ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Aug 4, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #271 of 2,544
I'm highly interested in picking up a pair of these... I had previously crossed them off my shopping list due to the semi-open design, but how bad is it really for use in an office environment? At reasonable levels (and I typically listen at what most would call a low level) is someone going to know you've got music going from 6 feet away? 12 feet? (Outside the building?
dt880smile.png
) Is there a meaningful difference in isolation between the cherry/walnut/blackwood iterations?

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #272 of 2,544
Hey so who has the tour unit? Any impressions?

It's my fault, I sent out that Blackwood set last week and they got to the touree on monday.  I did this because the difference in wood type is pretty striking, more-so than the Vibro and Blackwood, so I thought it important to get them both out.  I'm sure impressions are coming, but they just got the second unit in.

how bad is it really for use in an office environment? At reasonable levels (and I typically listen at what most would call a low level) is someone going to know you've got music going from 6 feet away? 12 feet? (Outside the building?
dt880smile.png
) Is there a meaningful difference in isolation between the cherry/walnut/blackwood iterations?

They are more closed than they are open, but they are definitely "semi open" and in a quiet environment will leak some sound especially if played at moderate to louder volumes.  I have chilled in bed by my wife and not woken her up with them on at moderate/low volume.  In an office with normal chatter people won't hear them, in a library it would probably be too much.

No difference between the types of wood.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 5, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #273 of 2,544
Here's my review folks. Thanks a lot Zach for the headphones. I will be sending them to the next person hopefully tomorrow or the day after.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/zmf-headphones-omni/reviews/13703

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #274 of 2,544
  Here's my review folks. Thanks a lot Zach for the headphones. I will be sending them to the next person hopefully tomorrow or the day after.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/zmf-headphones-omni/reviews/13703

Thanks for the review and nice shots!  One thing I got from the review was a sense that the different wood had a pretty drastic effect on the tonality.  Was it really that different for you, or was it more to nuanced?

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #275 of 2,544

Thanks for the review and nice shots!  One thing I got from the review was a sense that the different wood had a pretty drastic effect on the tonality.  Was it really that different for you, or was it more to nuanced?

Really different to which I was surprised with as well but I feel like it was Zach's intention to give different sound signatures to each wood finish. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #276 of 2,544

Really different to which I was surprised with as well but I feel like it was Zach's intention to give different sound signatures to each wood finish. 

Your review suggests that the Walnut Omni might be Goldilocks' choice
smile_phones.gif

I'm now more keen to listen to that variant. Heck, I want to try out all three! Hope Zack now sticks to his original plan to send the Walnut to Europe/Asia, along with the BW if it's ready [sorry for flip-flopping!].

At work lately, I've been listening to the K7XXs I bought out of curiousity on the last drop, but brought my BW Purplehearts in today for a change. Mids and highs are so much smoother/musical and the firm/fast bass makes me smile every time. I'm almost tempted to pull the trigger on the Omni so I can have a set of ZMFs both at work and at home. But I'd better wait until I listen to at least one of them before deciding which flavour to get.

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #277 of 2,544

I feel like it was Zach's intention to give different sound signatures to each wood finish. 

I do want each wood to display differences in Timbre, Soundstage and presentation, but they should all have the same frequency response.  I just started the production run on the first batch, and will take back these pre-pro sets and get some production sets out on tour next week.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 10, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #278 of 2,544
Hello,

I've been eye-balling these cans for a while now with much interest and my urge to avoid purchasing them is becoming a lost cause. They are a very fine looking piece of hardware. I want them!

BUT...I have a few questions though (for now
wink.gif
) about the Omni that I'm hoping ZMF can answer for me:

1. Have you tested these cans with a Pono Player in balanced mode by chance? If so..thoughts?

2. In theory..should a Pono player have enough juice to drive these cans to their full potential with minimal distortion into high volumes (in balanced mode) ?

3. Do you offer a balanced wiring option that would work with the Pono Player?

4. Have you had a chance yet to eyeball/touch the new Fostex drivers that have replaced the ones used in these cans to confirm they will work? I guess I have a little concern that if in the unlikely event I fry one of the drivers of the Omni several years from now that a replacement may not be available and I'll have to resort to scouring Craigs List or Fleabay for a Unicorn driver.  

Thanks for any info you can provide

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #279 of 2,544
  Hello,

I've been eye-balling these cans for a while now with much interest and my urge to avoid purchasing them is becoming a lost cause. They are a very fine looking piece of hardware. I want them!

BUT...I have a few questions though (for now
wink.gif
) about the Omni that I'm hoping ZMF can answer for me:

1. Have you tested these cans with a Pono Player in balanced mode by chance? If so..thoughts?

2. In theory..should a Pono player have enough juice to drive these cans to their full potential with minimal distortion into high volumes (in balanced mode) ?

3. Do you offer a balanced wiring option that would work with the Pono Player?

4. Have you had a chance yet to eyeball/touch the new Fostex drivers that have replaced the ones used in these cans to confirm they will work? I guess I have a little concern that if in the unlikely event I fry one of the drivers of the Omni several years from now that a replacement may not be available and I'll have to resort to scouring Craigs List or Fleabay for a Unicorn driver.  

Thanks for any info you can provide

1/3. I'm pretty sure the Pono can run them well, there are 3-4 or ZMF owners with different models that all are happy with their Pono Players.  I have made balanced Pono cables for two people, and both of them are happy with the cables, the only stipulation is that I don't own a pono right now and since their system is proprietary I have no way to test the cables before they go out.  SO worst case scenario, I'd have to send you a second cable.  They are very simple cables to solder though so I wouldn't for-see an issue.  I guess I just need to grab a pono!

2. Yes -  In theory and practice I believe this to be true, again, I haven't tested though, just based on feedback from owners.

3.  See above.

4.  Everyone I have spoken with says the new driver membrane is exactly the same with minor changes.  We have a good amount of t50rp mk II stock, but plan on tuning to the same FR master curve for the MK III.  I will be using the same cups/baffles etc etc for the MK III when they arrive as all we use in the Omni enclosure is the driver.  There will be no issue if a replacement is needed.  My warranty is one year, and after that I just charge cost of parts to the original owner as long as they hold onto the headphone.

---------------

On a side note.  I brought one of each set with the *NEW* and finalized Omni tuning to the Chicago Head-fi meet this last weekend, and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive, so I am ready to declare the Omni good to go and will be proceeding with production.  This means the tour sets will go out later this week, and the first production units for the pre-order will ship next week.  Here's a pic of the finishing area in it's current state.  I'm gonna attack those cups with finish!

On that note, I decided to go with a hand rubbed Varnish for the Cherry and Walnut sets (it doesn't look as good on the Blackwood), which does mean a little more drying time.  But the look is worth it IMHO.  I'll post a few pics later of the first production sets with the hand applied varnish.  Think "sexy violin." 
wink_face.gif

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #280 of 2,544

On that note, I decided to go with a hand rubbed Varnish for the Cherry and Walnut sets (it doesn't look as good on the Blackwood), which does mean a little more drying time.  But the look is worth it IMHO.  I'll post a few pics later of the first production sets with the hand applied varnish.  Think "sexy violin." 
wink_face.gif

^ Attended the meet, can confirm, Cherry Omnis were drop-dead beautiful. Like a light, red-tinged blonde finish on a stringed instrument.

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #282 of 2,544
On a side note.  I brought one of each set with the *NEW* and finalized Omni tuning to the Chicago Head-fi meet this last weekend, and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive, so I am ready to declare the Omni good to go and will be proceeding with production.  This means the tour sets will go out later this week, and the first production units for the pre-order will ship next week.  Here's a pic of the finishing area in it's current state.  I'm gonna attack those cups with finish!  

wink_face.gif

Can't wait to get my hands (and ears) on them Omnis!

Er ... you live in an apartment, right Zach?
blink.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #283 of 2,544

1/3. I'm pretty sure the Pono can run them well, there are 3-4 or ZMF owners with different models that all are happy with their Pono Players.  I have made balanced Pono cables for two people, and both of them are happy with the cables, the only stipulation is that I don't own a pono right now and since their system is proprietary I have no way to test the cables before they go out.  SO worst case scenario, I'd have to send you a second cable.  They are very simple cables to solder though so I wouldn't for-see an issue.  I guess I just need to grab a pono!

2. Yes -  In theory and practice I believe this to be true, again, I haven't tested though, just based on feedback from owners.

3.  See above.

4.  Everyone I have spoken with says the new driver membrane is exactly the same with minor changes.  We have a good amount of t50rp mk II stock, but plan on tuning to the same FR master curve for the MK III.  I will be using the same cups/baffles etc etc for the MK III when they arrive as all we use in the Omni enclosure is the driver.  There will be no issue if a replacement is needed.  My warranty is one year, and after that I just charge cost of parts to the original owner as long as they hold onto the headphone.

---------------

wink_face.gif

I'm going to let this information swirl around in my feeble mind for a few days before making a decision. My knee jerk reaction is telling me to lay down the funds and just order the Omni but I'm not 100% sure which flavour of Omni to go with just yet. I like the description of what the Blackwood flavour offers in terms of SQ but I like the "Look" of the other wood options better. 
Hrrrmmm...Form or Function, that is the question
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #284 of 2,544
Excuse my mental colorblind-ness, but which color is walnut, blackwood etc? I'm interested in the "blond" one..
IMG_3383.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back