ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Jan 26, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #6,302 of 7,217
Whoever this caldera belongs to, I’ll send it back to zmf on Monday, I promise, lol
IMG_1505.jpeg

Jan 26, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #6,303 of 7,217
Whoever this caldera belongs to, I’ll send it back to zmf on Monday, I promise, lolIMG_1505.jpeg
Were you sent a Caldera instead of an Atrium??

Jan 26, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #6,305 of 7,217
yeah, stupidly I reached back out immediately, oh well, it's the right thing to do, lol
The good karma will pay off in the future :)

Jan 26, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #6,306 of 7,217
yeah, stupidly I reached back out immediately, oh well, it's the right thing to do, lol
That is not stupid at all, that is the right thing. If I were in your shoes I would had done the same, as I think it would had gnawed at my conscious for sometime otherwise lol, would had preferred to own something I paid for instead.

Inb4 Zach lets you have the choice of keeping it or waiting for an Atrium :)

Jan 26, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #6,307 of 7,217
Anybody have thoughts on the caldera vs susvara?
Susvara = arguably more resolving, airier, 2x the price.
Caldera = better bass/slam, balanced, heirloom/artistic quality construction, easier to drive.

Both are reputed to be best in class for timbre. YMMV.

Not saying one is "better" than the other, but objectively I think these are the bullet points.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #6,308 of 7,217
Whoever this caldera belongs to, I’ll send it back to zmf on Monday, I promise, lol

The good karma will pay off in the future :)
ZMF takes care of their customers better than anyone I know. They'll make it up to you nicely as a good customer and maybe with credit toward another purchase.
Anyway, you got to have a free demo of the Caldera. :thumbsup: The Atrium is awesome and you'll not regret the correction.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #6,310 of 7,217
Jan 26, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #6,311 of 7,217
ZMF takes care of their customers better than anyone I know. They'll make it up to you nicely as a good customer and maybe with credit toward another purchase.
Anyway, you got to have a free demo of the Caldera. :thumbsup: The Atrium is awesome and you'll not regret the correction.
yeah, it's not usually the sound signature I go for, but still pretty nice to be able to demo it for the wkn, haha

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #6,315 of 7,217
Anybody have thoughts on the caldera vs susvara?
I tested the susvara in a dual monoblock speaker amplifier AHB2 by benchmark.
The sound on susvara is very refined. As some mentioned airy. But not only airy, the sound seems to come out of nowhere, like instead of a headphones you had a helmet.
Regardless of presentation, I find the susvara lacking on bass response. Even on monster amplifiers. The vocals are nice and the timber natural. I thought to myself, it's a pretty good headphones, but I don't like to eq, and susvara need a bass shelf yes or yes. Sometimes even thought was too relaxed sounding headphones.
The caldera on the other hand, is energetic, bigger soundstage and overall better positioning, treable is sparkle and not less airy than susvara, just different flavour.
What caldera does very differently is the bass, which is superb. It also sounds more rounded across the entire spectrum. Cohesive, natural, but at the same time energetic and wide.
Both are comfortable enough, but caldera wins in this department by a little margin.
The looks.. oh boy, caldera all the way.
And the amplification... Well it's true the caldera scales very good with good amps, but you don't need 2 monoblocks to run. In fact is one of the easiest to drive headphones I have tried and now I posses (my treasure) hehe.
The susvara will eat you twice your wallet between the headphones themselves and amplification. And perhaps you end up like my friend, who went susvara all the way (the guy with the two AHB2) and after auditioning my calderas in a much weaker chain. The first thing he did was a poker face followed by a facepalm.
He's still owning the susvara, but everyday he ask me how the sound is evolving on my calderas. As he tried them with not much more than 10h of burning. And Caldera is becoming better and better every day of usage.
Not to praise caldera or zmf blindly, but in my opinion. This whole write up, should serve you well.
Hope it helps. If you have any further questions, pm.
Btw guys, it's true there is a search option. But sometimes we need a fresh input. And when you have been searching for hours/days, information starts become fuzzy in your head.
Let's be nice 🙂👍 there is nothing wrong to ask. At least for me. 🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back