ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Jan 22, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #6,271 of 7,198
Yeah I certainly don't presume the Cayin is the be-all of amps for the Caldera, but I was wanting to give tubes a proper go and this has brought a nice change from my thicker sounding V226 - More spacious and vibrant.

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #6,272 of 7,198
I'd like to ask to these with Bliss and caldera about it's operating temperature.
Given the review in goldensound, he claims the amp needs a good hour before getting into full potential. Specially in dynamics and bass.
Can anyone confirm or?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #6,273 of 7,198
I'd like to ask to these with Bliss and caldera about it's operating temperature.
Given the review in goldensound, he claims the amp needs a good hour before getting into full potential. Specially in dynamics and bass.
Can anyone confirm or?

That’s the nature of all class A amplifiers (which this is as well if I recall correctly?)

They’ll always reach their optimal performance after taking a bit to warm up and reach their optimal operating temp (they are all rather hot as they stay “on” all the time and are rather inefficient energy wise; but also sound great because of that)

Doesn’t mean the amp won’t sound good as soon as you switch it on, just that it would sound even better after 30-60 min

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #6,274 of 7,198
Wow. That is the most insane sounds-spinning-around-in-the-air I have ever heard. Is that a new technology that can be applied to various songs or does it have to be recorded like that. I assume the latter. I could listen to an album of that applied to different sounds.
LOL. Listen this with the Caldera. Insane!!!

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #6,275 of 7,198
Jan 22, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #6,276 of 7,198
Can anyone confirm or?
Cant confirm, 20-30 min and you are good, the difference is not that big either, there is slightly fuller bass after the thing warmed up. I believe its adviced not to shut down the amp and dac without much reason (like leaving for a longer periods of time) in the first place, since higher amount of restart circles is supposed to shorten the livespan of some components.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #6,277 of 7,198
Agreed about the minor changes to the bass with the Bliss after it's been on for a bit.

I leave my May on 24/7, barring 3+ day trips away from home. I usually power on my Bliss in the morning when I start work for the day and only turn it off when I'm confident I'm done using it for the day.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #6,278 of 7,198
First of all thanks!
That’s the nature of all class A amplifiers (which this is as well if I recall correctly?)

They’ll always reach their optimal performance after taking a bit to warm up and reach their optimal operating temp (they are all rather hot as they stay “on” all the time and are rather inefficient energy wise; but also sound great because of that)

Doesn’t mean the amp won’t sound good as soon as you switch it on, just that it would sound even better after 30-60 min
Well I have my own a class A amp. And yes, I consider it's on full potential about after 30min on. The thing on that review is that he claims the amp is well burned in and still needs a good hour of usage before releasing good dynamics.
Cant confirm, 20-30 min and you are good, the difference is not that big either, there is slightly fuller bass after the thing warmed up. I believe its adviced not to shut down the amp and dac without much reason (like leaving for a longer periods of time) in the first place, since higher amount of restart circles is supposed to shorten the livespan of some components.
20-30 min it's something I can live with. 1 hour it's a bit too much. Besides the working hours, I don't have much free time, and having to wait 1 hour to listen something it's a no go for me.
Agreed about the minor changes to the bass with the Bliss after it's been on for a bit.

I leave my May on 24/7, barring 3+ day trips away from home. I usually power on my Bliss in the morning when I start work for the day and only turn it off when I'm confident I'm done using it for the day.
Well thanks again. I am considering an upgrade from my Fluxlab FA-12, and the Holo combo looks great. Was thinking of starting by the bliss and see how it pairs with the pontus ii. Can't go for both of them at once. The caldera let me a bit broke already. That's why I have to make a good decision on the amp.

Edit: removed some things about power cycling since I posted without reading a bit before. You all seem right.
Never expected this audio path would take me in both eargasm and learning so much.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #6,279 of 7,198
Unseelie has arrived! My photography skills cannot do it justice..

The components go together perfectly. Stunning cups, white gold gunmetal grille, beautiful purple chassis...Fabulous work @zach915m

Edit: made a mistake, the grill is actually Gunmetal!

Attachments

• IMG_2550.JPEG
    IMG_2550.JPEG
    764.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2554.JPEG
    IMG_2554.JPEG
    956 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2556.JPEG
    IMG_2556.JPEG
    834 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2557.JPEG
    IMG_2557.JPEG
    528.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #6,280 of 7,198

The components go together perfectly. Stunning cups, white gold grille, beautiful purple chassis...Fabulous work @zach915m

This might be the coolest looking purple stab out of any ZMF I've seen. That white gold grill works perfectly. (I couldn't tell if it was gunmetal or a black grill at first).

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #6,281 of 7,198
Gunmetal always looks cool! Can’t wait until Zach and the team start using gunmetal on their cables.

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #6,282 of 7,198
This might be the coolest looking purple stab out of any ZMF I've seen. That white gold grill works perfectly. (I couldn't tell if it was gunmetal or a black grill at first).
White gold :)

I was incorrect, they are Gunmetal!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #6,284 of 7,198

The components go together perfectly. Stunning cups, white gold grille, beautiful purple chassis...Fabulous work @zach915m
That is one ridiculously good looking headphone, damn.

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #6,285 of 7,198
First of all thanks!

Well I have my own a class A amp. And yes, I consider it's on full potential about after 30min on. The thing on that review is that he claims the amp is well burned in and still needs a good hour of usage before releasing good dynamics.

20-30 min it's something I can live with. 1 hour it's a bit too much. Besides the working hours, I don't have much free time, and having to wait 1 hour to listen something it's a no go for me.
30min max for me on the Bliss. I leave my Spring 3 on 24/7 and like others only turn it off if I am going to leave on a trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back