ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Sep 14, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #181 of 7,609
Grace Slick, Jorma Kaukonen, Paul Kantner et al may disagree…CD9C99A1-4242-4C05-9859-928EBA7C8D1F.jpeg
Saw them live at the Fillmore East 3-4X, including during launch of this album. No longer into it, but back then it was somewhat of an obsession.

Sep 14, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #182 of 7,609
Sep 14, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #184 of 7,609
Really? Why?
Not so much for the band, though I would've loved to have seen the Airplane in their groovy, psychedelic prime..

The two Fillmores, East and West however were iconic venues with tons of history, founded by Bill Graham. Everyone who was somebody played at at least one of the Fillmore venues

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fillmore_East#Notable_acts

EDIT: Never got to go to CBGBs either. Would've loved to have seen The Ramones and Blondie there!

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #185 of 7,609
EDIT: Never got to go to CBGBs either. Would've loved to have seen The Ramones and Blondie there!
For me Talking Heads at CBGB's would be an awesome way-back time portal experience. Little venues are fun. While doing military training in San Antonio I saw Cake at a small dive joint called the White Rabbit not long after Fashion Nugget was released. Sorry, don't mean to go off topic....Caldera! Eruptions, Lava, Yeah!

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #186 of 7,609
Just curious does anyone besides @warrenpchi have a demo unit?

Wondering if there's been any comparisons to any of the usual suspects.

LCD4
Susvara
HE6 OG
1266 TC

It's probably way too early for that but thought i'd ask anyways

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #187 of 7,609
Not so much for the band, though I would've loved to have seen the Airplane in their groovy, psychedelic prime..

The two Fillmores, East and West however were iconic venues with tons of history, founded by Bill Graham. Everyone who was somebody played at at least one of the Fillmore venues

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fillmore_East#Notable_acts

Miles Davis @ Fillmore East - in Bitches’ Brew era….😳😱🤣

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #188 of 7,609
For me Talking Heads at CBGB's would be an awesome way-back time portal experience. Little venues are fun. While doing military training in San Antonio I saw Cake at a small dive joint called the White Rabbit not long after Fashion Nugget was released. Sorry, don't mean to go off topic....Caldera! Eruptions, Lava, Yeah!
👆is about music; Caldera / ZMF is about (reproduction of) music; not off topic !! 😜🤷🏻‍♂️.

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #189 of 7,609

@Monsterzero, did you get yours yet? :smiley:

I'll try to get to more impressions as soon as I can, just been super busy here with last minute CanJam prep. In fact, I just finished a batch of pretty pictures, like this one:

CanJamSoCal2022_ZMFCaldera_01a.jpg

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #190 of 7,609
@Monsterzero, did you get yours yet? :smiley:

I'll try to get to more impressions as soon as I can, just been super busy here with last minute CanJam prep. In fact, I just finished a batch of pretty pictures, like this one:

Not yet. I know between getting ready for Canjam, Hot Summer Cup pt. 2 and answering a ton of questions & emails about the Caldera, Zach and Bevin and the entire ZMF crew are quite slammed at the moment, so I'm trying to be as patient as possible, but I really wanna hear the Caldera!

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #191 of 7,609
Miles Davis @ Fillmore East - in Bitches’ Brew era….😳😱🤣
Saw Miles 6-7x from ~1970 to 1974, though not at the Fillmore. Maybe the best was an insanely good concert at Town Hall.

I knew Miles' music very well before he went electric, and it was beyond incredible, but couldn't have been more different from the electric stuff. I remember sitting in those electric concerts, so lit up by what he was playing, also weirdly aware than many of his trad fans really really hated this stuff.

Then again, it was the '70s. S*** didn't have to make sense.

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #192 of 7,609
Saw Miles 6-7x from ~1970 to 1974, though not at the Fillmore. Maybe the best was an insanely good concert at Town Hall.

I knew Miles' music very well before he went electric** and it was beyond incredible, but couldn't have been more different from the electric stuff. I remember sitting in those electric concerts, so lit up by what he was playing, also weirdly aware than many of his trad fans really really hated this stuff.

Then again, it was the '70s. S*** didn't have to make sense.
**…K-O-B…Milestones…Miles Smiles…Seven Steps To Heaven…E.S.P. …..Sorcerer….what a phenomenal oeuvre!…(🥲 on Atrium, probably 🥲 on Caldera…)

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #193 of 7,609
Right you are, these have barely gotten past production IIRC...Unless I'm mistaken CanJam SoCal will have the 1st Calderas "in the wild" as it were. I think we're all itching for some more impressions.

They will come I am sure...

Sep 14, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #194 of 7,609

LCD4
Susvara
HE6 OG
1266 TC

Considering Zach said that these would drop in November, I'd say the only reason you're hearing about these now is for CanJam. That said, I'd expect the usual reviewer suspects to get them after CanJam is cleared. Personally after hearing both the Atrium and Auteur Classic, I don't expect the Caldera to be tuned too far from those two, but with a planar twist instead of the biocellulose drivers the other headphones have.

Sep 14, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #195 of 7,609

LCD4
Susvara
HE6 OG
1266 TC

I'll definitely compare the caldera to my 1266 tc and lcd 4 (he6 se v1 from memory) later this year. I've noticed some reviewers having at least a susvara or maybe an lcd 5 on sites like youtube, so at least we might see comparisons between the caldera and those.

I don't know if @zach915m mentioned what amp he's been primarily using during the making of this headphone (or maybe I missed such a comment in this thread). It would interesting to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back