

Personally I found the pad over the headband to be an awkward fit, though to be fair I didn't put much time into bending the headband.  The strap worked well, and I'd be fine with using it, the only qualm is that it made the headphones feel heavy on the head after a while.

Myself, and a few others here, really like putting the pilot pad over top of the leather strap.  I feel this is the "best of both worlds" as the strap contours the pad to the shape of your head, really a perfect fit IMO, and incredibly comfortable.  I can wear the headphones for hours this way with little to no fatigue.

An added bonus is that this decreases the clamping force, while also creating a better seal on the bottom of your ear.

It does require the sliders / cups to be lowered a bit more than when using only the pad / strap, which means it may not go down far enough when fully extended for some people with very large noggins.  But I have a pretty big head and it fits just fine, with an inch or so to spare on the sliders.

Between wearing the pilot pad this way and getting the earpads tilted just right and broken-in, the comfort level is just ridiculous.  I can easily fall asleep at my desk while wearing these.  The best I've experienced yet, even when compared to headphones weighing a lot less.

My little soapbox rant here:
In the quest for ultimate sound quality, many people neglect the comfort aspect and end up buying a great sounding headphone that is uncomfortable after being worn for 30 minutes.  If their goal is for the headphones to "disappear", or to achieve a high level of immersion, this will be problematic.  The resulting listening experience is akin to watching a film on a 4K ultra HD TV while sitting in a brittle plastic chair - it's a delight to the senses until your butt goes numb.  The Blackwood is awesome because it excels at both SQ and comfort, rather than making you choose between the two, and I have no doubt this will apply to the Omni as well.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #306 of 2,544
Can't wait for my Walnut Omni to come in!

Is there steps or a video on how to swap the pads on the Omni?  I remember reading about a trick for the Blackwood/Vibro's but the Omni's look like the pad sits differently.

Is it simply just pulling the pad off and putting other one on?

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #307 of 2,544

My little soapbox rant here:
In the quest for ultimate sound quality, many people neglect the comfort aspect and end up buying a great sounding headphone that is uncomfortable after being worn for 30 minutes.  If their goal is for the headphones to "disappear", or to achieve a high level of immersion, this will be problematic.  The resulting listening experience is akin to watching a film on a 4K ultra HD TV while sitting in a brittle plastic chair - it's a delight to the senses until your butt goes numb.  The Blackwood is awesome because it excels at both SQ and comfort, rather than making you choose between the two, and I have no doubt this will apply to the Omni as well.

+1

That description is spot-on for my Signature Pros prior to the ZMF pads. I totally agree Zach's headphones really do have both qualities.

FWIW, I found both options to be fine. I think I like the pilot pad a little better, but I didn't really do a head-to-head.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #308 of 2,544
Zach,

Is it possible to get both the pad and the strap for the Omni? for an additional fee if need be. Is possible for someone to switch between the 2 on their own? or are they more of a permanent fix? Comfort is one of the most important things to me, and I hear great reviews about the comforts for your headphones, which is one of the reasons why I jumped on this. However, I am very sensitive to any tightness and have many occassion sold my headphones because I cannot listen to them for more than an hour long. I really want the Omni to be the end game headphone for me. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #309 of 2,544
Just ordered the Cherry Lambskin...because I want that "je ne sais quoi".

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #310 of 2,544
  Can't wait for my Walnut Omni to come in!

Is there steps or a video on how to swap the pads on the Omni?  I remember reading about a trick for the Blackwood/Vibro's but the Omni's look like the pad sits differently.

Is it simply just pulling the pad off and putting other one on?

I made a not so great video on how to do it. (click)

Zach,

Is it possible to get both the pad and the strap for the Omni? for an additional fee if need be. Is possible for someone to switch between the 2 on their own? or are they more of a permanent fix? Comfort is one of the most important things to me, and I hear great reviews about the comforts for your headphones, which is one of the reasons why I jumped on this. However, I am very sensitive to any tightness and have many occassion sold my headphones because I cannot listen to them for more than an hour long. I really want the Omni to be the end game headphone for me. 

Yep, for any Omni order I'll happily add both, just let me know.  It's tough to switch between JUST pilot pad and JUST leather band as the screws are different sizes.  The leather band screws are larger/thicker,  so once the leather band is on it's better that it stays on as the Pilot pad screws may not hold.  I can send headphones out with whatever headband option is desired.  The Pilot Pad is velcro'd on so you can take it on and off without issue.  Although getting it over the leather band can take a minute!

Tightness of the headband can be easily adjusted by pulling the sliders out and bending the band.  It's easy to make it too loose, too tight, or just right.  Once you get the fit correctly just leave it as the headband keeps it's memory.

I want that "je ne sais quoi".

"Quoi" added!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 13, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #311 of 2,544

I made a not so great video on how to do it. (click)

Yep, for any Omni order I'll happily add both, just let me know.  It's tough to switch between JUST pilot pad and JUST leather band as the screws are different sizes.  The leather band screws are larger/thicker,  so once the leather band is on it's better that it stays on as the Pilot pad screws may not hold.  I can send headphones out with whatever headband option is desired.  The Pilot Pad is velcro'd on so you can take it on and off without issue.  Although getting it over the leather band can take a minute!

Tightness of the headband can be easily adjusted by pulling the sliders out and bending the band.  It's easy to make it too loose, too tight, or just right.  Once you get the fit correctly just leave it as the headband keeps it's memory.

"Quoi" added!

Thanks for the video Zach.  That's the same way I put on the HD25-1 pads.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #313 of 2,544
  -rubs hands together-

Nice photo work, can't wait to get my pair and give them a listen! 

I'm excited to get them out there!  I just finished the last coat of varnish on the first batch of Omni's, not just have to wait through weekend for them to dry and then it's go time!

BTW, the Blackwood sets get an entirely different finish process designed to bring out their sexy grain and retain the color of the wood.  So that's why they aren't pictured.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #314 of 2,544

Personally, I find the strap more comfortable than the pad, but I've been told by Zach that that's unusual.  It's probably a head shape thing.  Not that my head is particularly oddly shaped, it just seems to like the strap better.

FWIW, I do as well. I also find that it stays more stable on my head than the pilot pad. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back