ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
May 10, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #7,186 of 7,383
I think I am starting to understand the "veil" on my Elites. I doubted it before but after many long multi-hour jam sessions with the Elites on the MJ3 / MiB stack, it's starting to bug me. Not sure if it the veil, or the amp, pretty sure it's not the dac. The MJ3 pumps out the bass, and fairly cleanly too. Probably not as cleanly as some other amps. But whatever, I need to get a Caldera as I need cans that are energetic, tight, clean, and NOT laid back. I think that adequately describes the Caldera. The MiB definitely does expose bad recordings more so than did the LiM. The amp passes it thru, and the Elites (I think) I have been pushing to their practical limits. Not the angled alcantara pads though. The Elites are not a bad headphone. But I think (hope) the Caldera is all that. By all accounts, they are. So apparently I am not at the "end game". LOL
You’ve got to get those Angled Alcantara pads! Then again it’s entirely possible you might still prefer the Caldera in the end. I really like both headphones, and the Caldera is definitely the less laid-back of the two. I do think the Angled pads will take away a lot of that “veil” you’re hearing with the Elite though.

I have a very similar setup, Yggy A2/MJ3, and the Elite sounds as good or better than anything I’ve ever heard, including most ZMF.

May 10, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #7,187 of 7,383
You’ve got to get those Angled Alcantara pads! Then again it’s entirely possible you might still prefer the Caldera in the end. I really like both headphones, and the Caldera is definitely the less laid-back of the two. I do think the Angled pads will take away a lot of that “veil” you’re hearing with the Elite though.

I have a very similar setup, Yggy A2/MJ3, and the Elite sounds as good or better than anything I’ve ever heard, including most ZMF.
I don’t hear any veil at all with the Elite, when I think veil I think of the Sennheiser 6XX. The elite has a bit of a darker tonality but it’s a bit more lush.

May 10, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #7,188 of 7,383
I don’t hear any veil at all with the Elite, when I think veil I think of the Sennheiser 6XX. The elite has a bit of a darker tonality but it’s a bit more lush.
With the stock pads I hear a muddy veil as well. If the Elites only came with the stock pads they would have gone back.

The angled Alcantara pads make all the difference, and the muddy veil went away.

Caldera is still my favorite headphone. I'll see if that changes when I get my Caldera Closed.

May 11, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #7,190 of 7,383
I just enjoyed an absolutely wonderful night with the Calderas. I remember at one point, I was thinking, "Maybe I'll do 1, 2, perhaps 3 more songs until I'm done." Yet, there I was an hour and a half later still melting into the music. I'm no reviewing type, but the COs legitimately give me an argument for the idea of making one in the future. We'll see how that pans out.

The thick pads specifically give a certain balance in tuning that I haven't heard from any other headphone I've owned. I might not have a reason to take them off. It's a planar through and through, but it has a special vibe that both other planars and dynamics can't quite emulate.

May 11, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #7,191 of 7,383

Yeah, without the angled pads, you haven’t really heard what the Elites can do. There was no going back once I had them. Once I tried them, I understood what the veil was. Funnily, before that I didn’t think there was any veil but it became very obvious with the angled pads!

May 11, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #7,192 of 7,383
Yeah, without the angled pads, you haven’t really heard what the Elites can do. There was no going back once I had them. Once I tried them, I understood what the veil was. Funnily, before that I didn’t think there was any veil but it became very obvious with the angled pads!
I second this. Elite was my daily driver for two years before I got my Caldera. The angled pads improve clarity, depth and detail retrieval massively on the Elite. Once those pads came out, I never used any of the other pads on the Meze. Both are fantastic headphones, but quite different. Elite is a lot more spacious with taller and larger soundstage, and a lot more laid back, softer sounding. Caldera is more energetic, more dynamic, the soundstage is smaller in comparison, but instrument separation is even clearer. Instead of the Elite's big, warm bass, the Caldera offers more punch and dynamic impact which I definitely find more enjoyable with EDM. Also, while the Elite is one of the more natural sounding planars out there, still can't reach ZMF timbre and realism when it comes to vocals or acoustic instruments for example. I imagine, (lower) treble energy can be too much for some on the Caldera and make them choose the more laid-back Meze, but most people can balance that out with the thick pads, or if has to be more extreme, with the mantle mesh.
For me the Caldera edged out the Elite with its even more organic sound and more weighty, dynamic and impactful presentation. I think, the choice between these two ultimately comes down to whether you want a soft, smooth and relaxing listen or a more exciting, energizing one.
I also have to add, that initially it took me a few days to really appreciate what Caldera does so well. There are pros and cons with both headphones. But once I truly understood the strengths of Caldera, I was lost forever. :)

May 11, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #7,193 of 7,383
I will order the angled pads for Elite. I like them enough to keep after i get Caldera. Those angled pads are $200 just for the pads. Ouch. But since I was planning on getting a stabilized Caldera in November Can Jam, I need to go ahead and get the pads for my Elites.

May 11, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #7,194 of 7,383
I will order the angled pads for Elite. I like them enough to keep after i get Caldera. Those angled pads are $200 just for the pads. Ouch. But since I was planning on getting a stabilized Caldera in November Can Jam, I need to go ahead and get the pads for my Elites.
I find myself in a parallel situation, with the Caldera open + a different 2nd planar, the Final Audio D8000. I've had the D8K longer than the Caldera, but the Caldera instantly superceded it sonically, in part because the Caldera is a fantastic, well-voiced planar; but also because the D8K cannot be routinely pad-rolled due to design considerations that rule out 3rd party pads.

The D8K came with the "F" pads installed. These pads are a key part of the headphone's damping & air-flow system. I decided the F pads were working against the headphone's driver, so I upgraded to the "G" pads that come stock on the D8K's successor, the Final Audio D8000 Pro (tuned to be more "accurate" and "detailed" than the OG -- starting to sound familiar, right?). The sound got way better w/the G pads, but it also got warmer & bassier, ultimately a degree that compromised the driver's inherent resolution.

Next up: the fabled "H" pads sold as stock with the 3rd generation of this headphone, the Final Audio D8000 Pro "LE." The H pads' sound w/the OG D8K is described by some as "perfect" & "Goldilocks." I have a pair on the way. My hope is that after ~$350 in pads, I'll finally land the ideal sound with the D8K.

I mention this because my goals with the Final headphone have been fundamentally altered by the Caldera open:
  • At first I wanted to invest in pads for the D8K just to get better sound.
  • Now I'm doing that because I have a hunch with the right pads, the D8K will finally (and rightfully) step up as true sonic competition for the Caldera.
I'd like nothing better than to have two TOTL planars on hand, both with amazing sound, but not sounding much like each other....

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #7,195 of 7,383
I second this. Elite was my daily driver for two years before I got my Caldera. The angled pads improve clarity, depth and detail retrieval massively on the Elite. Once those pads came out, I never used any of the other pads on the Meze. Both are fantastic headphones, but quite different. Elite is a lot more spacious with taller and larger soundstage, and a lot more laid back, softer sounding. Caldera is more energetic, more dynamic, the soundstage is smaller in comparison, but instrument separation is even clearer. Instead of the Elite's big, warm bass, the Caldera offers more punch and dynamic impact which I definitely find more enjoyable with EDM. Also, while the Elite is one of the more natural sounding planars out there, still can't reach ZMF timbre and realism when it comes to vocals or acoustic instruments for example. I imagine, (lower) treble energy can be too much for some on the Caldera and make them choose the more laid-back Meze, but most people can balance that out with the thick pads, or if has to be more extreme, with the mantle mesh.
For me the Caldera edged out the Elite with its even more organic sound and more weighty, dynamic and impactful presentation. I think, the choice between these two ultimately comes down to whether you want a soft, smooth and relaxing listen or a more exciting, energizing one.
I also have to add, that initially it took me a few days to really appreciate what Caldera does so well. There are pros and cons with both headphones. But once I truly understood the strengths of Caldera, I was lost forever. :)
This is why I love reading these threads so darn much. Useful info, from audio nuts for audio nuts... no real biases, just straight up impressions about how stuff sounds. I cannot wait for that day when I can try the Caldera Open with an Aegis amp. I did go ahead and order the alcantara angled pads for my Elites, because they are worth trying to get the best SQ from them, even at the exorbitant price tag on those pads. LOL But I do want a more energized and dynamic presentation. I could just go ahead and order the Caldera stock but I guess the artist in me cries out for one of those beautiful stabilized Calderas. So I will wait until I can get the one I want. In the meantime the Elites with the new pads will be tested thoroughly. As good as the MJ3 amp is, I am so intrigued by the Aegis amp I can't stop thinking about it. This audio addiction is just that. Crazy. I almost want to keep my current stack intact and just get another MiB to use dedicated to the Aegis amp, but i doubt that is gonna happen. The Yggy MiB / MJ3 combo is a really great SS pairing. I wish I had unlimited funding for my audio addiction. Oh well...

May 11, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #7,196 of 7,383
Caldera arrived today!! Together with my Atrium Closed, it's my own little "Song of Ice and Fire" :)

IMG_2090.png

May 12, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #7,197 of 7,383
Yep now we have Evie and Tobi - they more or less are the same dog, Mountain Cur with some Mutt thrown in.

There's one primary difference: Tobi likes me better than Evie.

ZMF Tobi.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #7,199 of 7,383
There's one primary difference: Tobi likes me better than Evie.

ZMF Tobi.jpg

Well, since CC thread is getting all the attention as the newborn sibling, I might as well share my camphor burl eyed bird enthusiast to draw some attention back :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

IMG_5603.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back