ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
May 25, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #7,411 of 7,609
What does the Atrium bring to the table that the Caldera does not?
I have both.
they have different strength and different chain for the best synergy to some degree. When i tried atrium on my friend setup which he tuned it in a way for biggest soundstage, atrium was magic, whilst the caldera becomes somewhat detached, less engaging. Conversely, my setup which is tuned for, say, 3d and more intimacy, the caldera takes the cake over atrium.
In my experience though which might be different than everyone else is that, caldera is overall more romantic than atrium both in my and my friend setup. (tube pre into SS amp).

May 25, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #7,413 of 7,609
Anyone have any recommendations for a good headphone amp for the Caldera Open/Atrium Open? Right now I just have a Motu m2 that goes to a schiit magni but it needs to be on high gain. Needs to be something that is not super massive as it sits on my computer desk. Looking at a budget around $500. Ideally 1/4" or 4 pin XLR

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #7,414 of 7,609
Anyone have any recommendations for a good headphone amp for the Caldera Open/Atrium Open? Right now I just have a Motu m2 that goes to a schiit magni but it needs to be on high gain. Needs to be something that is not super massive as it sits on my computer desk.
What's your budget?

Also, what's the output voltage of the Motu m2?

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #7,415 of 7,609
A few of questions about Caldera pads...

1 - what is the effectual difference between the "Lambskin stock (top & side perf)" vs "Lambskin Ultra Perf"?
2 - why isn't there a "Lambskin Thick Ultra Perf"?
3 - has anyone tried the Tungsten "Caldera hybrid pads" on Caldera? Why isn't it an option in the ZMF shop"?
1. Ultra Perf has Perf inside the pad. It's Perf everywhere. Standard pads have no Perf on the inside.
2. It likely sounded crap
3. Dunno. What about Bokeh hybrid? Maybe they are different but the tungsten ones sounded crap as well?

May 25, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #7,418 of 7,609
Anyone have any recommendations for a good headphone amp for the Caldera Open/Atrium Open? Right now I just have a Motu m2 that goes to a schiit magni but it needs to be on high gain. Needs to be something that is not super massive as it sits on my computer desk. Looking at a budget around $500. Ideally 1/4" or 4 pin XLR
I heard the Nitsch Pietus Maximus (Schiit collaboration) at a CanJam and it sounded nice. I do have the Midgard and for $219 it is a nice amp from Schiit. If you can go higher in cost I'd recommend amps from Lake People/Violectric. Those are very well engineered and work nicely with ZMFs. The JDS Labs/ZMF Homage is a nice SS amp too. The best synergy I've experienced with dynamics and planars is the Icon Audio HP8. Audioarcan is an authorized distributor near Barrie, Ontario and they are very helpful.

May 25, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #7,419 of 7,609
That’s where I landed as well (though with closed-back versions of them due to my listening scenarios).

Having those two covers a LOT of sonic/musical ground.

(I am also fortunate enough to have a VC, which likely “overkill” as it overlaps a bit with the Caldera Closed but with a dynamic driver. I doubt I’ll be willing to part with it, though!)
Ya Blackwood VC is very similar to the caldera in terms of speed and dynamics but I gotta give the tonality to the caldera

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #7,420 of 7,609
I heard the Nitsch Pietus Maximus (Schiit collaboration) at a CanJam and it sounded nice. I do have the Midgard and for $219 it is a nice amp from Schiit. If you can go higher in cost I'd recommend amps from Lake People/Violectric. Those are very well engineered and work nicely with ZMFs. The JDS Labs/ZMF Homage is a nice SS amp too. The best synergy I've experienced with dynamics and planars is the Icon Audio HP8. Audioarcan is an authorized distributor near Barrie, Ontario and they are very helpful.
+ 1 for Lake People/Violectric. Both great options and you could find second-hand units in your budget.

I’d suggest the Feliks Audio Echo, but that’s too large for your desk, I’d expect. Plus the added cost for tube upgrades would blow your budget. 😝

I’ve used the Nitsch Piety with the dynamic-driver ZMFs with impressive results, leaving you money for music, but I don’t know how the Piety would perform with the Caldera. The Pietus Maximus sounds like a great option- I just haven’t tried it personally.

May 25, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #7,421 of 7,609
If you can find a used Hagerman Tuba that would be my choice for something excellent with both. I find amping the CO and AO difficult as most of the time my fav for one is not good with the other, especially at the lower price points. If you want to keep costs down honestly the Asgard 3 is a really fun amp for them both. Lots of power and a nice warm tonal balance. Assuming the Tuba is not available. Lyr 3 would be nice as well.

May 25, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #7,423 of 7,609
Anyone have any recommendations for a good headphone amp for the Caldera Open/Atrium Open?

I've not heard either of those headphones with these amps, so take this advice with caution, but you might consider a Schiit Lyr + (which is a pretty great amp, I posted some impressions of it here, fwiw) or the SW51+, which can only be had used at the moment, I believe. Let me stress that I don't know if these amps would be good for both headphones. But they might be worth looking into to see if others have found them to be good pairings.

I'd also be considering a Pietus Maximus, as @G8torbyte suggests, as I've seen highly laudatory reviews of it.

May 25, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #7,424 of 7,609
I updated the post but it was about $500. And the output voltage limit seems like 3.6v. The motu m2 is mostly used for my mic in/speakers/out to headphone amp but if there is a better way I am all for it.
I am going to assume you are a Windows or a Mac user.

I would set the Motu just as your mic input and get a new DAC/Amp stack for your music listening audio output needs.

Not sure if your speakers are powered or passive, but your headphone amp can act as your pre-amp to the speakers or the Motu. This way you can control volume from one piece of gear instead of one for headphones and one for speakers.

If you're a streamer you set audio 1 for the DAC and audio 2 for the mic in OBS.

At this point you ask yourself what kind of sound signature you're looking for. Some folks like the high technical sound where it's all about the measurements. If that's the case Topping and SMSL might be your thing. I personally find Topping and SMSL dry and boring.

If you are willing to spend a little bit more money, I think the Fiio K9 Pro is a good choice. It's a good brand that rides the line in the mid-fi space between highly technical and musical sounding.

Take whatever I say or anyone says with a grain of salt, because no one knows what you're going to like but you. Synergy between the user and the hardware is just as important as the synergy between components.

In your case don't buy used. Buy new from somewhere with a good return policy. If what you buy does not click for you return it for something else.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #7,425 of 7,609
I am going to assume you are a Windows or a Mac user.

I would set the Motu just as your mic input and get a new DAC/Amp stack for your music listening audio output needs.

Not sure if your speakers are powered or passive, but your headphone amp can act as your pre-amp to the speakers or the Motu. This way you can control volume from one piece of gear instead of one for headphones and one for speakers.

If you're a streamer you set audio 1 for the DAC and audio 2 for the mic in OBS.

At this point you ask yourself what kind of sound signature you're looking for. Some folks like the high technical sound where it's all about the measurements. If that's the case Topping and SMSL might be your thing. I personally find Topping and SMSL dry and boring.

If you are willing to spend a little bit more money, I think the Fiio K9 Pro is a good choice. It's a good brand that rides the line in the mid-fi space between highly technical and musical sounding.

Take whatever I say or anyone says with a grain of salt, because no one knows what you're going to like but you. Synergy between the user and the hardware is just as important as the synergy between components.

In your case don't buy used. Buy new from somewhere with a good return policy. If what you buy does not click for you return it for something else.
Windows user yep. Not a streamer just like some better audio since I spend 8+ hours a day here. Right now it is windows pc to motu m2. Then using the outs on that to both headphone amp (magni) and speakers and my mic goes in via XLR.

That might be the way to go of mic goes into the m2 and get a new amp/dac. Thanks for the suggestion. I am for sure warm leaning when it comes to sound. One issue I have is being in Canada and a lot less places selling higher end audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back