ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Jan 2, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #2,822 of 7,609
Norne is definitely my favorite cable company for ZMF headphones.

Jan 2, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #2,823 of 7,609
Jan 2, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #2,824 of 7,609
These glamour shots are amazing! The wood on this headphone just destroys me...the finish is perfect.

The cable is beautiful, too. What is it?
It's a Norne Skollvar v2 copper/silver fusion cable

Jan 3, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #2,826 of 7,609
Mine as well. I would have ordered another for my Caldera by now if I could make up my mind. The new color combinations are great.

The choices are overwhelming for me. I like his picture samples that describe the choices. It's probably also why I tend to by them in the classifieds because I can see them.

Jan 3, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #2,827 of 7,609
Mine as well. I would have ordered another for my Caldera by now if I could make up my mind. The new color combinations are great.
I need to get a cable for my Caldera. Not sure which is the best. Thinking about getting a Vygarde because it is one of the only ones I don't have yet.

Jan 3, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #2,828 of 7,609
The thick pads make Caldera sufficient for my entire library which includes modern pop music, R&B, soul, classic rock, acoustic, male and female vocals, jazz, classical, soundtracks. They are not bass cannons, but very nice and balanced bass response.
How would you compare to the stock lambskins? I just ordered the thick btw lol..

Jan 3, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #2,829 of 7,609
For me I like everything the thick did, especially the low end rumble but it took just a bit too much off the high end on my setup for my tastes. The highs lost just a touch of air and the mids a little less twang. So maybe on a brighter setup, these might be perfect. I’m quite happy with the suede. Find nothing wrong.

Jan 3, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #2,830 of 7,609
So I’m finally back working and this is when I listen to classical. Naim has a cd quality live stream and have a Focal Arche as my home work setup. This is the one area where I find the Expanse the winner, at least against the Caldera with suede pads. Thinking maybe the thin pads would be ideal. However, this is just background music for me, so it’s no mark against the Caldera and no reason for me to seek out a more ideal headphone for classical.

I think the reason the Expanse wins is it does low level listening with such balance and clarity. Harpsichord and quiet passages just stand out more. The Caldera might be a touch warm and not quite as resolving for this type of music, at least with suede. Everything else including jazz, it’s perfect. And classical still sounds really good.

Jan 3, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #2,831 of 7,609
So I’m finally back working and this is when I listen to classical. Naim has a cd quality live stream and have a Focal Arche as my home work setup. This is the one area where I find the Expanse the winner, at least against the Caldera with suede pads. Thinking maybe the thin pads would be ideal. However, this is just background music for me, so it’s no mark against the Caldera and no reason for me to seek out a more ideal headphone for classical.

I think the reason the Expanse wins is it does low level listening with such balance and clarity. Harpsichord and quiet passages just stand out more. The Caldera might be a touch warm and not quite as resolving for this type of music, at least with suede. Everything else including jazz, it’s perfect. And classical still sounds really good.
Classical music is the only reason I've reached for my 800S since receiving my Caldera. Stock leather pads seemed to help in comparison to the suede, but it is definitely not the best genre fit for the headphones.

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #2,832 of 7,609

It's fun listening to classical with the Caldera because you can hear a lot of detail in the bass/mids that are usually masked by the elevated treble in other headphones. If I had to choose one headphone dedicated to classical/orchestral music it would have to be the HE1000SE. That headphone made classical music exciting and I preferred it to the Susvara in those genres.

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #2,833 of 7,609
Salire is back up on the site: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/stock-headphones/products/salire

We have the most of the white Oak (pic coming soon), Walnut and Tiger Maple. There's only a couple of the other variants.
1672778141296.png

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 3, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #2,834 of 7,609
Jan 3, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #2,835 of 7,609
One question on the headphone stands, is the bottom weighted? Is it top heavy? Just worried because I have a cat that may knock it over. I’m currently back to using my Focal stand because it’s heavily weighted and more cat proof. Would hate for the headphone to get damaged.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back