ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #6,646 of 7,196
79ff1393-4a4d-426b-b0c2-b00045c9e848_text.gif

Sorry, I had to.

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #6,647 of 7,196
And it's not just

amp rolling(TM).jpg

It's also system rolling (here, at least), which in my case builds off amp rolling. There are two systems in this home office (about 7 feet apart):
Main system: DAC (MHDT Labs Orchid) + DDC + two or sometimes three amps (currently V281 & Icon Audio HP8, with the V281 serving as preamp) + electronic crossover + class D amp + speakers (KEF 103.2s) + sub (JLAudio e110)​
Side system: DAC (Metrum Onyx) + DDC + Wells Milo + Liquid Carbon v2​
I often use a given pair of headphones (usually the Caldera) to hear one system, then the other: in effect, amp rolling and system rolling simultaneously.

Today I plan to amp roll across systems: swap the Wells Milo with the Icon Audio HP8. I've never heard the Milo with the Orchid, or the HP8 with the Onyx. Now I'll be able to.

This is a lot like a pig rolling in s***t (hint: I'm the pig).

Very nice!

My system changes are much more amp-centric. I have a custom switch box that lets me plug in up to 4 amps with XLRs and 4 amps with RCAs (8 amps total) to my DAC (I currently use the Bricasti M3). So I can easily flick between amps based on mood or application. This has been a game changer for me. Some changes are always under way (e.g. currently testing a to-be-announced amp that may be one of the best I've ever heard for Caldera), but it's generally a very stable system otherwise!

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #6,648 of 7,196
Very nice!

My system changes are much more amp-centric. I have a custom switch box that lets me plug in up to 4 amps with XLRs and 4 amps with RCAs (8 amps total) to my DAC (I currently use the Bricasti M3). So I can easily flick between amps based on mood or application. This has been a game changer for me. Some changes are always under way (e.g. currently testing a to-be-announced amp that may be one of the best I've ever heard for Caldera), but it's generally a very stable system otherwise!
For some reason, I have an image in my head of the old style telephone exchanges where the operator pulls a plug and quickly plugs it into another socket to connect the caller. Except in this case it’s a large bank of amps instead of phone sockets 😂

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #6,649 of 7,196
For some reason, I have an image in my head of the old style telephone exchanges where the operator pulls a plug and quickly plugs it into another socket to connect the caller. Except in this case it’s a large bank of amps instead of phone sockets 😂

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #6,651 of 7,196
Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #6,652 of 7,196

not quite, just dial turns.. though the mechanics inside are just plain old switching.. built by @HiGHFLYiN9 from Zynsonix (whom I can't recommend enough):

1709405143852.png

This little box currently connects many amps seamlessly.

1709405621626.png

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #6,653 of 7,196
not quite, just dial turns.. though the mechanics inside are just plain old switching.. built by @HiGHFLYiN9 from Zynsonix (whom I can't recommend enough):

1709405143852.png

This little box seamless currently connects many amps seamlessly.

1709405621626.png

Hi, from your amps collection, which amp you like the most for Caldera? Highly curious about Aegis vs ZMF Decware to drive Caldera (I know it's OTL, but still...)

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #6,654 of 7,196
You do realise those red covers make the switches look like the ones that release missiles from planes… I’ve watched Top Gun you know 😂 I’d be scared I was about to start ww3

In all seriousness, that looks a great control system

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #6,655 of 7,196
Mar 2, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #6,656 of 7,196
Hi, from your amps collection, which amp you like the most for Caldera? Highly curious about Aegis vs ZMF Decware to drive Caldera (I know it's OTL, but still...)

That one is very easy to answer -

the combination of the Decware/ZMF OTL, used as preamp, into the Decware Taboo (mine is an older SE84TS+ version) as power amp.

that combination is intoxicating with the Caldera, providing a fantastically holographic/3D soundstage and wonderfully clean and spacious presentation.

I can't recommend this enough!!

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #6,657 of 7,196

1709405143852.png

This little box seamless currently connects many amps seamlessly.

1709405621626.png
Sick set up. Can you compare how the Riviera drives the Caldera vs your other tube amps?

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #6,658 of 7,196
That one is very easy to answer -

the combination of the Decware/ZMF OTL, used as preamp, into the Decware Taboo (mine is an older SE84TS+ version) as power amp.

that combination is intoxicating with the Caldera, providing a fantastically holographic/3D soundstage and wonderfully clean and spacious presentation.

I can't recommend this enough!!

That's unexpected answer haha. What's the benefit (in sound) to have ZMF Decware OTL as pre amp? Set aside to control the volume.

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #6,659 of 7,196
You do realise those red covers make the switches look like the ones that release missiles from planes… I’ve watched Top Gun you know 😂

yea, that was a quirky design choice - the purpose is that, for each of the XLR and RCA options, there is one (the last one) where I must flip the cover open and turn the switch on to allow the connection.

Originally, I had my power amp and sub connected to these and used the Bricasti's built in preamp (which is a good one). But for headphones, the volume is unity gain. I didn't want to risk blowing off my speakers because I forgot to decrease the preamp volume from unity again.. so this forced me to think about it.

This remains a fun feature. And.. I used be a pilot 30 years ago so it gives me a little chuckle... :wink:

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #6,660 of 7,196
Brilliant. Great setup!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back