ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Jan 4, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #2,851 of 7,447
That is one fluffy cute thing! But I've got to ask – what is a cat tree? Have I been missing out on a cat tradition I should have been celebrating??

20 lbs is kind of scary. Our dainty twin kitty sisters were 7-8 lbs at their peak, so they never caused damage to my audio equipment. I'd always wanted a Maine Coon or a Norwegian Forest Cat, until my daughter got her Cavalier pup (he's 20-22 lbs now). The amount of mayhem and destruction his "witching hour" rampages can cause is nothing short of amazing. Add a cat's vertical mobility to that kind of mass • velocity, and you've got a recipe for even more horrors. I'm kitten-hungry, but I fear for my tubes, cables, and ear pads.

As as aside, I conducted a small experiment: I museum puttied my prototype headphone stand (11.5" tall) to the floor, hung a sacrificial pair of Fidelio X2HR + extra cables to weight-match my 600g Caldera, and put it in the way of the clumsy dog's "circuit". Despite some light body slams, he hasn't been able to knock it down yet! That's a relief. Possibly the lower center of gravity is helping it not tip over, but it could also be that museum putty is just that good.
So to keep this on topic. Here’s a photo of the Caldera with the cat tree in for far distance. We actually have a more stable 3 level cat house coming. It was supposed to get here before the Caldera but was damaged in shipping. At least the Caldera was safe.

972F6CC6-E5D9-4F5E-A008-645B9515D34E.jpeg

Jan 4, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #2,852 of 7,447
I had a Woo stand and didn’t like the sharp squared off corners. The Focal stand, while way too expansive, was the best stand I found when I had the Utopia. The problem with the Caldera, is the stand has sharp edges and have to carefully remove the headphone. But it’s even heavier than the Woo stand and the headphones clamp to one side, so not coming off. With that said, I ended up ordering a Salire and some museum puffy.

The headphone setup is a Naim HE on an end table between the couch and an Eames chair. The cat has claimed the chair and walks over the Naim to get to the couch. He’s a Maine Coon cat and will end up close to 20 lbs. He’s only 8 mo and has already outgrown his cat tree almost knocking it down when running around.

5EB44790-CC09-4496-9AC3-41FA02A79060.jpeg
"I can't spell 'Eames' but I own this chair"

Jan 4, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #2,854 of 7,447
Tiger Maple looks wild, don't think I've seen a better looking Salire so far!

Also great combination with those gorgeous Macassar Verites.
the HP looks dangerous sitting in the top of the stand in the picture

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #2,856 of 7,447
Anyone running their Caldera off a Soloist 3X GT?
When I demoed the Caldera’s, the Soloist 3X GT was my amp of choice for them. It edged out running them on my Trafomatic Head 2. The Caldera’s sounded great on both amps, but the Soloist 3X GT had a better grip on the drivers. The Caldera’s speed, resolution, and punch were highlighted more on Soloist 3X GT.

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #2,857 of 7,447
Jan 5, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #2,859 of 7,447
I know I was going to stop posting about certain albums but had to post about this. When first moved to San Diego I headed up to CanJam that year. I got to spend a little time with the Sennheiser Orpheus. The album being played was Peter Gabriel’s So. I know this is just based off memory but think hearing it on the Caldera is the best I’ve ever heard that album. Well still need to quickly skip Sledgehammer and Big Time, but the rest is excellent.

It’s just the combination of weight, impact, soundstage and details. Think other headphones that can do better in each of these areas but the Caldera gets the collective whole better than I personally have heard before. And most importantly it’s fun and enjoyable. None of the technical abilities mean anything if no longer enjoyable.

Jan 6, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #2,860 of 7,447
I had one of those “tell me you’re an audiophile without saying ‘I’m an audiophile’” moments on the way to work today. I’ve been loving the new Fred Hersch and Esperanza Spalding Alive at the Village Vanguard album, and I get halfway through “Little Suede Shoes,” and I realize Esperanza’s singing has never sounded better and I can’t imagine how divine she sounds on the Caldera.

B15201C8-3639-4559-9CBE-E977C8622EA8.jpeg

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #2,861 of 7,447
Jan 6, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #2,863 of 7,447
Just finished my review comparing the Caldera to the Susvara, HE6, and MM-500: https://den-fi.com/zmf-caldera/

Nice read. I always wondering how a person able to compare Caldera with Susvara. They are so different in character, strength and weakness.

Susvara is a beast in technicalities, but somehow this headphone able to put me to sleep (or felt really sleepy), even when I'm in the mood to actually listen my favourite playlist.

Jan 6, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #2,864 of 7,447
Susvara is a beast in technicalities, but somehow this headphone able to put me to sleep (or felt really sleepy), even when I'm in the mood to actually listen my favourite playlist.
Is that a compliment? I know people I feel that way about and it’s not a compliment.

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #2,865 of 7,447
Just finished my review comparing the Caldera to the Susvara, HE6, and MM-500: https://den-fi.com/zmf-caldera/

nice writeup!

I love the Caldera and Susvara both, they offer such a different presentation.

Comparatively only (as they really both excel across the board),

I personally really enjoy the Caldera's mids, and espeically listening to vocals; and its more visceral bass. I find that its slightly warmer tuning coupled with its damping system lends a bit of extra weight to the notes. It has a "rich", lush presentation.

The Susvara offers exceptional technicalities (resolution, imaging, stage) but I also really love its tonality, which I find very balanced and natural with good amping. It has a light, fast presentation.

These two headphones offer a wonderfully clear distinction and choice. We live in such an age of plenty in the headphone space :)

That said, since I got the Caldera, it has been getting more listening time in my rotation... 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back