ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 23, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #6,571 of 7,455
I'm planning to use it with an otl tube amp
Then your next headphone will need to be a high impedance dynamic driver headphone.
I'd go for some focals,
No. See above.
soundstage, and it's a bit of a must.
probably will need to be open back due to staging differences, and since you prefer warm, you can cross HD800 off of the list.

Probably Atrium or Verite open, though personally I'd go with Atrium closed, which stages very well for a closed design.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #6,573 of 7,455
Do you prefer Caldera over the CHARYBDIS Or Susvara?
I've heard the Susvara 2-3X and have to say I admire it. Considering my longtime love/hate relationship w/Hifiman (more hate than love), I'm kind of amazed they came out with a design as nuanced as this. It does treble all day but somehow avoids being a treble cannon. That's interesting. But the price is an absolute turn-off. $6K is monopoly money to me...won't pay it for any headphone.

Never heard the Charybdis but am hoping to at CanJam NYC. I have a history of chasing TOTL planars like this, exacerbated by the fact that heavy headphones don't bother me at all. It certainly doesn't hurt that the Charybdis looks like headgear an alien would wear, disembarking from his/her/its UFO...

Having said all that, I must acknowledge that the Caldera, at least to my ears, is such a self-evident TOTL planar, so very good at what it does, with so much ability to scale, that I'm far less inclined to chase planars than I was before.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #6,574 of 7,455
To clarify my question, I meant a more affordable ZMF planar. 😀

ZMF has a range of dynamics, and I'd love to see a ZMF planar down in the Bokeh to Auteur Classic price range.
I’d have to guess, due to the tech, you’re not going to see a planar in same price range as the Bokeh but probably closer to the $2,000 range. This all speculation. Would think next affordable ZMF would be the Bokeh Open before see any others. Maybe Zach can chime in, he’s pretty forthcoming about upcoming releases and things in the works.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #6,575 of 7,455
I’d have to guess, due to the tech, you’re not going to see a planar in same price range as the Bokeh but probably closer to the $2,000 range. This all speculation. Would think next affordable ZMF would be the Bokeh Open before see any others. Maybe Zach can chime in, he’s pretty forthcoming about upcoming releases and things in the works.

There will be prototypes of both the Caldera Closed and the Bokeh Open at CanJam NYC. We're looking forward to folks checking them out and hearing their impressions.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #6,576 of 7,455
Nothing to see here. Just the most incredible looking walnut grain imaginable.

Anyone have any experience sending their Caldera's in for a grille swap?

I'd love to get a 24K Gold grille for this.

IMG_0752.jpg

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #6,577 of 7,455

IMG_0752.jpg
Stunning. I too would love to see a premium service for precious metal grills. Silly and immaterial for sure, but why not? :wink:

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #6,578 of 7,455

IMG_0752.jpg
I have the same Caldera. The oak finish (how it reveals grain, figure and pores) is maybe the best I've ever seen on white oak.

The stock coffee gold grill color on this Caldera variant isn't my favorite, though it undoubtedly suits the coffee gold wood finish. I'd prefer a lighter shade of gold, or maybe titanium/SS.

You mention a grill swap. Is that a thing? I never heard of it (and doubt ZMF wants it to be heard of--what a PITA that would be for them!).

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #6,580 of 7,455
Stunning. I too would love to see a premium service for precious metal grills. Silly and immaterial for sure, but why not? :wink:
I would as well. I've grill swapped my LCDX 21 and I know it's silly but I love them a lot more because of that. Aesthetics play a big part in the enjoyment in this hobby.

This is especially so when a collection starts to build.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #6,581 of 7,455
I have the same Caldera. The oak finish (how it reveals grain, figure and pores) is maybe the best I've ever seen on white oak.

The stock coffee gold grill color on this Caldera variant isn't my favorite, though it undoubtedly suits the coffee gold wood finish. I'd prefer a lighter shade of gold, or maybe titanium/SS.

You mention a grill swap. Is that a thing? I never heard of it (and doubt ZMF wants it to be heard of--what a PITA that would be for them!).
I've sent an Aeolus in for a grille and rod swap before and they did that. It's part of a refurb and was well worth it in my opinion.

Not sure if ZMF would do a grill swap on a non stock grille though. The 24K Gold grilles have only been used on a handful on LTD's.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #6,582 of 7,455

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfS5QTmnG5QXUFROYl-hWb_pzFx2fItFia30zQCiyIxkxFjqQ/viewform

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #6,583 of 7,455
I would as well. I've grill swapped my LCDX 21 and I know it's silly but I love them a lot more because of that. Aesthetics play a big part in the enjoyment in this hobby.

This is especially so when a collection starts to build.
Is that grill in the picture you posted stock, or 24K?

I'd be just as happy with polished brass (if it can be made into a screen).

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #6,585 of 7,455
Is that grill in the picture you posted stock, or 24K?

I'd be just as happy with polished brass (if it can be made into a screen).
Stock.

The Repair form doesn't mention anything regarding Caldera or if it's even possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back