ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Nov 21, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #1,396 of 7,364
I'm very close to naming my new favorite headphone....very, very close.
After reviewing the Caldera, the Aegis and the Cayin IHA 6, I've been able to remove my reviewers hat and get back to listening for fun, and I've reached for the same headphone three nights in a row.

The clarity+dynamics+speed+mids+layering+detail+staging= A new King.

New favorite for metal too?

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #1,398 of 7,364
So what is the recommendation for headphone and amp terminations ?

4 Pin xlr for amp and mini xlr for headphone ? Is mini xlr the most common ?

Looking for one that would make finding replacement cables easy, will work with both Cayin amp , and potentially plug-in directly to a MacBook (with an adapter)

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #1,399 of 7,364
You don't have a choice for he headphone connector -- it's mini xlr or nothing.

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #1,400 of 7,364
New favorite for metal too?
Yeah, its very close between the Caldera and Atrium. The Atrium has slightly better mids, better tone (for me) and better/bigger stage, but the Caldera takes everything else.

The stage on the Caldera is no slouch, nor are the mids, so it's only that lovely tone and natural decay of the Atrium that is a clear head and shoulders victory.

For a very long time I loved the VC, but the Caldera sweeps it across the board IMO. I'm guessing when the Caldera & Atrium closed (CC& AC?) drops I might lose my mind.
All ZMFs terminate in mini XLR. As far as the other termination, which ever matches up with your amp.

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #1,401 of 7,364
So what is the recommendation for headphone and amp terminations ?

Looking for one that would make finding replacement cables easy, will work with both Cayin amp , and potentially plug-in directly to a MacBook (with an adapter)
All ZMF's have mini-xlr connectors on the actual ear cups. That isn't changeable.

A 4-Pin XLR cable is always a good option IMO. Most headphone amps have them these days and you can easily get an adapter to use it single ended.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #1,402 of 7,364
Yeah, its very close between the Caldera and Atrium. The Atrium has slightly better mids, better tone (for me) and better/bigger stage, but the Caldera takes everything else.

The stage on the Caldera is no slouch, nor are the mids, so it's only that lovely tone and natural decay of the Atrium that is a clear head and shoulders victory.

For a very long time I loved the VC, but the Caldera sweeps it across the board IMO. I'm guessing when the Caldera & Atrium closed (CC& AC?) drops I might lose my mind.

All ZMFs terminate in mini XLR. As far as the other termination, which ever matches up with your amp.
That’s my biggest concern coming from atrium is the mids. I’m kinda used to the mid forward sound.

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #1,403 of 7,364
That’s my biggest concern coming from atrium is the mids. I’m kinda used to the mid forward sound.
I am having the toughest time deciding on whether to buy the sooner-upcoming Atrium Closed to pair with my Susvara or the further-down-the-road Caldera closed because of this lol. I love my VC, but I did prefer my Atriums to them due to the mids so I was pretty set on the Atrium Closed and seeing whether I keep that or the VC. That is...until the Caldera became a reality. Makes it much tougher because it sounds like Caldera and Atrium have a similar-ish sound profile.

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #1,404 of 7,364
I am having the toughest time deciding on whether to buy the sooner-upcoming Atrium Closed to pair with my Susvara or the further-down-the-road Caldera closed because of this lol. I love my VC, but I did prefer my Atriums to them due to the mids so I was pretty set on the Atrium Closed and seeing whether I keep that or the VC. That is...until the Caldera became a reality. Makes it much tougher because it sounds like Caldera and Atrium have a similar-ish sound profile.
I think it’s quite nice that zmf has the lineup it does. Me and the vc didn’t click like it has with so many others but the atrium is absolutely for me. I too preferred the atriums for the midrange.

Nov 21, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #1,406 of 7,364
I would be quite surprised if you end up being disappointed by the mids on the Caldera

Nov 21, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #1,407 of 7,364
I would be quite surprised if you end up being disappointed by the mids on the Caldera
It's funny cuz the mids seem to be the hardest thing to lock down for folks on the Caldera. I've read reviews where people say they're relaxed and similar to the VO and then I've read reports that they are even more forward than the Atrium! Unlike the VO/Atrium, seems like everyone experiences the mids very differently on the Caldera

Nov 21, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #1,409 of 7,364
It's funny cuz the mids seem to be the hardest thing to lock down for folks on the Caldera. I've read reviews where people say they're relaxed and similar to the VO and then I've read reports that they are even more forward than the Atrium! Unlike the VO/Atrium, seems like everyone experiences the mids very differently on the Caldera
Yup this is exactly how I feel. It’s why I’m like a broken record asking about mids lol.

Nov 21, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #1,410 of 7,364
CALDERA PAD REVIEW (Mini Edition)

All pads are hybrids (using the same material) with a perforated exterior and solid inside the ear cavity. No EQ was used while evaluating these pads.

GEAR CHAIN: TIDAL&FLACs>Singxer SU-1>Schiit Yggdrasil A1>DNA Stratus/OG Cavalli Liquid Gold/L0RDGYWN AEGIS>Caldera w/Verite Silver Cable

Caldera STOCK

Since the majority of Caldera owners will have a pair of these, I won’t go into too much detail on these. Unless noted, all comparisons will be referring to these pads.
  • Well balanced
  • Good dynamics and bass response
  • Great staging
  • Comfortable

Thoughts: There's a reason why these are the stock pads. The most well rounded pads that help put the Caldera up there with the rest of the TOTL planars. Probably the pads which the majority of listeners will end up daily driving.

Caldera THIN
  • Tighter bass response, slight increase in quality
  • Small decrease in bass quantity
  • Slightly more intimate staging
  • Faster attack/decay transients
  • Mids pushed forward, vocals a tad more prominent
  • Upper mids are a tad subdued
  • Comfortable

Thoughts: These bring out the Caldera’s technical side a bit more than the Stock pads. In a way these remind me of the Be2 pads on the Verite Open. I did quite enjoy vocals with these pads as they were pushed a little more forward. Overall not a huge change in sound from the Stock pads. If you want to squeeze as much as possible from the Caldera’s drivers, while still maintaining a similar tuning of the stock pads, these might be the pads for you.

Caldera THICC

Unfortunately I’ve not had the chance to check out these pads yet. I hope to hear them soon and will post my thoughts on them.

Zach said these are very chill, spacious and laid back sounding. Measurements show them as being very similar to the stock pads, but with a slightly reduced overall midrange and a small boost in the presence range.

Caldera COWHIDE
  • Narrower staging, but with more vertical height
  • More 3D sounding
  • Great dynamics, added weight and texture to bass
  • Visceral, but in a good way
  • Darker upper mids and lower treble
  • Least comfortable pads, very thin with harder covering and foam

Thoughts: Definitely the wild card of the current pad options. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from these, but I was pleasantly surprised. These are fun and addicting to listen to, while sacrificing a little of the Caldera's technical ability. The substantially different presentation and tactile bass response really drew me into these pads. The Cowhide pads aren’t going to be for everyone, but I think quite a few owners will LOVE these. While these are the least comfortable option out of all the pads, I wasn't that bothered wearing them. You might have to make small adjustments to headband and/or positioning to get them to seat well. Also despite being quite thin, my ears didn't touch the drivers.

Caldera SUEDE
  • Improved clarity (presence region bump)
  • A little more airy and energetic (small upper treble lift)
  • Very slight decrease in sub bass and bass impact
  • Female vocals shine
  • Very comfortable

Thoughts: These pads were another big surprise for me. I’ve had a love/hate relationship with ZMF suede pads in the past. These pads however aren’t your ordinary suede pads. The Caldera Suede pads are covered in a Alcantara-like material that feels very premium. The foam used is also slightly more stiff than previous ZMF suede pads. As far as how they sound, you get all the blissful benefits of the suede “sound” with very little trade-off. That’s pretty impressive. These pads will no doubt make a lot of owners happy. On top of that, they’re easily the most comfortable set out of all the pads.

So What’s The Word, Bird?

*Wanted to mention that instrument separation and imaging between the pads were very similar. No doubt a testament to the Caldera’s CAMS drivers and integrated ADS.

So which set of pads was my favorite for the Caldera? Easy, whichever one was on my head. I know, I know. That sounds like a cop out answer, but I honestly thought all four pads that I tested were exceptional.

-The Thin pads have the least deviation from the stock pads, but I could see listeners preferring them to squeeze the most out of the Caldera’s technical prowess.

-The Cowhide pads are easily the most different sounding pads, and they will also be the most divisive. While they’re the least technical pads, they really bring the BEAST out of the Caldera. They certainly put a smile on my face more than any of the other pads.

-On the other hand, when I would go back to the Stock pads I would realize how dialed in they were. The staging, sound and technical abilities were all perfectly balanced. After all, these are the pads Zach used to tune the Caldera with.

-Then there’s the Suede pads, which I also think are super special. They manage to retain most of the traits of the Stock pads, but add that extra little magic and euphonic goodness suede pads are known for. Plus they feel amazing.

Final, Final Thoughts

You can really go wrong with any of the pad options for the Caldera (although I can’t personally verify how the Thick pads sound). In addition to the stock pads, my advice would be to get both the Cowhide and Suede pads if you can. Those will give the full spectrum of what the Caldera pads have to offer. Then later you can always pick up the Thin or Thick pads if you want to further refine the Stock pad sound.
THANK YOU for a doing a considerable public service for all here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back