ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Nov 19, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #1,351 of 7,387
If you can't live with Kingwood then wait and buy stabilised Caldera next year. You're right, for that price they must be the perfect choice for you. Don't settle for second best.

Nov 19, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #1,353 of 7,387
Me too. Especially if you think there’s a good chance you’ll eventually want the stabilized it probably makes much more sense to get the stock now. Or even wait? There’s a big recession coming, it would not be crazy to want to save a thousand bucks in this scenario.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #1,354 of 7,387
I spent a good chunk of my first day and half listening to the Caldera on my iBasso DX240 DAP with Amp 8 MK2. I used a 4.4mm to XLR adapter and listened to it on that, as well as just listening to it on the single-ended output. I found the Caldera to have no issues with this portable source. I then took the Caldera for most of last night and today and plugged it into my normal listening setup of the Holo Spring 3 KTE and Bakoon AMP-13R through my Roon Core dedicated server PC. This opened up the quality quite a bit, with more depth, and improved resolution, and just opening up the overall sound in general. In my photo, I also have the new SMSL DO200 MK2 DAC, which was also sent to me for a review, and I've listened to it briefly with the Caldera, but I prefer the more engaging Holo Spring 3 in general.

I also compared it to the Hifiman Susvara on both source setups, and same general opinions on the source synergy. Susvara, as you know, needs quite a bit of current to get it to drive correctly, and just to get it loud. For reference, I had to double the volume output on high gain on my DAP to get it to the same listening levels.

Caldera General Impressions

I had a nice email exchange with Zach the other night sharing some music suggestions back and forth as we found out we share some common fondness for progressive bluegrass and indie folk music. For those who are interested in what type of m

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #1,355 of 7,387
Is it Tuesday yet?!?!

1668962463769.png

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #1,356 of 7,387
Nov 20, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #1,357 of 7,387
Nov 20, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #1,358 of 7,387
Nov 20, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #1,359 of 7,387
Would love the wood with black grills.

Give us your first impressions
I'm partial to Stainless (just think it POPS). Rest assured, I'll probably work from home the day they're expected to arrive just so I can stick them on my head as quickly as possible.

20220418_174819.jpg

Nov 20, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #1,361 of 7,387
Is it Tuesday yet?!?!

Is that what you're going for? I expect that'll be my choice too. I am fond of the oak, but the contrast between the Kingwood and aluminuim is just too stunning to ignore.

Of course there's always the internal battle of whether to wait until November for stabilised, but I think my (rough) plan is to buy these then hope Zach produces some stabilised/resin VO more to my taste next November to give a VC, VO and Caldera trifecta.

Nov 20, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #1,362 of 7,387
Is that what you're going for? I expect that'll be my choice too. I am fond of the oak, but the contrast between the Kingwood and aluminuim is just too stunning to ignore.

Of course there's always the internal battle of whether to wait until November for stabilised, but I think my (rough) plan is to buy these then hope Zach produces some stabilised/resin VO more to my taste next November to give a VC, VO and Caldera trifecta.
The timer is set, I'm ready to go!!!

You can always make more money, and therefore buy more Calderas! If you like them, I'm sure you won't have a problem selling them, either.

Screenshot_20221120-124010_Time Until.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #1,363 of 7,387
Caldera Music Rambling Episode #6

[IMG]

https://open.qobuz.com/album/w5wd2t3ctif8b

Wow, Caldera (equipped with suede pads atm) impressed me in the Firebird this morning. Caldera's very powerful and soulful presentation exhibited a fantastic mariage. For example, in the beginning of the first track, Caldera's reproduction presented that very subtly rumbling -- almost murmurings -- in the lowest strings were clearly separated from accents of the lowest winds and brass. They were also well-arrayed across a huge soundstage. The transition to full orchestration came soon successfully with heft, weights, and impacts to die for.

Switching to my Stealth, I found the orchestration became a bit more colorful and clearer. Tad better location, too. But I also lost a bit of extra warmth (not only tonally but also harmonically), power, and so-called soul I heard with Caldera.

Nov 20, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #1,365 of 7,387
@zach915m -- are you still planning on posting something about the various Caldera pad options before Tuesday? I still feel very much in the dark about the sonic qualities of each.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back