ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 2, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #6,661 of 7,196
Sick set up. Can you compare how the Riviera drives the Caldera vs your other tube amps?

Riviera is insane. No other way to put it. And buying is also insane. No other way to put it. I'm not going to attempt to rationalize it. but I will say the reward is just a tript oa nother domain. It's the most effortlessly delivered power I've experienced from any amp, and its hybrid design allows lots (really material) tuning of sound via a signale 12au7 gain tube, coupled with an outstanidng class A solid stage output stage.

The Riviera is excellent with the Caldera. For me, its main use is with the Susvara; that combo may be one of the most breathaking synergies I've experienced. It is also outstanding wtih thte Tungsten.

For Caldera, I personally prefer the Decware/ZMF combo above all else. But if one likes SS amps, the Riviera would be it.

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #6,662 of 7,196
What is this ?

Switching means simply having multiple compoenents connected to the box and choosing which of those is used by turning a dial (i.e. switching)

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #6,663 of 7,196
That's unexpected answer haha. What's the benefit (in sound) to have ZMF Decware OTL as pre amp? Set aside to control the volume.

It really adds a lot to the quality of sound. The tubes rolled on it (my case RCA 6BQ7A, 2 x Tung-Sol JTL 5687, and GZ34 Brown Base) really add to the overall sound signature (I wrote on rolling 5687 tubes in the Decware/ZMF OTL thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/decware-reference-zmf-otl.969513/#post-17705745)

The combination provides much sweeter and smoother presentation than the Taboo on its own (which is also very good). And the tube rolling combos are endless across both to fine tune to your own system (DAC, power, etc)

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #6,664 of 7,196
Switching means simply having multiple compoenents connected to the box and choosing which of those is used by turning a dial (i.e. switching)
I understand it . :relaxed: Where can I buy this?

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #6,665 of 7,196
Riviera is insane. No other way to put it. And buying is also insane. No other way to put it. I'm not going to attempt to rationalize it. but I will say the reward is just a tript oa nother domain. It's the most effortlessly delivered power I've experienced from any amp, and its hybrid design allows lots (really material) tuning of sound via a signale 12au7 gain tube, coupled with an outstanidng class A solid stage output stage.

The Riviera is excellent with the Caldera. For me, its main use is with the Susvara; that combo may be one of the most breathaking synergies I've experienced. It is also outstanding wtih thte Tungsten.

For Caldera, I personally prefer the Decware/ZMF combo above all else. But if one likes SS amps, the Riviera would be it.
Questyle Cma Fifteen is insane too..

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #6,666 of 7,196
I understand it . :relaxed: Where can I buy this?

If you want a custom one, I recommend Zynsonix. If he doesn't have one premade to what you're looking for, he can build one for you (though custom build will be more expensive).

There are also quite a few pre built very chewap options online on amazon, like Nosbound (never tried, can't comment on quality) and others if you swearch for it.

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #6,667 of 7,196

Damn guess I won't buy that Mass Kobo 465 in the classifieds. :)

I've been a believer in mixed tube amp chains myself as well. Currently I like tubes as a pre into solid state for my Atrium Closed to really bring out impact.
While the Caldera sings with R2R or a tube dac/pre into specifically 300B tubes in my experience

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #6,668 of 7,196
Damn guess I won't buy that Mass Kobo 465 in the classifieds. :)

I've been a believer in mixed tube amp chains myself as well. Currently I like tubes as a pre into solid state for my Atrium Closed to really bring out impact.
While the Caldera sings with R2R or a tube dac/pre into specifically 300B tubes in my experience

As it happens, I was lucky to test both the Riviera and 465 side-by-side at SoCal and that was a decisive comparison for me.

There is some real value added in adding tube pre-amping. I can't necessary explain, nor understand, the science behind it; on the outcome. I've experiemented with the Decware/ZMF OTL is a pre into several amps, and it always had some sonic impact. I left it where I thought this impact was at its best for my use case.

In 2 channel audio, preamp is a key part, often by necessatiy (volume stage required before speaker amp; unless integrated used) and design (multiple sources may be connected). So it is a focus in experimenting with synergy.

In headphones that rarely happens, because headphones amp integrated amps (with integrated volume control) and we rare use multiple sources (usually one from DAC, perhaps two if you use a CD transport as I do, or Vynil as others do; and often those components are handled by a DAC/pre-amp unit).

But, some wonderful discoveries can be found.. and for anyone who likes to play around.. well..

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #6,669 of 7,196
This is a lot like a pig rolling in s***t (hint: I'm the pig).​
If your components were from a different company there would be an obvious joke here. 😉

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #6,670 of 7,196
There is some real value added in adding tube pre-amping. I can't necessary explain, nor understand, the science behind it; on the outcome. I've experiemented with the Decware/ZMF OTL is a pre into several amps, and it always had some sonic impact. I left it where I thought this impact was at its best for my use case.
This is really interesting to me in that I could use my Woo WA2 OTL as a pre into my RSA Apache as the power stage for a Caldera Closed in a year’s time (timing due to savings)… 🤔

Not sure whether I should thank you or curse you. 😉

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #6,671 of 7,196
Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #6,672 of 7,196
This is really interesting to me in that I could use my Woo WA2 OTL as a pre into my RSA Apache as the power stage for a Caldera Closed in a year’s time (timing due to savings)… 🤔

Not sure whether I should thank you or curse you. 😉
I've never heard one of his amps. Any good?

Mar 2, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #6,674 of 7,196
Mar 2, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #6,675 of 7,196
Talking about tube pre-amps, I accidently stumbled onto a SS pre-amp into a tube amp which works as well.

I bought a Pass Labs HPA-1 with the intention of selling my Woo Wa6-SE. Unfortunately the Woo didn't have a pre-out, but the Pass Labs did. I figured I'd hook it up just to try it out.

Man. Been amazing. Was looking to upgrade off the Woo because it was too soft for the Calderas. Now with the Pass Labs it added so much more punch, definition, while keeping the tube goodness. Loving it so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back