ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Jan 1, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #2,806 of 7,087
I ended up being impatient and ordered the Verite Silver cable for my Caldera instead of waiting for longer OFC. The default color scheme works with coffee gold and going thru older posts it seems that Zach was recommending with the Caldera. Really just needed some extra length but figured I spend just a little more since the Caldera isn’t going anywhere.

I’m having the opposite situation I had with the Expanse. Over time I was finding certain songs that still sounded good on the Expanse but just not as good as I’ve heard them in the past. With the Caldera, everything sounds as great as remember but then finding a lot of songs that sound the best I’ve heard them. It’s mostly due the fuller sound and more expansive soundstage.

For most part I couldn’t see how songs could sound better when I had the Utopia but the sense of space is better with the Caldera. Not sure you call it pin point but it’s fluid. Everything takes up volume and fills up certain spaces. The Expanse did this too but the issue was like having a close talker. The soundstage started a little too close for comfort. There was no breathing distance. The Caldera has a little space in front and to the sides and sounds right. I’ve heard bigger soundstages before but prefer the Caldera since I do like that closer feeling but guess not too close. I have not heard the Atrium yet or some of the other TOTL headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #2,807 of 7,087
I haven’t gone through extensive cable testing yet with the Caldera (though I should and will try at some point; I have most of the ZMF cables at hand and a couple others), but I have been using the silver cable with the Caldera and been very happy with it!

Jan 1, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #2,808 of 7,087
I haven’t gone through extensive cable testing yet with the Caldera (though I should and will try at some point; I have most of the ZMF cables at hand and a couple others), but I have been using the silver cable with the Caldera and been very happy with it!
I am believer in cables improving things but normally have bought cable upgrades when I thought the original sound was lacking in some way, which I don’t. But seems I can’t do wrong with the silver for looks and sound.

Next on my list is the Salire stand. Not sure when that will be available. I’m using a wood Omega stand which works well in the meantime. I also have a Focal stand but going to sell it.

Jan 1, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #2,809 of 7,087
Another ZMF masterpiece! I have been enjoying these for about a week now:

Congrats - those are a beautiful pair of headphones!

I see from your signature that you have the Holo Bliss (and Spring). Would you mind commenting on the sound of the Caldera from it, please? And the Vérité, too, please?! (If you've posted impressions above and I missed them, I apologize in advance). Thanks!

Jan 1, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #2,810 of 7,087
Next on my list is the Salire stand. Not sure when that will be available.

I believe @zach915m mentioned in one of the threads this past week that he’s expecting those in the coming days, but will let him comment..

Jan 1, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #2,811 of 7,087
Congrats - those are a beautiful pair of headphones!

I see from your signature that you have the Holo Bliss (and Spring). Would you mind commenting on the sound of the Caldera from it, please? And the Vérité, too, please?! (If you've posted impressions above and I missed them, I apologize in advance). Thanks!
I prematurely put the Holo Bliss in my signature hoping it would get here quicker. :) I expect shipping notice any day since we are coming up on the 5th week post ordering. I might not be able to compare to VO since I will be posting my VO, Atrium, Gumby, and MJ2 this week. Not that I do not like any of them. I am just in a rotate through HPs and HP amps/DACs phase vs. the rotate through IEMs phase I had been in for a few years.

I do have a huge bias toward ZMF, DCA, Schiit, and Holo stuff just because I like what I have tried from them and I am highly impressed with the professional business model and personal touches and passion of ZMF, DCA, and Schiit.

Jan 1, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #2,812 of 7,087
I prematurely put the Holo Bliss in my signature hoping it would get here quicker. :) I expect shipping notice any day since we are coming up on the 5th week post ordering. I might not be able to compare to VO since I will be posting my VO, Atrium, Gumby, and MJ2 this week.
Thanks for the reply. Good luck with the sales. Any impressions of the Bliss + Caldera would be most welcome! I hope your Bliss arrives soon!

Jan 2, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #2,813 of 7,087
ZMF Caldera

SvALKnT.jpg
kfqP35G.jpg

Q26IJzz.jpg

a1ZpYRS.jpg
LMU55od.jpg

SsBjxbn.jpg

5B6gNQQ.jpg

LMaIb2Z.jpg
NTkizkn.jpg

rcEgNIF.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #2,814 of 7,087
Jan 2, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #2,816 of 7,087
Jan 2, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #2,817 of 7,087
Jan 2, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #2,818 of 7,087
Jan 2, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #2,819 of 7,087
Jan 2, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #2,820 of 7,087
@HiFiHawaii808 can I ask how you find the low end on the thick pads vs others you’ve tried?
The thick pads make Caldera sufficient for my entire library which includes modern pop music, R&B, soul, classic rock, acoustic, male and female vocals, jazz, classical, soundtracks. They are not bass cannons, but very nice and balanced bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back