ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Jan 12, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #6,151 of 7,069
I'm using the mantle mesh...when I ordered my coffee-stained oak Caldera, I asked that it come with the mantle mesh (I'd heard a number of Caldera w/stock mesh at CanJam, and knew I wanted the mantle mesh instead).

Anyway, 4 pairs of pads came with my Caldera: stock pads; cowhide thins; suede; and lambskin thicks. It's easy to hear how great the stock pads are. The things and suede each did certain things differently, but the thicks pushed certain elements of the already great sound in exactly the right direction for me, so the thicks are my pick (never took them off). But that's just my sonic preferences in action....
Nice to hear. I just put on the Caldera Thick and I'm really liking them as well.

I'll install the Mantle Mesh tomorrow and try the Thicks to see if that's my preferred pairing.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #6,152 of 7,069
Curious if anyone is using the Mantle Mesh and if they are what pads they recommend?
It really depends on your hearing and ear anatomy. Zach said, only 10% of the customers need/use the mantle mesh. I tried it on five different pads and if I was going to use the mesh, I would probably do it on the stock pads. The mesh does what it says on the tin: brings down the upper-mid/treble frequencies for those who find the Caldera too spicy in that area. I would say the mesh dials down those frequencies by approximately 10-15%. It really changes the sound for an easier listen without any negative effect on tonal balance. The 'price' you pay is a 5-10% perceived loss of resolution/fine details. At least that's how I hear it.

Whether you need the mesh and with which pads, will be highly personal, and as I said comes down to ear anatomy, so there is not one right answer. To me the mesh worked well with the stock pads. I wouldn't need/use the mesh at all, but on the stock pads to me it felt they offer a viable alternative sound. On the thick pads (which is my favourite) I felt the mesh for me dampens those frequencies too much, starting to lose out too much on space and resolution. The thick pads already tame those lively upper-mids/lower-treble to a smaller extent than the mesh and it is just the perfect spot for me.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #6,153 of 7,069
I'm using the mantle mesh...when I ordered my coffee-stained oak Caldera, I asked that it come with the mantle mesh installed. I'd heard a number of Calderas w/the stock mesh at CanJam, and knew I wanted to try the mantle mesh.

Anyway, 4 pairs of pads came with my Caldera: stock pads; cowhide thins; suede; and lambskin thicks. It's easy to hear how great the stock pads are. The things and suede each did certain things differently, but the thicks pushed certain elements of the already great sound in exactly the right direction for me, so the thicks are my pick (never took them off). So it's easy to recommend the thicks (just my sonic preferences in action).
  • Also, I hear my Caldera only via NOS DACs. I have 3 in the office, and 2 are always installed in my 2 systems here at any given time.
But for anyone who prizes neutral-sounding gear and thus would appreciate pushing the resolution of the Caldera (a very resolving headphone, for sure), the easy recommendation would be the stock pads.
May I ask —1) what sonic preferences do the thick pads emphasize that are to your liking and 2) how does the mantle mesh affect the sound in your opinion?

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #6,154 of 7,069
It really depends on your hearing and ear anatomy. Zach said, only 10% of the customers need/use the mantle mesh. I tried it on five different pads and if I was going to use the mesh, I would probably do it on the stock pads. The mesh does what it says on the tin: brings down the upper-mid/treble frequencies for those who find the Caldera too spicy in that area. I would say the mesh dials down those frequencies by approximately 10-15%. It really changes the sound for an easier listen without any negative effect on tonal balance. The 'price' you pay is a 5-10% perceived loss of resolution/fine details. At least that's how I hear it.

Whether you need the mesh and with which pads, will be highly personal, and as I said comes down to ear anatomy, so there is not one right answer. To me the mesh worked well with the stock pads. I wouldn't need/use the mesh at all, but on the stock pads to me it felt they offer a viable alternative sound. On the thick pads (which is my favourite) I felt the mesh for me dampens those frequencies too much, starting to lose out too much on space and resolution. The thick pads already tame those lively upper-mids/lower-treble to a smaller extent than the mesh and it is just the perfect spot for me.
Woke up at 4:30am this morning. Been trying a few different combinations for the past three hours. I understand why Zach made the Mantle Mesh as I could see myself using it if I preferred the Caldera Suede or had a brighter leaning source chain. For my gear the Caldera Lambskin Thick is my preferred pad without the Mantle Mesh. It’s got everything that I like about the Lambskin Stock but ups the level of comfort and takes the spicy treble on the HA-3A by just a hair lower without losing any detail retrieval.

The Thick pads mean I can go between the HA-3A and CMA Fifteen without having to swap pads.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #6,155 of 7,069
Woke up at 4:30am this morning. Been trying a few different combinations for the past three hours. I understand why Zach made the Mantle Mesh as I could see myself using it if I preferred the Caldera Suede or had a brighter leaning source chain. For my gear the Caldera Lambskin Thick is my preferred pad without the Mantle Mesh. It’s got everything that I like about the Lambskin Stock but ups the level of comfort and takes the spicy treble on the HA-3A by just a hair lower without losing any detail retrieval.

The Thick pads mean I can go between the HA-3A and CMA Fifteen without having to swap pads.
I use the mesh with the suede pads. I’m one of the 10% that needs the mesh - not because the Calderas are too bright for me overall (I don’t mind a bright headphone and I don’t think the Calderas are a ”bright” headphone) but because I was hearing quite a bit of sibilance which I know wasn’t coming from the rest of my system. The mesh worked well for me. I don’t think I am missing any detail - the main change is a slight reduction in ’air” and soundstage. But I can live with that. It’s a great option from ZMF. The different pads didn’t tame the sibilance as much I had hoped.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #6,156 of 7,069
I use the mesh with the suede pads. I’m one of the 10% that needs the mesh - not because the Calderas are too bright for me overall (I don’t mind a bright headphone and I don’t think the Calderas are a ”bright” headphone) but because I was hearing quite a bit of sibilance which I know wasn’t coming from the rest of my system. The mesh worked well for me. I don’t think I am missing any detail - the main change is a slight reduction in ’air” and soundstage. But I can live with that. It’s a great option from ZMF. The different pads didn’t tame the sibilance as much I had hoped.
I have never thought of myself as someone who minds treble either, but I must admit there have been certain songs/occasions since I got my Caldera several weeks ago that they've hit certain notes that seemed a little more piercing than I wanted them to be. Not problematically so, but enough that I took note. Probably going to order the thick pads and see if those, much to my surprise, actually suit me better.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #6,157 of 7,069
I just have to comment about resolution at this point. I know some here value resolution and detail above all else. I'm not one of those people, so take this with a grain of salt--but I find the Caldera to have easily the highest resolution (and the least sonic penalty for being so resolving) of any headphone I've heard IMS. It is precisely because of its high resolution + my sonic preferences that I can get away with using the mantle mesh and the lambskin thicks--without (at least to my ears) losing any real amount of resolution that I want to be there.

Of course, the Caldera isn't the only planar that resolves like crazy without razoring one's ears off. The Susvara comes to mind here, as does the latest HEKv2 stealth (which I haven't heard--just going by what I read). I'm sure there are others.

My entire time in this hobby I've been slowly working my way up the resolution ladder. It was never a prime sonic goal for me, but I'm learning to appreciate it more--though I still can't handle high resolution headphones that are also overtly bright. Let's just say the Caldera has been a revelation for how much resolution a planar can give me while still sounding quite musical all the time.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #6,158 of 7,069
I just have to comment about resolution at this point. I know some here value resolution and detail above all else. I'm not one of those people, so take this with a grain of salt--but I find the Caldera to have easily the highest resolution (and the least sonic penalty for being so resolving) of any headphone I've heard IMS. It is precisely because of its high resolution + my sonic preferences that I can get away with using the mantle mesh and the lambskin thicks--without (at least to my ears) losing any real amount of resolution that I want to be there.

Of course, the Caldera isn't the only planar that resolves like crazy without razoring one's ears off. The Susvara comes to mind here, as does the latest HEKv2 stealth (which I haven't heard--just going by what I read). I'm sure there are others.

My entire time in this hobby I've been slowly working my way up the resolution ladder. It was never a prime sonic goal for me, but I'm learning to appreciate it more--though I still can't handle high resolution headphones that are also overtly bright. Let's just say the Caldera has been a revelation for how much resolution a planar can give me while still sounding quite musical all the time.
The Caldera does have high resolution, I agree. However, it's not the highest of the planars. The 1266 TC resolves more, for example. If you are super into resolution, the SR1a and Shang Sr are a step above the planars. I am a treble and resolution head, along with being a bass head, and I've come to realize maximizing resolution isn't the answer. I need a high resolution, yes, but once you get to the top of the resolution ladder, you might come to realize you still need something else. You need that high resolution as well as bass and mids. I think that is where the Caldera shines. It's a good trade off of the various FR sounds. ZMF headphones are all about tone and that "warm" feeling. I think Zach really hit it out of the park with the Calderas. It's his best pair of headphones. Now, I like the ACs a lot, but not so much the VCs (though I still own a pair). At the TOTL level, it's all about trade offs. I think the Calderas manage the trade offs well. I've recommended the Calderas to several head-fi members. It's definitely a step above ZMF dynamics, in my opinion, and at the price it probably can't be beat.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #6,159 of 7,069
The Caldera does have high resolution, I agree. However, it's not the highest of the planars. The 1266 TC resolves more, for example. If you are super into resolution, the SR1a and Shang Sr are a step above the planars. I am a treble and resolution head, along with being a bass head, and I've come to realize maximizing resolution isn't the answer. I need a high resolution, yes, but once you get to the top of the resolution ladder, you might come to realize you still need something else. You need that high resolution as well as bass and mids. I think that is where the Caldera shines. It's a good trade off of the various FR sounds. ZMF headphones are all about tone and that "warm" feeling. I think Zach really hit it out of the park with the Calderas. It's his best pair of headphones. Now, I like the ACs a lot, but not so much the VCs (though I still own a pair). At the TOTL level, it's all about trade offs. I think the Calderas manage the trade offs well. I've recommended the Calderas to several head-fi members. It's definitely a step above ZMF dynamics, in my opinion, and at the price it probably can't be beat.

Bit of an offtopic, but how do you feel about Susvara next to your Caldera? Currently considering getting one, not sure if it will be too thin to my liking after listening mainly to ZMF totl line up for over a year. Is it a substantianal upgrade resolution-wise or are those two close?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #6,160 of 7,069

As someone that still owns the Sr1a, Shang Sr. and has owned the Caldera (only let go because of overlap with my vintage L3000), very well said. And agree.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #6,161 of 7,069
How do you feel about Susvara next to your Caldera? Currently considering getting one, not sure if it will be too thin to my liking after listening mainly to ZMF totl line up for over a year. Is it a substantianal upgrade resolution-wise or are those two close?
That's an interesting comparison, and I think a fair one. The Susvara is more laid back. I think they have similar resolution, but the Calderas may appear to have higher resolution as they aren't as "laid back." I've recently fallen in love with the Susvaras again after getting a new cable (the Danacables Nirvana). The Caldera is definitely warmer. I feel the Susvara is a very "cold" sounding pair of headphones, which I love (and works with certain genres very, very well). If you have any of the ZMF dynamics, they have a similiar sound signature, but up it a bit. They are thinner than say the ACs, but it's not a problem. It's hard to put into words, but the Calderas feel very complete. They are a clean sounding pair of headphones. You could own only the Calderas and be happy.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #6,162 of 7,069

Agreed - Caldera's "resolution" is up there with the best of 'em. On par with Utopia, IMHO, and I am a Utopia fanboy. The presentation is different, and Caldera is more perceptually V-shaped than Utopia's prominent mids, but when you get right down to it they are playing in the same league.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #6,163 of 7,069
I keep going back to live music as the ideal comparator to audio/reproduced music. I can't ever remember sitting at a concert of any kind and thinking, "Wow, this resolution is superb!" Resolution is like the air in the room--it's a given. It's right there. Rooms with truly bad acoustics may muffle some of that resolution, but beyond that ... it's a thing I hear but don't usually focus on.

But I definitely do focus on tonal/harmonic things like the timbre of voices and instruments and the subtle harmonics of bowed instruments. I appreciate room reflections and the way notes propogate in the ambient space. Finally there's the lower midrange on down--not simply "bass," but the feeling in one's gut of the body of cellos, acoustic guitars, electric guitars, whack of drumsticks on larger drums, and so on.

There is more to audio than resolution, just as there's more to live music than resolution.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #6,164 of 7,069
I keep back to live music as the only real comparator to audio/reproduced music. I can't ever remember sitting at a concert of any kind and thinking, "Wow, this resolution is superb!" Resolution is like the air in the room--it's a given. It's right there. I suppose rooms with truly bad acoustics muffle some of that resolution, but beyond that ... it's not a thing I focus on.

But I definitely do focus on tonal/harmonic things like the timbre of voices and instruments and the subtle harmonics of bowed instruments. I also appreciate the room reflections and way that the ambient space shapes the sound. Finally there's the low midrange on down--not simply "bass," but the feeling in one's gut of the body of cellos, acoustic guitars, electric guitars, whack of drumsticks on larger drums, and so on.

There is more to audio than resolution, just as there's more to live music than resolution.
I'm not really a believer in timbre and "accurate" tone, but I hear you. I feel that there is no "accurate" or "objective" timbre or tone, but I may be weird in that regard (I also listen to heavily distorted music). There is definitely more to audio than resolution. I think most live venues I've been to do a terrible job with their acoustics. Though I mainly go to metal and hip-hop shows, so maybe classical or small venue jazz do a better job.

I think it's all about finding that sound signature that mixes well with what you want. I'm really against an objective, correct, answer to sound. I don't think it exists. That's why I'm very skeptical of timbre evaluations.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #6,165 of 7,069
Interesting, listening to Utopia I felt like Calders would significantly outresolve them. Maybe it’s just an „effect“ I was getting due the small stage of Utopia, not sure. Where Utopia shines are the crunchier guitars and tad bit more energy than Caldera imho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back