ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Nov 20, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #1,366 of 7,192
I love the look of the kingwood, but too heavy for me.

That would be my problem too. White oak is the perfect pair to keep you under 500g with a mag chassis. The kingwood is breathtaking though

Nov 20, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #1,367 of 7,192
@zach915m -- are you still planning on posting something about the various Caldera pad options before Tuesday? I still feel very much in the dark about the sonic qualities of each.
Yep - lots of info and measurements coming on the website tomorrow, as well as two videos about Caldera.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 20, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #1,368 of 7,192
I've spent the last day or two with the caldera suede pads to compare them to the stock caldera pads. So far I'm finding them more confortable (as I find most suede pads) but having difficulty locking down sonic differences. Any thoughts I'd be posting now would be conjecture. I'll need to use them for a week then put on the stock again. I will say I think they're good for classical.

Here is a pic or two of the caldera for those of you waiting for them to go on sale...please remember that I STINK at taking photos of gear.

caldera1.jpg
caldera2.jpg

Nov 20, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #1,369 of 7,192
CALDERA PAD REVIEW (Mini Edition)

All pads are hybrids (using the same material) with a perforated exterior and solid inside the ear cavity. No EQ was used while evaluating these pads.

GEAR CHAIN: TIDAL&FLACs>Singxer SU-1>Schiit Yggdrasil A1>DNA Stratus/OG Cavalli Liquid Gold/L0RDGYWN AEGIS>Caldera w/Verite Silver Cable

Caldera STOCK

Since the majority of Caldera owners will have a pair of these, I won’t go into too much detail on these. Unless noted, all comparisons will be referring to these pads.
  • Well balanced
  • Good dynamics and bass response
  • Great staging
  • Comfortable

Thoughts: There's a reason why these are the stock pads. The most well rounded pads that help put the Caldera up there with the rest of the TOTL planars. Probably the pads which the majority of listeners will end up daily driving.

Caldera THIN
  • Tighter bass response, slight increase in quality
  • Small decrease in bass quantity
  • Slightly more intimate staging
  • Faster attack/decay transients
  • Mids pushed forward, vocals a tad more prominent
  • Upper mids are a tad subdued
  • Comfortable

Thoughts: These bring out the Caldera’s technical side a bit more than the Stock pads. In a way these remind me of the Be2 pads on the Verite Open. I did quite enjoy vocals with these pads as they were pushed a little more forward. Overall not a huge change in sound from the Stock pads. If you want to squeeze as much as possible from the Caldera’s drivers, while still maintaining a similar tuning of the stock pads, these might be the pads for you.

Caldera THICC

Unfortunately I’ve not had the chance to check out these pads yet. I hope to hear them soon and will post my thoughts on them.

Zach said these are very chill, spacious and laid back sounding. Measurements show them as being very similar to the stock pads, but with a slightly reduced overall midrange and a small boost in the presence range.

Caldera COWHIDE
  • Narrower staging, but with more vertical height
  • More 3D sounding
  • Great dynamics, added weight and texture to bass
  • Visceral, but in a good way
  • Darker upper mids and lower treble
  • Least comfortable pads, very thin with harder covering and foam

Thoughts: Definitely the wild card of the current pad options. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from these, but I was pleasantly surprised. These are fun and addicting to listen to, while sacrificing a little of the Caldera's technical ability. The substantially different presentation and tactile bass response really drew me into these pads. The Cowhide pads aren’t going to be for everyone, but I think quite a few owners will LOVE these. While these are the least comfortable option out of all the pads, I wasn't that bothered wearing them. You might have to make small adjustments to headband and/or positioning to get them to seat well. Also despite being quite thin, my ears didn't touch the drivers.

Caldera SUEDE
  • Improved clarity (presence region bump)
  • A little more airy and energetic (small upper treble lift)
  • Very slight decrease in sub bass and bass impact
  • Female vocals shine
  • Very comfortable

Thoughts: These pads were another big surprise for me. I’ve had a love/hate relationship with ZMF suede pads in the past. These pads however aren’t your ordinary suede pads. The Caldera Suede pads are covered in a Alcantara-like material that feels very premium. The foam used is also slightly more stiff than previous ZMF suede pads. As far as how they sound, you get all the blissful benefits of the suede “sound” with very little trade-off. That’s pretty impressive. These pads will no doubt make a lot of owners happy. On top of that, they’re easily the most comfortable set out of all the pads.

So What’s The Word, Bird?

*Wanted to mention that instrument separation and imaging between the pads were very similar. No doubt a testament to the Caldera’s CAMS drivers and integrated ADS.

So which set of pads was my favorite for the Caldera? Easy, whichever one was on my head. I know, I know. That sounds like a cop out answer, but I honestly thought all four pads that I tested were exceptional.

-The Thin pads have the least deviation from the stock pads, but I could see listeners preferring them to squeeze the most out of the Caldera’s technical prowess.

-The Cowhide pads are easily the most different sounding pads, and they will also be the most divisive. While they’re the least technical pads, they really bring the BEAST out of the Caldera. They certainly put a smile on my face more than any of the other pads.

-On the other hand, when I would go back to the Stock pads I would realize how dialed in they were. The staging, sound and technical abilities were all perfectly balanced. After all, these are the pads Zach used to tune the Caldera with.

-Then there’s the Suede pads, which I also think are super special. They manage to retain most of the traits of the Stock pads, but add that extra little magic and euphonic goodness suede pads are known for. Plus they feel amazing.

Final, Final Thoughts

You can really go wrong with any of the pad options for the Caldera (although I can’t personally verify how the Thick pads sound). In addition to the stock pads, my advice would be to get both the Cowhide and Suede pads if you can. Those will give the full spectrum of what the Caldera pads have to offer. Then later you can always pick up the Thin or Thick pads if you want to further refine the Stock pad sound.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #1,371 of 7,192
CALDERA PAD REVIEW (Mini Edition)

All pads are hybrids (using the same material) with a perforated exterior and solid inside the ear cavity. No EQ was used while evaluating these pads.

GEAR CHAIN: TIDAL&FLACs>Singxer SU-1>Schiit Yggdrasil A1>DNA Stratus/OG Cavalli Liquid Gold/L0RDGYWN AEGIS>Caldera w/Verite Silver Cable

Caldera STOCK

Since the majority of Caldera owners will have a pair of these, I won’t go into too much detail on these. Unless noted, all comparisons will be referring to these pads.
  • Well balanced
  • Good dynamics and bass response
  • Great staging
  • Comfortable

Thoughts: There's a reason why these are the stock pads. The most well rounded pads that help put the Caldera up there with the rest of the TOTL planars. Probably the pads which the majority of listeners will end up daily driving.

Caldera THIN
  • Tighter bass response, slight increase in quality
  • Small decrease in bass quantity
  • Slightly more intimate staging
  • Faster attack/decay transients
  • Mids pushed forward, vocals a tad more prominent
  • Upper mids are a tad subdued
  • Comfortable

Thoughts: These bring out the Caldera’s technical side a bit more than the Stock pads. In a way these remind me of the Be2 pads on the Verite Open. I did quite enjoy vocals with these pads as they were pushed a little more forward. Overall not a huge change in sound from the Stock pads. If you want to squeeze as much as possible from the Caldera’s drivers, while still maintaining a similar tuning of the stock pads, these might be the pads for you.

Caldera THICC

Unfortunately I’ve not had the chance to check out these pads yet. I hope to hear them soon and will post my thoughts on them.

Zach said these are very chill, spacious and laid back sounding. Measurements show them as being very similar to the stock pads, but with a slightly reduced overall midrange and a small boost in the presence range.

Caldera COWHIDE
  • Narrower staging, but with more vertical height
  • More 3D sounding
  • Great dynamics, added weight and texture to bass
  • Visceral, but in a good way
  • Darker upper mids and lower treble
  • Least comfortable pads, very thin with harder covering and foam

Thoughts: Definitely the wild card of the current pad options. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from these, but I was pleasantly surprised. These are fun and addicting to listen to, while sacrificing a little of the Caldera's technical ability. The substantially different presentation and tactile bass response really drew me into these pads. The Cowhide pads aren’t going to be for everyone, but I think quite a few owners will LOVE these. While these are the least comfortable option out of all the pads, I wasn't that bothered wearing them. You might have to make small adjustments to headband and/or positioning to get them to seat well. Also despite being quite thin, my ears didn't touch the drivers.

Caldera SUEDE
  • Improved clarity (presence region bump)
  • A little more airy and energetic (small upper treble lift)
  • Very slight decrease in sub bass and bass impact
  • Female vocals shine
  • Very comfortable

Thoughts: These pads were another big surprise for me. I’ve had a love/hate relationship with ZMF suede pads in the past. These pads however aren’t your ordinary suede pads. The Caldera Suede pads are covered in a Alcantara-like material that feels very premium. The foam used is also slightly more stiff than previous ZMF suede pads. As far as how they sound, you get all the blissful benefits of the suede “sound” with very little trade-off. That’s pretty impressive. These pads will no doubt make a lot of owners happy. On top of that, they’re easily the most comfortable set out of all the pads.

So What’s The Word, Bird?

*Wanted to mention that instrument separation and imaging between the pads were very similar. No doubt a testament to the Caldera’s CAMS drivers and integrated ADS.

So which set of pads was my favorite for the Caldera? Easy, whichever one was on my head. I know, I know. That sounds like a cop out answer, but I honestly thought all four pads that I tested were exceptional.

-The Thin pads have the least deviation from the stock pads, but I could see listeners preferring them to squeeze the most out of the Caldera’s technical prowess.

-The Cowhide pads are easily the most different sounding pads, and they will also be the most divisive. While they’re the least technical pads, they really bring the BEAST out of the Caldera. They certainly put a smile on my face more than any of the other pads.

-On the other hand, when I would go back to the Stock pads I would realize how dialed in they were. The staging, sound and technical abilities were all perfectly balanced. After all, these are the pads Zach used to tune the Caldera with.

-Then there’s the Suede pads, which I also think are super special. They manage to retain most of the traits of the Stock pads, but add that extra little magic and euphonic goodness suede pads are known for. Plus they feel amazing.

Final, Final Thoughts

You can really go wrong with any of the pad options for the Caldera (although I can’t personally verify how the Thick pads sound). In addition to the stock pads, my advice would be to get both the Cowhide and Suede pads if you can. Those will give the full spectrum of what the Caldera pads have to offer. Then later you can always pick up the Thin or Thick pads if you want to further refine the Stock pad sound.
Very helpful and detailed. Can I ask how are upper mids on suede vs stock?

Nov 20, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #1,372 of 7,192
I've spent the last day or two with the caldera suede pads to compare them to the stock caldera pads. So far I'm finding them more confortable (as I find most suede pads) but having difficulty locking down sonic differences. Any thoughts I'd be posting now would be conjecture. I'll need to use them for a week then put on the stock again. I will say I think they're good for classical.

Here is a pic or two of the caldera for those of you waiting for them to go on sale...please remember that I STINK at taking photos of gear.

caldera1.jpgcaldera2.jpg
If you stink at taking photos, I'd love to see what you're good at. These are damn good....thx for sharing

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #1,373 of 7,192
Very helpful and detailed. Can I ask how are upper mids on suede vs stock?
I didn't find much difference in them. Maybe a tad less bite on guitars.
I think Zach will be posting the comparison measurements tomorrow, but they're almost identical.

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #1,374 of 7,192

caldera1.jpgcaldera2.jpg
Wow is that the coffee gold? The variation is much different from the one pictured on the website. Also do we know the discount for the amps if bundled?

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #1,375 of 7,192
I didn't find much difference in them. Maybe a tad less bite on guitars.
I think Zach will be posting the comparison measurements tomorrow, but they're almost identical.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! Thanks for the great write up :)

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #1,376 of 7,192
Wow is that the coffee gold? The variation is much different from the one pictured on the website. Also do we know the discount for the amps if bundled?
They are Macassar Ebony; I was lucky enough to get them from Canjam Socal.

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #1,377 of 7,192
Yeah it's also Copper! A very unique canjam set.

When you add the amp to your cart as bundled it'll show the discount price.

But, the 3a is 100 off, the 6a is 300 off, and the 300b is 500 off when bundled.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 20, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #1,378 of 7,192
Yeah it's also Copper! A very unique canjam set.

When you add the amp to your cart as bundled it'll show the discount price.

But, the 3a is 100 off, the 6a is 300 off, and the 300b is 500 off when bundled.
The iha6 is $600 when bundled right? Also how long after buying caldera will iha6 be offered as a discount? Don’t think I can get it all at once.

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #1,379 of 7,192
The iha6 is $600 when bundled right? Also how long after buying caldera will iha6 be offered as a discount? Don’t think I can get it all at once.
I think it says somewhere that the discount applies within 3 months after headphone purchase.

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #1,380 of 7,192
Unfortunately we had to raise the price to 699 because of shipping and import costs. So it's $100 off the IHA-6 now.
I think it says somewhere that the discount applies within 3 months after headphone purchase.
Yes correct!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back