Why I think ZMF is the best headphone company in the world.
Nov 15, 2023 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

OnlySoMany

500+ Head-Fier
First, let me start by saying I am not a headphone reviewer. No one has paid me to write any of this, nor would I have done so even if someone was willing to pay me for a story. As you read this, you will probably understand why. I lack the extreme levels of detail, clarity, and use of the English language that reviewers use to suck you into the story and lose you for hours. This is a real story about my meeting Zach and Bevin from ZMF Headphones, and why I have chosen to say that they are the best headphone company in the world, at least to me.

First, a bit of backstory.

I was never really a headphone guy or an audio guy at all. When I try to think back, I believe my very first set of “high-end” headphones was a set of Sennheiser 500-somethings, bought from Microcenter for around $150. To me, this was the best that I had ever heard. I could run it off of a phone, off my computer, and also plug it into my gamepad for playing online. Up until then I never even had a set of headphones except for some random no-name garbage that was a set of small pads on a small wire headband.

To be honest, I don’t remember when I first started pursuing high-end gear. I bought a pair of HD700 and was comparing them to a set of HD800 via reviews online. I bought the 700 instead at the time because they “looked cooler,” and the review process for the next step led me to headfi.

At the time, I was way into building computers and was not looking for another forum to eat up all of my spare time. I was what most would call, a lurker. I would stay up late at night and look at sets of headphones that were absolutely out of reach, many of them well over a thousand, or many thousands of dollars, like “How can they afford to buy those?” Also, I was pursuing a floorstanding setup, and was convinced that would give me what I was looking for. I never thought that a set of headphones would ever be capable of replicating that sense of presence, space, and personality from my music.

I’ll spare you the many steps in between. I have had many pieces of gear that are not listed in my signature. Pretty much every piece of kit that Naim sells, with the exception of the Statement series. Same for Chord. As I moved through my journey, I kept doing research into what worked best for what I wanted to hear, kept some, sold others, and moved on.

Where it all started, my first piece of real hifi!

20210313_201232.jpg

And the second...

20210313_200213.jpg

and moving up in the world!

20210429_202847.jpg

20211028_184450.jpg

Back to headfi for a moment. On my visits to the site, I kept coming across this name called ZMF, and seeing these amazing sets of wooden headphones with a loyal following. Then this guy named Zach kept chiming in, responding to people in threads with details, and information, always willing to help. Kinda neat. Didn’t realize he was the owner until many years later, but that’s another story.

At this point, you are probably bored with this. I get it, we all do the same thing. We start somewhere, buy stuff, sell stuff, and try to get to our individual “endgame” setup. Why should you care, and what does this have to do with ZMF? I’m getting there.

Let’s skip ahead a few years. By this point, I’m starting to understand my own musical preferences, have spent a fair amount on gear, and have acquired a reasonable number of headphones (at this time, less than 10). To say there were no nights I looked at ZEO's videos and his “wall of headphones” with envy would be a lie. I wanted to own as many cool sets as possible and looked forward to the day that I could walk up to a wall of headphones and “choose my own adventure” in the audio world and the songs I loved.

Picture of the wall as it is today.

20231115_141934.jpg

At this time I had not ever owned a set of ZMF headphones. I saw a LTD post come up on Headfi, saw a few of the sets, and one, in particular, made me do a double take. It was a set of African Blackwood Verite Open, with a steel grille and rods. The grille was bright, and the wood was deep and full of character.

Now I am a minimalist, but also an artist by trade. This was the first set of headphones I had ever seen that made me stare at my computer screen. When I looked at them, I started to imagine what it would be like to own a set of cans that nice, and to have them as part of my (admittingly small and inexpensive) collection. It had it all, style and class, wit and sass. I had to have them. The then asking price was steep for me, at about $2600 iirc, and this was the most expensive set I had bought to date, but it didn't matter. I had to have them. I’d figure out how to rationalize it to myself later.

The weeks went by, with me waiting to get the email that my set had shipped. It was painful. But finally, when I had almost forgotten about them, the email arrived. My set was on the way!

20231115_141438.jpg

20231115_141445.jpg

Again, I’m getting there. Just hold on.

A few days later, the set arrives in a smartly packed cardboard box. I opened it up, and there was my set, made for me, in a wooden box lined with velvet. OMG the thrills. Ang my god the fit and finish!! I went to listen to them, and it was everything I wanted. Space, clarity, bass, and just …music! Happy customer.

This was one of the sets that I used to listen to when my father would come over to my house. He was always excited to see what I had acquired since the last time we saw each other, and was always impressed with my audio gear as we grew up fairly poor without much money to go around, especially for stuff like an audiophile habit. I’ll spare you the details, but we were broke.

My father and I were extremely close for most of my childhood. I still remember his set of Kenwoods blaring away records off his Technics record player and Pioneer amp. Almost always rock, blues, or 80s. Life changed, I grew older, moved over an hour away, and the business demanded half of my time. It was around that time that I also started a family, which took the other half.

During this time, he had fallen on hard times and health. He would still come over, but not as much. I could tell that his health was starting to fail, but we didn't talk about it a lot. He just wasn’t that type of guy. During these visits, I would always take him into my listening room, where I would show him the latest gear that I had, and play songs that he liked. I would always put on some Zepplin, Van Halen, or the like. Since he was never in a position to afford such gear, I could see in his face and by what he said that it was impressive, and he was NOT an easy man to impress. I still remember the first time I put it on my last setup, all he said was “Wow”, and this was using that same of Verite I mentioned earlier, just on better kit as it had been many years.

An earlier version he really liked...

20220615_141142.jpg

and later on, one of his favorite setups I had. Also, the Blues Brothers was a movie that him and I used to watch together all the time, as my father loved rock and blues music.

20230622_205304.jpg

About 1 year later, I was working in my office and got a call from a local number. It was the police. At first thought, I quickly thought back through to see if there was anything I had done wrong recently or any parking tickets I forgot to pay. But then they told me that they were at my father's house. They said that a neighbor had called the police after not seeing him for a few days. After the police entered the home, they found my father passed away in his front room. I was devastated. It almost wasn't real.

If anyone has ever dealt with losing a parent, especially one that you were very close to, then you know. I won't go into details, but to this day, it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to deal with. And still is on some days.

Skipping ahead. He left the responsibility to me to figure out the house, and all of its issues, and there were a lot. He lived in a neighborhood that was a bit rough, to say the least. During the time that I had not been up to his house/neighborhood, he had become a hoarder. The sheer amount of stuff that was there cannot be described. It was stuff on top of stuff on top of stuff. And then stuff on top of that. Then when I was not around, some neighborhood punks broke into his house and absolutely wrecked the place. It was a very difficult time for me indeed. Here is an idea of how bad they had trashed it.

20230707_120918.jpg

20230707_121945.jpg

Bit of backstory. My father was an artistic person. Not in the same way as painting, but he was extremely handy and creative. He would build cars, engines, sheet metal, wood, pretty much anything. He could also fix anything. Due to this habit, it was one of the reasons the house was such a disaster. He never threw anything away as his thought was, “I can use that someday” or “That looks interesting, I’ll keep it just because.”

After digging through the mess that was a cluttered life, I came across a piece of wood that my father had been saving. It was a bit of an odd shape and had some interesting lines about it. It reminded me of an old conversation that my father and I had about something that he had wanted to build. He mentioned he had this neat piece of wood he found and said that it would be great to make something out of it. A table, a carving, and that he was going to get to it one day. As it turns out, that day never came.

20230725_101331.jpg

20230725_101337.jpg

20230725_101413.jpg

20230725_101420.jpg

Attachments

• 20231115_141442.jpg
    20231115_141442.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230624_122835.jpg
    20230624_122835.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230624_122841.jpg
    20230624_122841.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220916_164638.jpg
    20220916_164638.jpg
    999.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230725_101331.jpg
    20230725_101331.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230725_101337.jpg
    20230725_101337.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231013_134615.jpg
    20231013_134615.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • img_4065.jpg
    img_4065.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 0957deeefca4399420c8051f87b41f4d.jpg
    0957deeefca4399420c8051f87b41f4d.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 0
  • il_570xN.2798927008_d1hg.jpg
    il_570xN.2798927008_d1hg.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 54
Skip ahead a few months.

Life was becoming busy, and I felt like I was in a bit of a rut. Many of my nights were spent trying to occupy my mind and not think about work, or what had been happening in my life. Not that I was self-pitying, just that it was a bit much, and I tend not to think of myself as often as I should. I imagine that is what most mean by self-care. I saw that there was a headphone show coming up, and I figured, what the hell? Time for a mini vacation? I hadn't been on one in years, so I was able to justify it to myself. On the other hand, convincing my Fiance to go to a “headphone show” was a bit of a task. But I have been in sales for many years so it didn't take that long (“just think of all the cool restaurants we can eat at baby!”)

My main reason for going was to demo the Caldera, and even possibly meet Zach, this random person I had seen in the forums and YouTube. Seemed like a cool guy, and it would give me a chance to nerd out with a fellow enthusiast, talk tube amps, etc. I grabbed some tickets, we packed up, hopped in the truck, and were on the way.

We get to the show, and it's epic. All of the gear that I had lusted after is here, everyone is excited, and the event has a buzz to it. I sit down at a few tables, try some very good gear, and then I see it. Over in the corner, the ZMF room. I walk by it a few times just because I am working up the courage to go in. At this point, I am a pretty big fan of their stuff, and own multiple sets, but don't want to come off like a fanboy.

FAF3645E-C8FC-4A1A-90BE-D0E301A4FD47.jpeg

I eventually get over myself, say screw it and go in. I instantly feel like one of those kids in the original Willy Wonka movie when he first opens the door to the mixing room and candy factory. So much cool gear, so many amps/dacs, all the ones you read about and see in the videos, and SO MANY cool headphones, all in different colors and woods. Oh yeah 😀

After I dabbled about a bit, I finally got the nerve to go talk to the big guy himself. He and Bevin were over in the corner talking about something and I didn’t originally want to barge in. But I did have questions about a Caldera so….. Here I go. To be honest, I don't even remember what I said, but I can say that any perceived notion I had about meeting Zach was instantly washed away. He was so down to earth, calm, polite, cool, and almost seemed nervous that he wasn't sure if people would like the Caldera. I was like, is this the same guy who has no idea of all the people who absolutely love what he creates? That rave over the art, the sound, the dedication to improve, and the service? Who has entire threads about how great the product is and are so happy to show off what they bought and received? This guy?!

IMG_20230624_124004.jpg

So anyway, we get to talking, and I ended up leaving with 2 Calderas, as I couldn’t put either of them down. As I was leaving, I remembered that he makes custom wood headphones and that I have this neat piece of wood that was my father's, and I have no idea what I should do with it. But wouldn't it be cool as a keepsake or memento since he wanted to make something cool out of it, but unfortunately never had the chance? He said yeah, it might be possible, and then we said goodbyes, and I went back home, Caldera (x2) in tow, happy as could be. It wasn't really thought of again for a while.

I was emailing Zach about another set and remembered our conversation that was had at the event. I sent him a few pictures of the piece, and asked what was possible. I’ll spare you the series of emails (it was a LOT!) and eventually I mailed him the piece of wood. Zach stated during this email exchange that he had been thinking of starting a custom program, but wasn't ready to do so yet. But that this could be a neat way to test the idea and the process.

I also sent a few examples of what I wanted them to look like. Teal/torquoise was one of my father's favorite colors, and I wanted something that would be special but also artistic. I remember seeing a bunch of neat resin tables online, so I sent Zach these as an example:

Hf26193ff443a40e49b21a25439a67843F.jpg

Now, I know that this is the headphone guy, but I have to admit that I was a bit nervous. What is the wood turns out really ugly? What if the wood just explodes on the drill/lathe/CNC machine? What if it turns to dust when they try to machine it? A lot was going through my head, but eventually I calmed down and just had to trust the people I sent it to. After all, if anyone could make it right, it had to be ZMF. I am sure that my piece was not the worst they had ever worked with.

I’ll keep this short. Here is what I sent them, and here is what I received in return.

20231013_134648.jpg

20231018_093555 (1).jpg

20231018_093535.jpg

20231113_103950.jpg

20231113_103955.jpg

20231113_104028.jpg

20231113_104627.jpg

20231113_104637.jpg

20231113_104648.jpg

In conclusion, this public testimonial serves as an expression of heartfelt gratitude for transforming a seemingly worthless, sentimental artifact into a living testament to my father's legacy.

20230423_181230.jpg

I made this post as a way of publicly saying thank you to Zach, Bevin, and the ZMF team. This was such a wonderful experience, and it means the world to me that a company as successful and busy as ZMF would even take a moment to make something so special and dear to my heart.

Seriously, thank you. @zach915m

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 54
Skip ahead a few months.

Life was becoming busy, and I felt like I was in a bit of a rut. Many of my nights were spent trying to occupy my mind and not think about work, or what had been happening in my life. Not that I was self-pitying, just that it was a bit much, and I tend not to think of myself as often as I should. I imagine that is what most mean by self-care. I saw that there was a headphone show coming up, and I figured, what the hell? Time for a mini vacation? I hadn't been on one in years, so I was able to justify it to myself. On the other hand, convincing my Fiance to go to a “headphone show” was a bit of a task. But I have been in sales for many years so it didn't take that long (“just think of all the cool restaurants we can eat at baby!”)

My main reason for going was to demo the Caldera, and even possibly meet Zach, this random person I had seen in the forums and YouTube. Seemed like a cool guy, and it would give me a chance to nerd out with a fellow enthusiast, talk tube amps, etc. I grabbed some tickets, we packed up, hopped in the truck, and were on the way.

We get to the show, and it's epic. All of the gear that I had lusted after is here, everyone is excited, and the event has a buzz to it. I sit down at a few tables, try some very good gear, and then I see it. Over in the corner, the ZMF room. I walk by it a few times just because I am working up the courage to go in. At this point, I am a pretty big fan of their stuff, and own multiple sets, but don't want to come off like a fanboy.

I eventually get over myself, say screw it and go in. I instantly feel like one of those kids in the original Willy Wonka movie when he first opens the door to the mixing room and candy factory. So much cool gear, so many amps/dacs, all the ones you read about and see in the videos, and SO MANY cool headphones, all in different colors and woods. Oh yeah 😀

After I dabbled about a bit, I finally got the nerve to go talk to the big guy himself. He and Bevin were over in the corner talking about something and I didn’t originally want to barge in. But I did have questions about a Caldera so….. Here I go. To be honest, I don't even remember what I said, but I can say that any perceived notion I had about meeting Zach was instantly washed away. He was so down to earth, calm, polite, cool, and almost seemed nervous that he wasn't sure if people would like the Caldera. I was like, is this the same guy who has no idea of all the people who absolutely love what he creates? That rave over the art, the sound, the dedication to improve, and the service? Who has entire threads about how great the product is and are so happy to show off what they bought and received? This guy?!

IMG_20230624_124004.jpg

So anyway, we get to talking, and I ended up leaving with 2 Calderas, as I couldn’t put either of them down. As I was leaving, I remembered that he makes custom wood headphones and that I have this neat piece of wood that was my father's, and I have no idea what I should do with it. But wouldn't it be cool as a keepsake or memento since he wanted to make something cool out of it, but unfortunately never had the chance? He said yeah, it might be possible, and then we said goodbyes, and I went back home, Caldera (x2) in tow, happy as could be. It wasn't really thought of again for a while.

I was emailing Zach about another set and remembered our conversation that was had at the event. I sent him a few pictures of the piece, and asked what was possible. I’ll spare you the series of emails (it was a LOT!) and eventually I mailed him the piece of wood. Zach stated during this email exchange that he had been thinking of starting a custom program, but wasn't ready to do so yet. But that this could be a neat way to test the idea and the process.

I also sent a few examples of what I wanted them to look like. Teal/torquoise was one of my father's favorite colors, and I wanted something that would be special but also artistic. I remember seeing a bunch of neat resin tables online, so I sent Zach these as an example:

Now, I know that this is the headphone guy, but I have to admit that I was a bit nervous. What is the wood turns out really ugly? What if the wood just explodes on the drill/lathe/CNC machine? What if it turns to dust when they try to machine it? A lot was going through my head, but eventually I calmed down and just had to trust the people I sent it to. After all, if anyone could make it right, it had to be ZMF. I am sure that my piece was not the worst they had ever worked with.

I’ll keep this short. Here is what I sent them, and here is what I received in return.

20231013_134648.jpg

20231018_093555 (1).jpg

20231018_093535.jpg

20231113_103950.jpg

20231113_103955.jpg

20231113_104028.jpg

20231113_104627.jpg

20231113_104637.jpg

20231113_104648.jpg

In conclusion, this public testimonial serves as an expression of heartfelt gratitude for transforming a seemingly worthless, sentimental artifact into a living testament to my father's legacy.

20230423_181230.jpg

I made this post as a way of publicly saying thank you to Zach, Bevin, and the ZMF team. This was such a wonderful experience, and it means the world to me that a company as successful and busy as ZMF would even take a moment to make something so special and dear to my heart.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a heartfelt tribute to both your father and the amazing team at ZMF. Just met Zach and Bevin last weekend at CanJam Dallas and they were every bit as nice and down to earth as you describe. In fact, your name came up while I was in the room, but I honestly don't remember the context - I think Zach was talking about a particular amp that you had something to do with. Those headphones made from your father's piece of wood look astounding. Zach goes above and beyond (again)!

Nov 15, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 54
Thank you for taking the time to write such a heartfelt tribute to both your father and the amazing team at ZMF. Just met Zach and Bevin last weekend at CanJam Dallas and they were every bit as nice and down to earth as you describe. In fact, your name came up while I was in the room, but I honestly don't remember the context - I think Zach was talking about a particular amp that you had something to do with. Those headphones made from your father's piece of wood look astounding. Zach goes above and beyond (again)!
It was the least I could do. I still can't believe that a company like ZMF would go through all that work just to help me make this a reality, especially when they were planning for ZMF November, and entering one of their most busy seasons. He never failed to email me, update me with pictures, or throughout the process.

I don't have the words. And also, look at the end result. They turned out better than I could have ever imagined, absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 54
This was a great read! I can't imagine a more personal or meaningful headphone and they obviously turned out beautifully.

I also met Zach and Bevin at CanJam Chicago this year, and although I only spoke with them for a few minutes they were incredibly kind. I mentioned to Zach that I'd love an Atticus in a limited or stabilized wood if they had one, and just as you did we ended up having a long email exchange where he was very willing to find out what woods they could make a custom Atticus out of. I hadn't known there was going to be the first ever stabilized Atticus release for ZMF November this year so once I found out I ended up going with one of the already-made stabilized sets, but it really goes to show how amazing Zach and ZMF are and the lengths they'll go to to ensure their customers are as happy as possible with their purchases. The most beautiful headphones on the planet and the best ownership experience in the headphone world for sure!

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 54
That's an amazing story and the headphones turned out great. I am sure that your father would appreciate that you finally found the right project for that piece of wood.

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 54
@OnlySoMany

That is an insane story and project! The end result was something very beautiful and personal!

This reminds me of the times I have went on hiking trips and walked past random burled chunks from the trees that have fallen off and imagining Calderas being made out of them!

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 54
Thank you all for your kind comments. It would not have been possible without Zach, Bevin and team. Again, I've never heard of any business doing something like this, especially without them being a VIP or anything like that. It really does speak to how they run their business, and I wish them the most amazing success.

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 54
Skip ahead a few months.

IMG_20230624_124004.jpg

20231013_134648.jpg

20231018_093555 (1).jpg

20231018_093535.jpg

20231113_103950.jpg

20231113_103955.jpg

20231113_104028.jpg

20231113_104627.jpg

20231113_104637.jpg

20231113_104648.jpg

20230423_181230.jpg

What a wonderful story and a truly heartwarming result and tribute to your father.

Yet another reason why we love Zach, Bevin, and the ZMF crew. ❤️:headphones:

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 54
Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Those sets from the wood look amazing!
What a fantastic read! They are truly the best at ZMF. Your post is a testament to the hearts they have.

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 54
I don't always agree with Zach's headphone sound choices, but he is the best headphone maker that i can think of in the industry. I wish every headphone maker was like him. His interactions with the community are to be heavily commended. :beerchug:

Nov 15, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 54
That's amazing, thanks for sharing! My favorite is the Caldera.

Your experience is unique, but similar to how I feel about Zach and everyone else at ZMF. I recently had a really cool experience with Zach with a stabilized Caldera that was being sold in Indonesia that I really wanted that I'll have to share sometime, too.

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 54
Thank you for sharing and I agree whole-heartedly on the great service and professionalism of Zach and the ZMF Team. My wife and I went to our first CanJam this past Feb in NYC and it was a pleasure to meet them. I wasn't expecting to talk with Zach because of how hard they were working however toward the end of the day he came out of the exhibit hall for a break and we chatted a bit. I was beaming with pride to show him my early edition cherry Atrium Opens I brought with me and it was the highlight of CanJam for me to thank him personally for the attention he provides customers.

Your story of your dad reminded me of when my brother and I recovered a large piece of pecky cypress wood my dad stored away in a barn. He intended to make a fireplace mantlepiece with it before he passed but time and health issues caught up with him before he could. My brother is very crafty with amazing carpentry and welding skills. He moved into our parent's home after their passing, did incredible renovation work, and installed the cypress as a nice mantlepiece.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 54
What a great post! I think this is one of my all time favorite posts on this site. And let's be honest, that collection is the stuff that dreams are made of!

It's nice to find a company that's deep down just nice people. Big enough to provide all of us with great sound, yet small enough to do things like this and talk to us at canjams and share passion about great sound. Absolutely true, just the best headphone company (and people) you could hope to find.

If only he could make me stop spending all my money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back