ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Jan 13, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #6,166 of 7,199
Interesting, listening to Utopia I felt like Calders would significantly outresolve them. Maybe it’s just an „effect“ I was getting due the small stage of Utopia, not sure. Where Utopia shines are the crunchier guitars and tad bit more energy than Caldera imho
I think the OG Utopias out resolve the Calderas, but the new utopias maybe don't. I really dislike how Focal took away from the treble and resolution in the new version

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #6,167 of 7,199
My two cents on the Caldera Thick pads - I've been listening to them for a couple of weeks after listening to the stock Caldera lambskin for a couple weeks. Just had yet another moment that brought me to tears listening today, so, for me, the thick pads do not take away too much of the mids for this kind of reaction. Also, WTH, haha! This is my third time tearing up listening to this headphone. There's some kind of direct line to my heart in the mids here. I'm also convinced it has something to do with the soundstage - a little bit more intimate sounding in the mids, yes, but nothing quite images like this headphones that I've heard, other than maybe the Atrium. I can't quite put my finger on why this seems to be adding to the emotional pull. Susvara images extremely well and also can sound intimate in the mids too, but never hits me the same way. Whatever it is, Caldera is so good. I appreciate what it can do so much. Honeymoon period is over and I still love the hell out of these babies.
I think the OG Utopias out resolve the Calderas, but the new utopias maybe don't. I really dislike how Focal took away from the treble and resolution in the new version
I have the OG Utopias and definitely agree, they out-resolve the Caldera based on my listening experience. But they're fatiguing AF after listening to half of an album of anything, even relaxed non-exciting stuff. May be a personal HRTF thing for me though. Caldera is the perfect resolving/emotion mix for me. Fanboy? Ok, yes!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #6,168 of 7,199
Bit of an offtopic, but how do you feel about Susvara next to your Caldera? Currently considering getting one, not sure if it will be too thin to my liking after listening mainly to ZMF totl line up for over a year. Is it a substantianal upgrade resolution-wise or are those two close?

These two headphones are really quite different in presentation. Is it worth owning both? absoolutely yes! But take into account that, where the Caldera scales beautifully with quality of amplification, it isn't hard to drive and its nature will reveal itself on almost anything setup (one of its strengths imo). The Susvara is genuinely hard to drive and the choice of amps (not just power, but synergy wise) can radically impact what you perceive and get from it.

That massive caveat aside, when both of these wonderful headphones are driven to their ultimate bests: for me, the Caldera's overall presentation of music is more energetic and forward, feeling tactile and physical (almost dynamic like); while the Susvara's presentation feels faster, more airy and spacious. They both have outsntading extensions in both bass and treble; but the Caldera feels a bit warmer (not sure whether FR graphs will show this relativity or not, but it's my perception) where the Susvara feels a bit more nuetral.

When headphones get to that level, I personally don't view one an upgrade, downgrade, or sidegradde; I just consider it taste and fit to whatever else I may have and to my chain. In reality, they are really are quite different. This is a hard statement to make it, but if I were forced to choose only two planar headphones, I'd very likely pick these two out there (I'm not using the deserted island metaphor, as I don't expect a power outlet there.. 🤪). (and, no, I'd never settle on one, so don't ask...:wink:)

Hope this gives a "feel". This is my highly subjective take.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #6,169 of 7,199
These two headphones are really quite different in presentation. Is it worth owning both? absoolutely yes! But take into account that, where the Caldera scales beautifully with quality of amplification, it isn't hard to drive and its nature will reveal itself on almost anything setup (one of its strengths imo). The Susvara is genuinely hard to drive and the choice of amps (not just power, but synergy wise) can radically impact what you perceive and get from it.

That massive caveat aside, when both of these wonderful headphones are driven to their ultimate bests: for me, the Caldera's overall presentation of music is more energetic and forward, feeling tactile and physical (almost dynamic like); while the Susvara's presentation feels faster, more airy and spacious. They both have outsntading extensions in both bass and treble; but the Caldera feels a bit warmer (not sure whether FR graphs will show this relativity or not, but it's my perception) where the Susvara feels a bit more nuetral.

When headphones get to that level, I personally don't view one an upgrade, downgrade, or sidegradde; I just consider it taste and fit to whatever else I may have and to my chain. In reality, they are really are quite different. This is a hard statement to make it, but if I were forced to choose only two planar headphones, I'd very likely pick these two out there (I'm not using the deserted island metaphor, as I don't expect a power outlet there.. 🤪). (and, no, I'd never settle on one, so don't ask...:wink:)

+1. Very much my experience with these two headphones as well.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #6,170 of 7,199
I realised my right side of my caldera is softer and less full. I tried to wear the other way round and realised the right side is more detailed and full but still soft by abit. Issit the driver issues? contacted Zac about it.

I used this track to test . Anyone tried and felt the same? Wow the soundstage is amazing though.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #6,171 of 7,199

No TCs? Boo :deadhorse:

:beyersmile:

The Calderas are my 3rd favorite pair of headphones, behind the Sus and the TCs. However, I could live with only owning the Calderas (same with the other headphones to be honest). I think you are right that it's all about preference at this level. I still think it's an amazing accomplishment that at $3.5k pair of headphones is competing with $6k ones. Depending on one's amp, the Calderas might be the best bet though, as the other cans need pretty powerful amps.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #6,172 of 7,199

:beyersmile:

The Calderas are my 3rd favorite pair of headphones, behind the Sus and the TCs. However, I could live with only owning the Calderas (same with the other headphones to be honest). I think you are right that it's all about preference at this level. I still think it's an amazing accomplishment that at $3.5k pair of headphones is competing with $6k ones. Depending on one's amp, the Calderas might be the best bet though, as the other cans need pretty powerful amps.
Heard the TCS are the most overrated ever? lol. There's a a lot of post saying there are trash.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #6,173 of 7,199
Heard the TCS are the most overrated ever? lol. There's a a lot of post saying there are trash.
There's a lot of people with trash opinions too 🤷‍♂️

I don't know how you can be into Summit-fi sh!t and not like the TCs. They are the amazing. Maybe people aren't getting a good fit, or they are using weak amps. The TCs are simply the best pair of headphones for "modern" music. I don't give a fukc what a FR says, when you can't even measure this sh!t properly.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #6,174 of 7,199

Naa, man, not my cup of tea.. but so many friends who have great ears love it, so I respect that. Great mids are a must for me and can't find it with those headphones, not with my crooked ears... 🤷‍♂️🤪

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #6,175 of 7,199
Naa, man, not my cup of tea.. but so many friends who have great ears love it, so I respect that. Great mids are a must for me and can't find it with those headphones, not with my crooked ears... 🤷‍♂️🤪
My experience mirrors yours, I didn't understand the appeal outside of the very "fast" sound that might be suitable for things like metal

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #6,176 of 7,199
well, this hobby is all about tastes and subjectivity. those are definitely headphones and I can totally see the appeal. simply, they are for others and not for me. but I know for many they give much joy.

for myself, I'm enjoyning my evevning wtih the Caldera

loving this track by French vocalist Camille Bertualt. Super short but just beautiful

Peace all 🙏

1705205167775.png

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #6,177 of 7,199
Gentlemen. All this disagreement. The real answer if you can only have two planars is Elite + Caldera :))))

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #6,178 of 7,199
Jan 13, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #6,179 of 7,199
Jan 13, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #6,180 of 7,199
Gentlemen. All this disagreement. The real answer if you can only have two planars is Elite + Caldera :))))
:confused:

The Elites aren't even making a top 10. Though people say the angled pads are better, but I haven't tried them. The Elites are too veiled for me, at least with stock pads. They are mid-fi gear wrapped in summit-fi aesthetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back