ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 6, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #3,226 of 7,059
I like the looks of the Red Caldera by far the best, the grill works real well there.

I am slightly jarred by the circle around the squares in the Caldera grill, but it's hard to tell from pictures.

The Atrium looks FANTASTIC in person. I used the early discount to upgrade to aged copper look and I think it's a million times better than stock.

Opinions are like fingernails, they keep growing and changing.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #3,227 of 7,059
Caldera grill, Atrium grill, VO grill.
All look stunning.
Concrats to @zach915m for his choices, and much respect for your thoughts going into their design. :beerchug:

Where can i grab the single grills? :ksc75smile:

Feb 6, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #3,229 of 7,059
Well fine, no need to be aggressive guys, I still got the RedHeart anyway, was just wondering if the grill could be more special like the Atrium, a whole form in the grill.

You know, You're not very welcoming

Feb 6, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #3,230 of 7,059
I think Zach is going about this all wrong. He needs more little fruit and fuzzy fur on the headphones. Kind of like these ones from well known audiophile brand Dolce and Gabbana.

s-l500.jpg
s-l500 (1).jpg

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #3,231 of 7,059
Well fine, no need to be aggressive guys, I still got the RedHeart anyway, was just wondering if the grill could be more special like the Atrium, a whole form in the grill.

They're just playing with you. In this forum, we tend to be a bit sarcastic, which doesn't always come across in writing. Nobody is intentionally meaning to disrespect you, they're just trying to have a little fun.

big-bang-theory-sarcasm-sign.gif

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #3,232 of 7,059
I think Zach is going about this all wrong. He needs more little fruit and fuzzy fur on the headphones. Kind of like these ones from well known audiophile brand Dolce and Gabbana.

s-l500.jpgs-l500 (1).jpg
Slow down, first we need snake headphones from ZMF, but @BooUrns is holding that project up

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #3,233 of 7,059
Atrium grill is flourished and grand, appropriate to the theme of the design.

Caldera grill is modern and sleek, appropriate to the theme of the design.

If all the headphones looked (& sounded!) the same life would be boring.
But I meant that the Caldera design itself it like a volcano exploding or something along those lines. Very specific to the actual name of the headphones. Maybe Zach can chime in. I might be totally off the mark.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #3,234 of 7,059

Maybe you're right. Or maybe we're all "in on the joke" here (veterans of this and other ZMF threads) and like to mess around. Either way, no insult or attitude intended.

I should explain why I feel the Caldera screen is totally good for a top of the line headphone. I've been interested in architectural & furniture design for years...the patterns used in screens have often been inspired by those things.

This is the screen design of the original Meze Empyrean. I regard this as the most advanced screen design of all headphones I've seen. This complex design is inspired by several early 20th century European furniture styles:

Empyrean.jpg

And the image below pictures the succession of ZMF screens in the open-back dynamic headphones designed over the past 4-6 years. I could be wrong, but I believe the sequence of launches was Aeolus / Auteur / Verite Open / Atrium / Caldera. Notice a few points:
  • the Aeolus screen is relatively simple. It's my least favorite ZMF screen, though the sound of this headphone itself is quite amazing;
  • the smaller diameter Auteur screen, by contrast, is more ambitious, with tight curves in multiple directions. I see gothic style here, also some art nouveau style
  • then the VO screen is downright modern & futuristic
  • then the Atrium is the most complex and evolved design to this point, somewhat larger and very handsome IMO
  • and finally, the Caldera screen is the most complex of all, composed of many tiny, repeating figures. the repetition is the whole point, creating a visual field that IMO is most interesting. it's also not 100% uniform--note the solid center figure.
Note: the graphical nature of each screen is most visible in SS/silver, though I couldn't find each one is that color.​

ZMF screens.jpg

Call me blind and crazy, but I think these screens became more evolved, interesting, and graphically complex with each new headphone. ZMF has been in the design big leagues from day-1 due to the unmatched wood types, shapes and finishes used; and IMO the latest screens are right up there, as well.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #3,235 of 7,059
ZMF screens.jpg

Call me blind and crazy, but I think these screens became more evolved, interesting, and graphically complex with each new headphone. ZMF has been in the design big leagues from day-1 due to the unmatched wood types, shapes and finishes used; and IMO the latest screens are right up there, as well.

Verite Open is still the best grill. #fibonacci

Fight me. :wink:

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #3,236 of 7,059
The more I read the more I’m dying for my redheart to arrive 😬

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #3,237 of 7,059
Opinions are like fingernails, they keep growing and changing.

That's a keeper. Will memorize and recycle... 😉

s-l500.jpgs-l500 (1).jpg

wow-amazed.gif

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #3,238 of 7,059
Maybe you're right. Or maybe we're all "in on the joke" here (veterans of this and other ZMF threads) and like to mess around. Either way, no insult or attitude intended.

I should explain why I feel the Caldera screen is totally good for a top of the line headphone. I've been interested in architectural & furniture design for years...the patterns used in screens have often been inspired by those things.

This is the screen design of the original Meze Empyrean. I regard this as the most advanced screen design of all headphones I've seen. This complex design is inspired by several early 20th century European furniture styles:

Empyrean.jpg

And the image below pictures the succession of ZMF screens in the open-back dynamic headphones designed over the past 4-6 years. I could be wrong, but I believe the sequence of launches was Aeolus / Auteur / Verite Open / Atrium / Caldera. Notice a few points:
  • the Aeolus screen is relatively simple. It's my least favorite ZMF screen, though the sound of this headphone itself is quite amazing;
  • the smaller diameter Auteur screen, by contrast, is more ambitious, with tight curves in multiple directions. I see gothic style here, also some art nouveau style
  • then the VO screen is downright modern & futuristic
  • then the Atrium is the most complex and evolved design to this point, somewhat larger and very handsome IMO
  • and finally, the Caldera screen is the most complex of all, composed of many tiny, repeating figures. the repetition is the whole point, creating a visual field that IMO is most interesting. it's also not 100% uniform--note the solid center figure.
Note: the graphical nature of each screen is most visible in SS/silver, though I couldn't find each one is that color.​

ZMF screens.jpg

Verité Closed is my favorite grill 😏 super solid imo

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #3,240 of 7,059

Users who are viewing this thread

Back