ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Aug 11, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #286 of 2,544
While the most recent meet gave us more omni impressions, I'm still haven't heard a lot of comparisons between the different wood models. Still debating between staying with the walnut or getting the blackwoods.

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #287 of 2,544
I'm going to let this information swirl around in my feeble mind for a few days before making a decision. My knee jerk reaction is telling me to lay down the funds and just order the Omni but I'm not 100% sure which flavour of Omni to go with just yet. I like the description of what the Blackwood flavour offers in terms of SQ but I like the "Look" of the other wood options better. 
Hrrrmmm...Form or Function, that is the question :confused_face(1):

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

The walnut would be great for you! They're really actually only different when compared side-by-side. Blackwood is quite thumpy in the bass (still detailed and tight) and has a somewhat more energetic and aggressive sig. Treble has bite but is still smooth. Walnut is similar but slightly less aggressive, still with tremendous bass slam, and a smooth sig, maybe a little more balanced than black woods. Cherry is very linear, least "thumpy" bass. Someone at the Chicago meet told me they thought it was slightly mid-forward, but I heard it as perhaps the most linear/neutral of the bunch. Biggest soundstage too.
In terms of looks, you can check the Chicago meet impressions thread, or wait till Zach posts pics, but I have to say the Walnut and especially cherry were even more gorgeous than the pics on the website. By a lot. Black wood looks nice, a stripey matte finish but if you want looks and the more blackwood type sound, walnut is a good bet. Cheaper too!
YMMV, but hope that helps.

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #290 of 2,544

BLACKWOOD                                  WALNUT                                             CHERRY

A couple more pics of the first production sets (click for larger view):

While the most recent meet gave us more omni impressions, I'm still haven't heard a lot of comparisons between the different wood models. Still debating between staying with the walnut or getting the blackwoods.

I've gotten a lot of questions regarding the tonality of each wood.  After testing on the production sets I've found the earpads used also have a great effect on the sound.  I would character the earpads like this:

Cowhide ZMF PadsThe Darkest punchiest earpad.  Seems to be slightly warmer and slightly more engaging/mid-centric.  Very dynamic.

Lambskin ZMF Pads:  Larger soundstage, slightly brighter than Cowhide, good punch and dynamics.  What I would consider neutral compared to the other 2.

Protein ZMF Pads:  Brightest ZMF Pad.  A db or two less bass, slightly accentuated treble by a db or 2.  More linear sound.  Still keeps the robust ZMF sound.

As far as the woods:

Blackwood:  Smooth.  Quick/fast transients.  A dark resolving sound with OOMPH.  Most sub-woofer effect of the three, can be overpowering with Cowhide Pads, I prefer Lambskin or Protein on the Blackwood Omni.

Walnut:   Most neutral presentation.  Has much of the speed/depth/extension of the Blackwood and the soundstage/openness of the Cherry.  Has been the most popular wood so far. 

Cherry:  Romantic and resolving presentation.  Greater decay than Walnut or Blackwood, but with lifelike instrument timbre, especially for acoustic instrument IMHO.  A touch of bloom for that "je ne sais qois" that you need in your life.  Still fast, still deep. LARGEST soundstage.

-------------

It's worth noting that all sets are tuned exactly the same.  I would recommend getting two different types of pads (everyone gets to choose two sets upon ordering) so that you can "pad roll" a little for your favorite sound.

And NO, having the pilot pad or leather band doesn't affect the sound, at least to my measurements and ears!

-----------

Lastly, I have started production on all the current pre-order sets of which will start shipping next week.  I am finishing them all in one batch as can be seen on my instagram account, which I'll do my best to update more with production photo's.  Once they are all finished, I'll start shipping at least 5 Omni's a week.  So you can check the google order sheet and kinda guestimate when your headphones will be shipped!

And yes!  The finishing work in done in the super spacious ZMF apartment workshop....do NOT WORRY about my health though, I switched to waterborne finish and natural oil varnish and have a ventilation system and keep the finishing room door closed and my mask on!  ZMF lives!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 12, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #292 of 2,544
Dang, Blackwood sounds very intimidating. But, then again I feel like I don't need another balance cans. Something that would deviate from my Alpha Prime is a welcome change.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #293 of 2,544
lol no wonder Jjacq thought here was too much bass, the cowhides must be too punchy for him.

Seriously considering changing to the blackwoods and changing the pads to protein.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #294 of 2,544
Dang, lambskins have more soundstage? Just another reason to stop by later with my Sig Pros. XD

EDIT: Also, I agree with Zach's description of the three wood types. If I were to use one word for each, I would say:

cherry      : resonant
walnut      : neutral
blackwood : aggressive

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #295 of 2,544
Now if only the Decware amp I ordered would ship soon as well.

Good choice.  Anyone who has met me at a show knows my love for the Decware Taboo MK III.  It's a fun and lovely sounding amp!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 12, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #296 of 2,544

BLACKWOOD                                  

Absolutely beautiful Zach, I'm in love with the look of this pair!

I apologize if this has been answered before, but will you be offering upgrades from Blackwood to Omni?  

If so, I'm still going to wait until I demo the Omni through the tour before deciding whether or not to upgrade, simply because of how much I love my Blackwood!  Still my favorite headphones 8 months into owning them!

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #298 of 2,544
The walnut would be great for you! They're really actually only different she compared side-by-side. Blackwood is quite thumps in the bass (still detailed and tight) and has a somewhat more energetic and aggressive sig. Treble has bite but is still smooth. Walnut is similar but slightly less aggressive, still with tremendous bass slam, still a smooth sig, maybe a little more balanced than black woods. Cherry is very linear, least "thumpy" bass. Someone at the Chicago meet told me they thought it was slightly mid-forward, but I heard it as perhaps the most linear/neutral of the bunch. Biggest soundstage too.
In terms of looks, you can check the Chicago meet impressions thread, or wait till Zach posts pics, but I have to say the Walnut and especially cherry were even more gorgeous than the pics on the website. By a lot. Black wood looks nice, but if you want looks and the more blackwood type sound, walnut is a good bet. Cheaper too!
YMMV, but hope that helps.

Thanks for the insight and impressions on the various models.

After seeing these latest pics I would say that they all look great but the Walnut has been pushed to the top of my list now.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #299 of 2,544
Thanks for the insight and impressions on the various models.

After seeing these latest pics I would say that they all look great but the Walnut has been pushed to the top of my list now.

Sure thing!
The blackwoods look nice in person, but the walnut and cherry are especially gorgeous in person, in a way the photos can't quite capture. Sounds cliche I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back