ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Sep 13, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #151 of 7,087
Change of plans, the amplifier WILL be at CanJam. Just shipped it off direct to Cali :gs1000smile:
I still hope you may show your amp at CanJam NYC..

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #152 of 7,087
Sep 13, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #153 of 7,087
Man, I'm in the same boat. I keep acquiring ZMF headphones and I haven't sold a single one yet. Meanwhile, in the 15 years I've been in this hobby I've bought and sold headphones from many of the other popular brands (Focal, Sennheiser, Audeze, AKG, Stax, etc).
Sell your headphones? People do that? Isn’t that like selling your children? Do you check in with them later to see if they’re happy? What if the new person abuses them? Or uses them for polka?

Sep 13, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #154 of 7,087
I'll definitely consider it, we'll see how things go in SoCal!

Send it to me, and I'll see that it makes it to NY... mainly by virtue of you never getting it back! 🤣

Sep 13, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #155 of 7,087
I have to say, I don’t think it was so cool releasing the Atrium without giving ZMF’s loyal customers (of which I am one) a heads-up that there was a planar on the way. Sure, plenty of people would have bought the Atrium anyway but I have a feeling a lot of people would have held off and waited to hear reviews of the new planar before buying a new expensive flagship dynamic. I know I would have.

I think @zach915m is a standup guy and I give him the benefit of the doubt, but if I didn’t feel that way I would say the way these were rolled out feels like a cash grab.
Hard disagree with this comment. Zach doesn't owe you anything and he certainly doesn't need to publicly inform the market that he is launching a headphone 6 months down the line.

Sep 13, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #156 of 7,087
Send it to me, and I'll see that it makes it to NY... mainly by virtue of you never getting it back! 🤣

LOL sure thing, just put it in your carry on, I'm sure TSA will be very cool with it 😎

Hard disagree with this comment. Zach doesn't owe you anything and he certainly doesn't need to publicly inform the market that he is launching a headphone 6 months down the line.

This debate came to a close already, all was discussed and a happy ending reached, no need to open it up again IMO.

Sep 13, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #157 of 7,087
LOL sure thing, just put it in your carry on, I'm sure TSA will be very cool with it 😎

Oh I've traveled with amps, tubes, cables, and tools in Pelican cases before. Here's what you do:
  1. As it passes through the scanner, make contact with the TSA imaging officer
  2. Smile, do not stop smiling.
  3. Do not blink, not even once.
  4. Say "YUP!"

Sep 13, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #159 of 7,087
Ok, but the comment I quoted was literally from yesterday. Not exactly ancient history.

Nah but everyone made up and came to an understanding, so probably best not to reopen those wounds. Just my opinion of course!

Sep 13, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #160 of 7,087
Forgot about the original LCD-4. Suppose the Caldera could have clocked in closer to that and would have been very OTL friendly, but I imagine Zach and the team had a reason for the lower rating.
In my experience, pretty much all planar headphones are OTL-friendly, regardless of impedance. When you listen to one on an OTL, you don't get those wacky elevations in the bass region that dynamics experience. It has to do with planar drivers having much smaller impedance variation by frequency.

I'm not saying an OTL is the ideal amp for a planar--that would be the most powerful SS amp you can find that actually sounds good (for me that's Violectric). But it certainly won't sound "off" or bad.

Sep 13, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #162 of 7,087
Sep 14, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #163 of 7,087
I have to say, I don’t think it was so cool releasing the Atrium without giving ZMF’s loyal customers (of which I am one) a heads-up that there was a planar on the way. Sure, plenty of people would have bought the Atrium anyway but I have a feeling a lot of people would have held off and waited to hear reviews of the new planar before buying a new expensive flagship dynamic. I know I would have.

I think @zach915m is a standup guy and I give him the benefit of the doubt, but if I didn’t feel that way I would say the way these were rolled out feels like a cash grab.
I always buy ZMF few years after each release to get my favourite limited edition woods..... you don't need to buy every ZMF as new release..... maybe wait for the dust settles and let Zach irons out any bugs on the HP as you're spending at least $3.5k.....

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #164 of 7,087

Normally I wouldn't bother responding to a comment like this but I've seen many people weigh in their opinions and thought I'd add my own. This logic is completely preposterous. Imagine Apple announcing at an iPhone event to not buy the product because they are announcing another iPhone in the same year. Imagine Sony doing that, or Samsung, or literally any other manufacturer that makes products that people consume.

Why on earth would you think Zach should have pre-announced to the community that a product was coming out 7 months after another product was announced. They aren't even the same product. Ones a Dynamic and the other a Planar. They aren't in the same price point and aren't competing at all in the same lane.

On top of all of that he only has eight units available until November and the Atrium was announced in March. If you don't like the Atrium sell it and buy a Caldera in November or get lucky winning the lottery in SoCal with one of the handful of units available there.

Zach's given us clues all year that he has multiple things coming out. Maybe you weren't listening but most of us knew this was coming. We just didn't know the timeline.

To call @zach915m a stand-up guy and then leave a backhanded comment in the same sentence calling this a cash grab is lame.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #165 of 7,087
In my experience, pretty much all planar headphones are OTL-friendly, regardless of impedance. When you listen to one on an OTL, you don't get those wacky elevations in the bass region that dynamics experience. It has to do with planar drivers having much smaller impedance variation by frequency.

I'm not saying an OTL is the ideal amp for a planar--that would be the most powerful SS amp you can find that actually sounds good (for me that's Violectric). But it certainly won't sound "off" or bad.
I hope so, as my only amp. is Feliks Euforia AE (OTL) and with Auteur Classic plus another dynamic in my stable, super interested in Caldera and / or Audeze MM-500 for a contrast. I chatted with Feliks Audio cofounder earlier this week by email and he felt sensitivity was the key, such that while Susvara would be a no go (sensitivity = 86 dB), Caldera at 95 dB or possibly even MM-500 at 100dB could be driven properly. Hoping to try these combo's at CanJam, and as always ZMF's latest has me VERY interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back