ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 21, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #6,511 of 7,195
During these days I have been listening to the CALDERA's with the stock cables, as I had understood, from what I had read around, that they were more than fine. And they certainly are. I also listened to them with the Meze silver ones... but, at least at the time, I didn't get the feeling that the improvement was significant enough - this afternoon, having a look at a video of Lachlan from Passion for sound I see that he also had a similar impression, although connecting them to the Atriums. The conclusions so far were: very good, but.... (and the but seemed to me almost "indisputable", especially when comparing them to the CHARYBDIS and EMPYREAN).

However, today I decided to put them with the ERZETICH headphone cables, which, I would say, are made of OFC copper. Wow, wow! There is no more buts, as they say. The CALDERA are completely transformed - also, as it were: the sound is much more open - more lively or alive: the dynamics are offered without complexes, although it does not reach the level of the CHARYBDIS -, the voices are moved forward a step or two, the timbre is more realistic... With the Meze silvers, the CALDERAs gain in clarity, though without reaching the diamond-like. I would also say that the weight of the notes is better measured. However, the ERZETICH cable, without being in premium territory -I don't think it's necessary either- gives the CALDERAs a liveliness that I don't perceive with the MEZE ones. As if the CALDERA's were better at copper....

In my opinion, the CALDERAs are in the same league as the SUSVARAs and if I had to choose, I would certainly go for the ZMF headphones. At least, for the tonality, leaving aside the fact that they are MUCH easier to drive, even though they scale -and quite a lot- with the type of amplification.

Anyway, there it is...

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #6,512 of 7,195
During these days I have been listening to the CALDERA's with the stock cables, as I had understood, from what I had read around, that they were more than fine. And they certainly are. I also listened to them with the Meze silver ones... but, at least at the time, I didn't get the feeling that the improvement was significant enough - this afternoon, having a look at a video of Lachlan from Passion for sound I see that he also had a similar impression, although connecting them to the Atriums. The conclusions so far were: very good, but.... (and the but seemed to me almost "indisputable", especially when comparing them to the CHARYBDIS and EMPYREAN).

However, today I decided to put them with the ERZETICH headphone cables, which, I would say, are made of OFC copper. Wow, wow! There is no more buts, as they say. The CALDERA are completely transformed - also, as it were: the sound is much more open - more lively or alive: the dynamics are offered without complexes, although it does not reach the level of the CHARYBDIS -, the voices are moved forward a step or two, the timbre is more realistic... With the Meze silvers, the CALDERAs gain in clarity, though without reaching the diamond-like. I would also say that the weight of the notes is better measured. However, the ERZETICH cable, without being in premium territory -I don't think it's necessary either- gives the CALDERAs a liveliness that I don't perceive with the MEZE ones. As if the CALDERA's were better at copper....

In my opinion, the CALDERAs are in the same league as the SUSVARAs and if I had to choose, I would certainly go for the ZMF headphones. At least, for the tonality, leaving aside the fact that they are MUCH easier to drive, even though they scale -and quite a lot- with the type of amplification.

Anyway, there it is...
So you'd rate the Charybdis above Caldera?

Can you compare them in a little more detail?

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #6,513 of 7,195
I have a Feliks Euforia EVO and Chord Hugo 2 and have been painfully deliberating over the purchase of a Caldera. What I have read suggests that the EVO is not a good match for the Calera planer, I wrote to ZMF who also said its not a perfect pairing. I am not sure either that the Hugo 2 will provide the warm, weighty, punchy sound that I am looking for. Am I resigned to needing to purchase a new amp were I to buy the Caldera? I would probably be looking at at Violectric solid state amp but keen to hear of any suggestions as I am going round in circles on this.

Definitely check out the ZMF amp thread and see if you can find better answers: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/

I think (with my limited knowledge and experience) Caldera would probably be better suited with a lower output impedance amp like
an OTC, or a solid-state. Euforia doesn't have the highest output impedance though so it COULD work, but perhaps not drive them to the fullest.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #6,514 of 7,195

Anyway, there it is...

Well after tried multiple cable brands, my preference always the one with full copper material for Caldera. Really depend on the synergy with set up as well though.

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #6,515 of 7,195
Do people not realise that the cables that connect the headphone to the driver are the weakest link and that anything that you put it front of this will simply not matter!! ... Honestly, I can appreciate the visual appreciation afforded to high end cables, and the luxury feel, but surely end users must understand the basic principles regarding the weakest link in their respective chain ...

A fool and his money are soon parted for sure in this business ...

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #6,516 of 7,195
While cables are certainly one of the most controversial topics in this hobby, I actually don't think what you said is true at all. Along my journey I've found, somewhat to my surprise, that the vast majority of the time you get what you pay for. Diminishing returns, sure, but there's really very little "snake oil" in this market to part fools from their money. This is a tough niche, I think snake oil generally just doesn't survive.

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #6,517 of 7,195
Do people not realise that the cables that connect the headphone to the driver are the weakest link and that anything that you put it front of this will simply not matter!! ... Honestly, I can appreciate the visual appreciation afforded to high end cables, and the luxury feel, but surely end users must understand the basic principles regarding the weakest link in their respective chain ...

There are going to be people who are going to have passionate views on both sides.

Respect both sides point of view. People who are big on cables should not call those who are not big on cables tone deaf, and people who are not big on cables should not call people who are big on cables fools.

Not cool. If you want to have that kind of confrontational posture you can post on Audio Science Review.

If you want to have a conversation about cables, do it in a respectful way.

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #6,518 of 7,195
While cables are certainly one of the most controversial topics in this hobby, I actually don't think what you said is true at all. Along my journey I've found, somewhat to my surprise, that the vast majority of the time you get what you pay for. Diminishing returns, sure, but there's really very little "snake oil" in this market to part fools from their money. This is a tough niche, I think snake oil generally just doesn't survive.

I disagree ...

Unfortunately, and I wish the opposite was true.

Auditory memory and being able to distinguish between the differences a cable can make is foolhardy at best unless the differences are massive. The weakest link will always win I'm afraid to say.

Its not a bad thing though is ti?

Some will need to accept that that choices and evaluations they make are based on the cable being seen as 'jewellery' rather than adding any significant improvement to their listening experience.

Just like in professional sports we always look for magical gains ... Sometimes those gains are hard to justify and sometimes they are not.

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #6,519 of 7,195
I disagree ...

Unfortunately, and I wish the opposite was true.

Auditory memory and being able to distinguish between the differences a cable can make is foolhardy at best unless the differences are massive. The weakest link will always win I'm afraid to say.

Its not a bad thing though is ti?

Some will need to accept that that choices and evaluations they make are based on the cable being seen as 'jewellery' rather than adding any significant improvement to their listening experience.

Just like in professional sports we always look for magical gains ... Sometimes those gains are hard to justify and sometimes they are not.
If, by your estimation, the system is only as good as its weakest link and the weakest link is the headphone cable then wouldn't having a better quality headphone cable improve the system? Not sure I follow the logic of your argument, and this would also imply that amps, DACs, source quality, etc. don't matter because they're all coming before the "weakest link". Maybe I fell for the bait though since these are odd messages to post after 1.5 years of not making any posts here and seem like they could just be trolling..

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #6,520 of 7,195
If, by your estimation, the system is only as good as its weakest link and the weakest link is the headphone cable then wouldn't having a better quality headphone cable improve the system? Not sure I follow the logic of your argument, and this would also imply that amps, DACs, source quality, etc. don't matter because they're all coming before the "weakest link". Maybe I fell for the bait though since these are odd messages to post after 1.5 years of not making any posts here and seem like they could just be trolling..
I am going to say one more thing.

Don't feed the troll, and hit the ignore button on Andy73.

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #6,521 of 7,195

I just sit quietly enjoying the music but there are times when I feel encouraged to impart an opinion.

I read various forums, frequently, and sometimes comment when something just doesn't feel right ... People can spend what they want on a system but I think spending money on cables to supposedly improve sound quality is a step in the wrong direction.

I own LCD 5's and they require EQ ... Can a cable achieve what I desire by the very nature of their capacitance or purity?

Maybe I don't have golden ears and maybe I should just withdraw to the shadows once again and chortle at those making such bold claims ...

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #6,522 of 7,195
I own LCD 5's and they require EQ ... Can a cable achieve what I desire by the very nature of their capacitance or purity?

No, cables don't affect the sound in my opinion. I have some nice custom built cables (including silver one) but not because I can hear any difference.

I was once offered to buy an overpriced (600 gbp) silver cable at CanJam London. But... it didn't sound any better than stock cable from Focal.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #6,523 of 7,195
No, cables don't affect the sound in my opinion. I have some nice custom built cables (including silver one) but not because I can hear any difference.

I was once offered to buy an overpriced (600 gbp) silver cable at CanJam London. But... it didn't sound any better than stock cable from Focal.

I agree with you ...

I once owned the Diana V2's with their upgraded cable, which cost over £1k, and there was no difference in sound quality.

The upgraded cable was wonderful to behold and touch but offered no sonic improvement.

I learned my lesson for sure!

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #6,524 of 7,195

Anyway, there it is...
I'm one of those doomed individuals who hears differences between passive components like headphone cables, interconnect, and power cables. Rarely are the differences very large, but in audio, even small sonic differences that push the sound in the direction of my sonic tastes are meaningful to me.

I use the largest copper cable I could find (a gorgeous custom built cable that I promised the mfr I wouldn't publicize because he doesn't want to produce them) and it definitely makes a difference. The Caldera's sonic capabilities are, if not infinite, wider than pretty much any headphone I've ever encountered. It always has something extra "in the tank" if I exert myself to seek it out. And so it is with big copper cables, which make a difference.

The Caldera also fully validates my addiction to multiple headphone amps. Once I got started in this hobby 5-6 yrs ago, I always had more than a half dozen amps on hand, sometimes twice that (it's now 8 or 9). Well, the Caldera's resolution is such that it easily reveals to me exactly what differences there are between this and that amp. It easily, authoritatively reveals those differences. Tonight I'll compare the sound of the Wells Milo and Cavalli Liquid Carbon v2, two of my three favorite SS amps (the 3rd being the V281). The distinct personality of each amp comes through so clearly with the Caldera.

I give credit to ZMF for many things. One of them is delivering resolution to my treble-averse ears in a way that shows me how glorious high resolution can really be (when it's conjoined with musicality/musical verisimilitude).

All to say the Caldera has a gread deal of upside. It always seems to go higher when I give it a chance to ... one of the hallmarks of a true TOTL amp.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #6,525 of 7,195
I'm one of those doomed individuals who hears differences between passive components like headphone cables, interconnect, and power cables. Rarely are the differences very large, but in audio, even small sonic differences that push the sound in the direction of my sonic tastes are meaningful to me.

I use the largest copper cable I could find (a gorgeous custom built cable that I promised the mfr I wouldn't publicize because he doesn't want to produce them) and it definitely makes a difference. The Caldera's sonic capabilities are, if not infinite, wider than pretty much any headphone I've ever encountered. It always has something extra "in the tank" if I exert myself to seek it out. And so it is with big copper cables, which make a difference.

The Caldera also fully validates my addiction to multiple headphone amps. Once I got started in this hobby 5-6 yrs ago, I always had more than a half dozen amps on hand, sometimes twice that (it's now 8 or 9). Well, the Caldera's resolution is such that it easily reveals to me exactly what differences there are between this and that amp. It easily, authoritatively reveals those differences. Tonight I'll compare the sound of the Wells Milo and Cavalli Liquid Carbon v2, two of my three favorite SS amps (the 3rd being the V281). The distinct personality of each amp comes through so clearly with the Caldera.

I give credit to ZMF for many things. One of them is delivering resolution to my treble-averse ears in a way that shows me how glorious high resolution can really be (when it's conjoined with musicality/musical verisimilitude).

All to say the Caldera has a gread deal of upside. It always seems to go higher when I give it a chance to ... one of the hallmarks of a true TOTL amp.
I think ZMF are a brilliant company and have owned, over the years, many of their headphones. Some I have liked more than others but their design philosophy is on another level compared to the competition.

I look at phots of the Caldera on this thread and they almost look too good to behold.

I ended up with the LCD'5 which look boring in comparison and that maybe part of ZMF's success. I would love to compare them against what I have but that's not an easy task. If the Caldera is better suited to my taste then I would swap the LCD's no problem. Alas that is not easy for me ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back