ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Jan 11, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #6,136 of 7,208
My calderas are on the way! 😊
Now let's hope for a smooth customs clearance process.
Meanwhile...
ACTUALLY, I really only use Dekoni Pads in my personal life.

(Don't tell Zach)

1a9a89396e03a0b7028badc7af5d95af.jpg
What dskoni pads you are using? I've heard this before somewhere in a calderas review. And the guy was very surprised by the combo.
Perhaps you could share some of your thoughts? Hehe

Thanks! 😁

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #6,137 of 7,208
My calderas are on the way! 😊
Now let's hope for a smooth customs clearance process.
Meanwhile...

What dskoni pads you are using? I've heard this before somewhere in a calderas review. And the guy was very surprised by the combo.
Perhaps you could share some of your thoughts? Hehe

Thanks! 😁
Hope your Caldera gets to you with haste.

I was just jesting about the Dekoni pads. However, with the amount of different pads they have, I'm sure there's a few that may work with the Caldera.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #6,138 of 7,208
Which pads are best for emphasizing bass slam in people's experience?

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #6,139 of 7,208
Thin I think. But imho they gimp the headphone in too many other areas.

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #6,140 of 7,208
Thick pads increase bass a little bit versus stock. Thin pads have good bass slam, but I dislike how forward they sound with kind of a collapsed soundstage. Plus, the pads are physically shallow too with my ears touching the driver. Thick pads are my personal favourite by far, but I like the stock pads too for a more neutral sound. Alcantara is ok, but to my taste a little too smooth. The thin pads didn't really make it to my list. :)

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #6,141 of 7,208
So far, I actually find the stock pads have the most slam/impact (out of caldera stock, caldera thick, caldera ultra perf, caldera cowhide thin, caldera suede.) Other pads have other qualities but slam/impact? Stock pads.

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #6,143 of 7,208
Lambskin thick pads (IMHO). Once I put them on, that was it for me.

Are the thick lamb the same as the Caldera lamb that come stock?

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #6,144 of 7,208
Are the thick lamb the same as the Caldera lamb that come stock?
No. The Caldera lambskin pads that are labelled "stock" are ~1/4" less deep than the lambskin thicks. The deeper dimensions of the thick pads causes them to emphasize the bass a bit more, pull down the upper mids/low treble just a bit, and widen the (already quite wide) soundstage.

I believe these 2 pad variants are otherwise physically identical: ie, materials used, patterns of performations, etc.

Bear in mind that I'm no pad expert. I've just had the opportunity to see the stock vs thick pads side by side, also try them on the Caldera.

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #6,145 of 7,208
I can't say anything about the thick pads but if you are talking about only the bass punch, then compared to stock pads, the slims are beautifully whipping the ears. The stocks have much better profile regarding the bass-mid-treble equilibrium and unfortunately apart from that addicting punch, there isn't much to be liked about the slim pads in my opinion. But sometimes just for the sake of that punch, I do put on the slims.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #6,146 of 7,208
The thick and the stock actually have the same bass impact but the thick just seems like it has more because it has less mids. Both have tight, impactful, textured bass. I’d even say the thin is probable same bass too but the mids are most forward. It’s on the suede that you lose tightness and impact. It still has good bass presence and texture. Just doesn’t hit as hard.

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #6,147 of 7,208
I know graphs don’t tell the full story but Zach posted these graphs of how pads compare to stock in superbestaudiofriends:

IMG_1565.png

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #6,149 of 7,208
Curious if anyone is using the Mantle Mesh and if they are what pads they recommend?

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #6,150 of 7,208
Curious if anyone is using the Mantle Mesh and if they are what pads they recommend?
I'm using the mantle mesh...when I ordered my coffee-stained oak Caldera, I asked that it come with the mantle mesh installed. I'd heard a number of Calderas w/the stock mesh at CanJam, and knew I wanted to try the mantle mesh.

Anyway, 4 pairs of pads came with my Caldera: stock pads; cowhide thins; suede; and lambskin thicks. It's easy to hear how great the stock pads are. The thins and suede each did certain things differently, but the thicks pushed certain elements of the already great sound in exactly the right direction for me, so the thicks are my pick (never took them off). So it's easy to recommend the thicks (just my sonic preferences in action).
  • Also, I hear my Caldera only via NOS DACs. I have 3 in the office, and 2 are always installed in my 2 systems here at any given time.
But for anyone who prizes neutral-sounding gear and thus would appreciate pushing the resolution of the Caldera (a very resolving headphone, for sure), the easy recommendation would be the stock pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back