ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 23, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #6,556 of 7,458
What headphones would you guys recommend to complement with the caldera? I was thinking of a dynamic like atrium open. Is it more similar than different? I'm planning to use it with an otl tube amp. I'd go for some focals, but I read they do not shine in soundstage, and it's a bit of a must. I'd like something towards warm and relaxed. The caldera are exciting! ☺️
Any inputs?

Thanks! ☺️
If you like the Caldera and ZMF house sound the Atrium open is probably the best complementary choice

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #6,557 of 7,458
Atrium Closed is more unique imho and will offer a very different presentation being a closed back with unholy amounts of bass and slam if you are into it.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #6,558 of 7,458
What headphones would you guys recommend to complement with the caldera? I was thinking of a dynamic like atrium open. Is it more similar than different? I'm planning to use it with an otl tube amp. I'd go for some focals, but I read they do not shine in soundstage, and it's a bit of a must. I'd like something towards warm and relaxed. The caldera are exciting! ☺️
Any inputs?

Thanks! ☺️

What kind of music do you like to listen to?

Do you have any other headphones beside Caldera? Which other headphones have you tried in the past that you liked?

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #6,559 of 7,458
Any inputs?

Thanks! ☺️
How about Erzetich Charybdis? Seems like a Solid Headphone :p

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #6,561 of 7,458
Feb 23, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #6,562 of 7,458
I used to own and love the Empy for years. IMO both the Elite and Caldera are a clear step up. (Even though the Empy can sound surprisingly good on some higher end gear.)
What do you mean by 'adjusted to the millimetre'?
I completely agree: EMPYREANs scale enormously with proper amplification. I am referring to the adjustment of the rod. Well, I imagine that the Rinaro driver, when focusing on the bass, demands precisely that: a fine adjustment.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #6,563 of 7,458
Hows the Erzetich Charybdis? compared to Caldera? Seems interesting..
In a previous post I dared to compare them, since I own (and listen to) both. This was the summary (IMHO, obviously):

CHARYBDIS: enormously resolute, without falling into tonal imbalance; details at the tip of the iceberg that, however, are not thrown in your face; they translate dynamic contrasts without problem; they attack until they bite, although without making us bleed; crisp and forceful bass; textures of the first level; very good separation and air, but at the price, which we can gladly pay, of placing us in the first row.

CALDERA: "neutral" profile, tending to warm, but with more than enough resolution; smooth treble; dynamic contrasts... pulling on the reins: kisses, not bites; prefer long strokes to short ones; offer a slower decay without being slow, but perhaps for that very reason they deliver a more friendly or "musical" sound; they are not a layering monster, although, in this aspect, they sound better with the OOR than with the ACRO: no doubt, they ask for a bit of current to loosen up. VERY enjoyable.

The CHARYBDIS are cool—not ice-cold—water in the face. The CALDERA, a blanket on your lap in the evening. Pilsen vs "toast". Macallan vs Lagavulin. The CALDERA are a Mediterranean woman. The CHARYBDIS, on the other hand, a Slavic woman, not much given to caresses, but honest: she always comes from the face. I can understand that the CALDERA are more attractive. You could have them as the only headset —it plays a lot of sticks— and be happy. However...

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #6,564 of 7,458
In a previous post I dared to compare them, since I own (and listen to) both. This was the summary (IMHO, obviously):

CHARYBDIS: enormously resolute, without falling into tonal imbalance; details at the tip of the iceberg that, however, are not thrown in your face; they translate dynamic contrasts without problem; they attack until they bite, although without making us bleed; crisp and forceful bass; textures of the first level; very good separation and air, but at the price, which we can gladly pay, of placing us in the first row.

CALDERA: "neutral" profile, tending to warm, but with more than enough resolution; smooth treble; dynamic contrasts... pulling on the reins: kisses, not bites; prefer long strokes to short ones; offer a slower decay without being slow, but perhaps for that very reason they deliver a more friendly or "musical" sound; they are not a layering monster, although, in this aspect, they sound better with the OOR than with the ACRO: no doubt, they ask for a bit of current to loosen up. VERY enjoyable.

The CHARYBDIS are cool—not ice-cold—water in the face. The CALDERA, a blanket on your lap in the evening. Pilsen vs "toast". Macallan vs Lagavulin. The CALDERA are a Mediterranean woman. The CHARYBDIS, on the other hand, a Slavic woman, not much given to caresses, but honest: she always comes from the face. I can understand that the CALDERA are more attractive. You could have them as the only headset —it plays a lot of sticks— and be happy. However...
So you prefer Caldera? ha

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #6,565 of 7,458
Any inputs?

Thanks! ☺️
I think Atrium Open sounds like the best choice based on what you're describing. More different from the Caldera than the Verite Open (which also excels in detail, has a similar sized soundstage, and to my ears has closer tonality than the Atrium does). It's also my one ZMF I tend to like as much on my OTL as the Envy you have coming.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #6,566 of 7,458

Slavic women can be fiery too. And they are attractive. :wink:

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #6,567 of 7,458
Feb 23, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #6,570 of 7,458
Any inputs?

Thanks! ☺️
Verite Open by 12 lengths. I find it and the Caldera to be endlessly fascinating, individually and in comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back