ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
May 26, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #7,441 of 7,609
Was set on Icons 205D/300B - now Aegis is out. Also Abyss DC and Kennertons paper Arkon, CC,...
Maybe the german ZMF "colleague" will add Aegises🤔 also, will see...

If your budget allows - go for the Aegis. It is an outstanding and future proof for any headphone you may have. Lots of tube rolling options to fit your taste.

May 26, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #7,442 of 7,609
There are other transformer-coupled amps mentioned on the (Un)Official Amp Thread for ZMF HP's that are better
yeah maybe, but as I guess not many heard the HP8 to compare and less the 205D!

best advice comes from guys who are "over it" 3,4,5 pages classified listing's with successfully sold gear.
If your budget allows
I'd rather wait a few more months and keep it for years to come.

I just struggle with strong opinions like Envy+Elrog and ZMF+Aegis may go in the same direction...

Just speculating and theorizing!!!!!! haven't heard any of it!!!

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #7,443 of 7,609
So, I listened to the new Calderas on what I have. This is how they rank:

Accuphase A-70 with HP adapter
Accuphase 3850 1/4 output
Synthesis A40bTube Amp with HP adapter
Chord Dave
Chord Mojo 2

If I go with Chord I prefer Dave solo over MDave. Caldera picks up the HF noise of the Mscaler. Mojo 2 great as a portable.

Enjoyed the Synthesis, but the noise floor can be much, but quality of sound is up there with the Accuphase. (DAC CHORD DAVE)

The dedicated HP output of the 3850 preamp is good. Plus, it allows flexibility with both preamp and headphone gain along with a bass compensation. Love the Class A. (DAC DC-37)

The winner is straight from the A-70 amp. The noise floor of the SS amp is silent. Sound signature is pure listening bliss.The only issue you feel the power. Need to listen at a lower volume due to bass impact and hightened instrument presentation.

So, what will end up using most, well don't know.Time will tell. Probably the dedicated HP amp from the 3850 due to convenience.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #7,445 of 7,609
How easy or difficult is the atrium to drive relative to the caldera?
The Atrium is a 300 Ohm dynamic driver headphone, so any amp will need to be effective with gear with high impedance. I recommend checking the ZMF amp thread for details.

The ZMF DD headphones are quite different with regards to amping requirements vs. the planar driver Caldera.

May 27, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #7,446 of 7,609
Listening to this on the Caldera this evening after stressful day. This is what it's all about. Listening with the Aegis/Holo May KTE/Innuos Zenith and it is so, so good. The realism and engagement is stunning!
EDN1156-Misha-Mullov-Abbado-Dream-Circus-CD-MockUp.jpg

May 28, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #7,447 of 7,609
So the thick pads continued to have more issues for me. On two albums in a row it was giving the hall-like effect and didn’t sound right to me. So I took a break and watched goldensound review and he’s a suede fan, so figured what the heck, let’s give the suede pads another run. I used them for the first 3 months exclusively and loved the sound, so let’s throw them back on. Still love them and it’s only in quick switching back and forth where I find the bass lacking. Once I adjust to the sound, it sounds right.

May 28, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #7,448 of 7,609
Anyone have experience with the Arya Organics and he1000se? I’m looking for a good complement to my Calderas under 2k. Any other suggestions also welcome.
I used to have Arya v2 and when I a/b'd with Caldera my distinct impression was that Caldera was just better in every way. More resolving, less sharp, better soundstage, more body, WAY better bass. I struggled to find any way that Arya matched up against Caldera, much less exceeded it. I would think of them more as a lesser and greater riff on the same thing - unless of course you are looking for something thinner and brighter as an alternative to Caldera.

If you're looking for a worthy peer to Caldera from Hifiman, I think you have to go all the way up to Susvara.

May 28, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #7,449 of 7,609
I used to have Arya v2 and when I a/b'd with Caldera my distinct impression was that Caldera was just better in every way. More resolving, less sharp, better soundstage, more body, WAY better bass. I struggled to find any way that Arya matched up against Caldera, much less exceeded it. I would think of them more as a lesser and greater riff on the same thing - unless of course you are looking for something thinner and brighter as an alternative to Caldera.

If you're looking for a worthy peer to Caldera from Hifiman, I think you have to go all the way up to Susvara.
He might also consider just staying in the ZMF family and get a pair of Verite or Atrium in the classifieds open or closed.

There a few in the classifieds under 2k, unless he is dead set on another set of planars.

May 28, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #7,450 of 7,609

Great insight. Thank you. 🙏🏽

May 28, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #7,451 of 7,609
He might also consider just staying in the ZMF family and get a pair of Verite or Atrium in the classifieds open or closed.

There a few in the classifieds under 2k, unless he is dead set on another set of planars.
I couldn't agree more.

I find the Verite Open to be an ideal comparator to the Caldera Open. These headphones differ in many respects, starting with dynamic vs planar driver. Yet both sound wonderful to my ears.

May 28, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #7,452 of 7,609
Anyone have experience with the Arya Organics and he1000se? I’m looking for a good complement to my Calderas under 2k. Any other suggestions also welcome.
For a sound that's fast, with snappy transients, outstanding resolution, lovely treble extension and sparkle, as well as a lighter tonality, I'd recommend the Raal CA-1a with the TI-1b transformer interface. It doesn't need especially powerful amplification and I'm sure your Topping would be up to it. They can be had used for ca. $1.5k.

It's less peaky than the Arya Organic and the HE1k v2, and it has more a even frequency response, with no oddities or unevenness. You can pad roll to get different flavors, one more studio neutral, the other a bit warmer and mellower. And the CA-1a has nice open and fairly spacious staging and excellent imaging as well as plenty of impact and slam. I owned the HE1k v2 and vastly preferred the CA-1a.

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #7,453 of 7,609
I had the Arya V2 and loved it. Those can be had today at around $500-600 which are a steal.

But in a <$2k budget, I second the recommendation for used VO. Some amazing ones are listed ont he classifieds at <$1.5k and it's a great complement for the Caldera, and still one of the best performing dynamic driver headphones, with great speed and amazing synergy with tube amps.

May 28, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #7,454 of 7,609
I couldn't agree more.

I find the Verite Open to be an ideal comparator to the Caldera Open. These headphones differ in many respects, starting with dynamic vs planar driver. Yet both sound wonderful to my ears.
I had the Arya V2 and loved it. Those can be had today at around $500-600 which are a steal.

But in a <$2k budget, I second the recommendation for used VO. Some amazing ones are listed ont he classifieds at <$1.5k and it's a great complement for the Caldera, and still one of the best performing dynamic driver headphones, with great speed and amazing synergy with tube amps.
I agree with these suggestions, VO is a great complimentary headphone beside CO. Speedy and fast but with overall different timbre/nuances than Caldera. I still don't know which i prefer between those two

May 28, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #7,455 of 7,609
I have the Caldera and HEKV2 non stealth and they are a great complement to each other. As a quick comparison, I would describe the HEKV2 as being 'vivid' and very open sounding for an open back.

It is also very much of a chameleon and the sound signature can change quite dramatically depending on the chain you are using.

Some people have commented that the HEKV2 can sound bright and lean in the bass department. With the right DAC & amplifier such as the Cayin HA-3A, the bass becomes much more prominent and the treble is much more controlled and well extended.

The Caldera in comparison has more bass, especially sub bass, sounds less open but the midrange, especially with vocals cannot be matched by the HEKV2. The Caldera also wins with its natural timbre, note weight and that special organic touch of warmth.

Personally, the HEK stealth versions don't work for me because the treble is 'hotter' but YMMV.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back