ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 25, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #6,601 of 7,384
May I know what is the red ring for? And The Black cover seems to losen up. Is this a concern? Lol.
The red ring indicates that is the right hand side connector. Not sure what to do about the black cover

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #6,602 of 7,384
May I know what is the red ring for? And The Black cover seems to losen up. Is this a concern? Lol.
That black rubber thing keeps the wire in place. It’s structured like a [==]. If it slips out because you accidentally yanked it, just push it back in.

Feb 25, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #6,603 of 7,384
Just push the black plug back in, it's not a big deal. The clamps and solder points hold the wire in place to the 3.5 or other connector, while the plug keeps the wire centered in the enclosure.

Feb 25, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #6,604 of 7,384
I've gotten so tired of pushing mine back in it's just been like this for like a year. lol

20240225_144231.jpg

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #6,606 of 7,384
What pads and mesh for the Caldera would produce the warmest full body sound and least brightness? Has anyone compared the solid mesh vs the mantle mesh on the Caldera?

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #6,607 of 7,384
What pads and mesh for the Caldera would produce the warmest full body sound and least brightness? Has anyone compared the solid mesh vs the mantle mesh on the Caldera?
I as well would like to know the differences between the meshes

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #6,608 of 7,384
I first heard the Caldera (several Calderas on several amps) at the ZMF room in CanJam NYC a year ago. I quickly formed the impression of a high resolution but also musical planar. It seemed a bit honest in the upper mids, but I knew the only way I could assess this was to get one for myself, which I did a couple months later.

The mantle mesh (if memory serves) was just becoming available as an option last spring. I'm reasonably sure most if not all the Calderas at the ZMF booth had the stock mesh. When I learned of the mantle mesh, I asked that it be installed on my new coffee stained oak Caldera instead of the stock mesh. So I never actually compared stock vs mantle mesh.

I ordered 4 sets of pads w/this headphone: stock; thin cowhide; suedes; and lambskin thicks. In my review posted on Head-Fi, I compared the sound of all 4 sets and landed on the lambskin thicks as my favorite (by a wide margin).

My conclusions from all this, in answer to your question:
  • Apparently the mantle mesh did for me, exactly what it was designed to do--slightly bring down the level of the upper midrange, and make that portion of the frequencies smoother. I think I heard that smoothness after burn-in was done.
  • Choice of pads makes a larger, more immediately audible difference in the sound. As I am quite treble averse (translation: averse to "flat" frequency headphones whose upper midrange and treble sound unnaturally bright and insistent compared to music IRL), the thicks instantly locked in the best sound for me, as described in my review.
  • Net/net: IMO, the mantle mesh + lambskin thick pads push the Caldera's sound the most toward a full body sound and least brightness (exactly what I wanted).
Even so, the Caldera still has very high resolution, great bass, great dynamics, and sensational soundstaging. Those things really aren't altered by the frequency response tweaks discussed above.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #6,609 of 7,384
I first heard the Caldera (several Calderas on several amps) at the ZMF room in CanJam NYC a year ago. I quickly formed the impression of a high resolution but also musical planar. It seemed a bit honest in the upper mids, but I knew the only way I could assess this was to get one for myself, which I did a couple months later.

The mantle mesh (if memory serves) was just becoming available as an option last spring. I'm reasonably sure most if not all the Calderas at the ZMF booth had the stock mesh. When I learned of the mantle mesh, I asked that it be installed on my new coffee stained oak Caldera instead of the stock mesh. So I never actually compared stock vs mantle mesh.

I ordered 4 sets of pads w/this headphone: stock; thin cowhide; suedes; and lambskin thicks. In my review posted on Head-Fi, I compared the sound of all 4 sets and landed on the lambskin thicks as my favorite (by a wide margin).

My conclusions from all this, in answer to your question:
  • Apparently the mantle mesh did for me, exactly what it was designed to do--slightly bring down the level of the upper midrange, and make that portion of the frequencies smoother. I think I heard that smoothness after burn-in was done.
  • Choice of pads makes a larger, more immediately audible difference in the sound. As I am quite treble averse (translation: averse to "flat" frequency headphones whose upper midrange and treble sound unnaturally bright and insistent compared to music IRL), the thicks instantly locked in the best sound for me, as described in my review.
  • Net/net: IMO, the mantle mesh + lambskin thick pads push the Caldera's sound the most toward a full body sound and least brightness (exactly what I wanted).
Even so, the Caldera still has very high resolution, great bass, great dynamics, and sensational soundstaging. Those things really aren't altered by the frequency response tweaks discussed above.
Thanks so much for the detailed response. I think that our preferences are similar so I may just go ahead and place my order later this week.

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #6,610 of 7,384
Feb 27, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #6,611 of 7,384
As far as I know, the only mesh option for the Caldera is the Mantle mesh. Stock option is no mesh at all.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #6,612 of 7,384
Out of curiosity, will there be prototypes of the Caldera Closed to try at Axpona in April? It seems like they might be at CanJam NYC, but since I'm much closer to the Chicago area, that's my best chance to demo some ZMFs again. :)

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #6,613 of 7,384
For a warmer full body sound, I always like the suede pads.

I am not as sensitive to brightness as others, so I am not the best person to ask on that one.

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #6,614 of 7,384
For a warmer full body sound, I always like the suede pads.

I am not as sensitive to brightness as others, so I am not the best person to ask on that one.
I recently added the mantle mesh and then tried the suede pads (which I liked before but preferred the stock) and wow... really been loving that combo.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #6,615 of 7,384
I recently added the mantle mesh and then tried the suede pads (which I liked before but preferred the stock) and wow... really been loving that combo.
I need to try that next. After putting on the mantle mesh I put on the thick pads (which I did not like without the mesh) and wow. Haven't wanted to switch pads. At some point I need to swap to the suede and stock to see how the sound with the mantle mesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back