ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Nov 24, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #5,537 of 7,192
After a long wait finally ordered my Caldera! Saved some money over the stabilized sets and ordered the Homage Amp too.

Nabbed a set of thick pads as well. Am excited to give it a listen! Have heard so many good things about the Caldera but never managed to audition a pair

Caldera_BStock_Shopify30_1024x1024@2x.jpg
I was wondering when someone would pick up the Ironwood. It’s got a great vibe to it. Can’t believe it stuck around so long. Congrats!

Nov 24, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #5,538 of 7,192
I was wondering when someone would pick up the Ironwood. It’s got a great vibe to it. Can’t believe it stuck around so long. Congrats!
Thanks! I wanted to wait to see the stabilised run before deciding. But I love the wood grain on these and love the matching colour behind the grills

Nov 24, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #5,539 of 7,192
Nov 24, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #5,540 of 7,192
The infamous Caldera from Beyond the Music. Can't wait to listen!

Attachments

• 96C9A462-9440-4A79-BA27-1E6539C5BED9.png
    96C9A462-9440-4A79-BA27-1E6539C5BED9.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 25, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #5,541 of 7,192
Thanks! I wanted to wait to see the stabilised run before deciding. But I love the wood grain on these and love the matching colour behind the grills
Good choice, ironwood is special. I think, you will love it! :wink:

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #5,542 of 7,192

Good choice, ironwood is special. I think, you will love it! :wink:
Yes, also loving the ironwood. Ordered these VC's during the select stock sale earlier this year. The color, grain and finish comes together so nice.

20230721_135729.jpg

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #5,543 of 7,192
Rearranging the place and I was able to use my wife’s cabinet that perfectly matches the Caldera. Snuck in the cat again.

IMG_1532.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #5,544 of 7,192
Rearranging the place and I was able to use my wife’s cabinet that perfectly matches the Caldera. Snuck in the cat again.

IMG_1532.jpeg
Omg that view tho! :heart_eyes: And I don't JUST mean the headphones and the cat. :wink:

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #5,545 of 7,192
Omg that view tho! :heart_eyes: And I don't JUST mean the headphones and the cat. :wink:
We’re at the edge of downtown San Diego. So that view looks out east towards the mountains and south to Mexico. The other view looks out towards the buildings. We’re just renting, so my time here is limited but I try to enjoy every day I’m here.

My wife bought that cabinet about a year ago and I’ve been eyeing it for my headphone setup ever since. She said as long as she can still store her stuff underneath, I could use in the living room.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #5,546 of 7,192

IMG_1532.jpeg
I am sure it's your cat that sneaks in. After all it's the cat that owns you, not the other way around.

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #5,547 of 7,192
Listening to this on the Caldera with the Decware/ZMF OTL (as pre) + Decware Taboo (as amp), and getting an astounding and magical soundstage and the most beautiful timbre on this track.

This track may be the one of the more extreme examples I've come across of demonstrating how amplificaiton can affect the Caldera's soundstage. The expansion and effect of echoing in a vast chamber made me do a double take. I've tried this on the V281 and Auris Nirvana (which I love for other headphones) and the gap was massive. Even the Aegis, the soundstage monster and a favorite amp for some headphones (and great with the Caldera), fell behind only to this combo.

The Caldera really don't need too much to sound great and don't require too much power either. But they take soooo much of the quality and nature of the chain behind them. That's a testament to great headphones. Something about this combo surpasses them all. ❤️

1700965190892.png

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #5,548 of 7,192
Listening to this on the Caldera with the Decware/ZMF OTL (as pre) + Decware Taboo (as amp), and getting an astounding and magical soundstage and the most beautiful timbre on this track.

This track may be the one of the more extreme examples I've come across of demonstrating how amplificaiton can affect the Caldera's soundstage. The expansion and effect of echoing in a vast chamber made me do a double take. I've tried this on the V281 and Auris Nirvana (which I love for other headphones) and the gap was massive. Even the Aegis, the soundstage monster and a favorite amp for some headphones (and great with the Caldera), fell behind only to this combo.

The Caldera really don't need too much to sound great and don't require too much power either. But they take soooo much of the quality and nature of the chain behind them. That's a testament to great headphones. Something about this combo surpasses them all. ❤️

1700965190892.png
This is one of my favorite albums 😍

Mind sharing what pads and what wood type your caldera is? Been more interested in these aspects lately on how they affect the sound.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #5,549 of 7,192
This is one of my favorite albums 😍

Mind sharing what pads and what wood type your caldera is? Been more interested in these aspects lately on how they affect the sound.
:)
sure!
I have the Kingwood and use the stock Caldera lambskin pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back