ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Nov 25, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #5,551 of 7,384
:)
sure!
I have the Kingwood and use the stock Caldera lambskin pads
Thank you! 🙂 Kingwood... that's what I thought you had! I know that's a harder wood - do you feel it affects the decay at all versus a softer wood? Of course, I could be reading way too much into the hard wood vs, soft wood differences - I know they're supposed to affect closed backs more, ultimately.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #5,552 of 7,384
Thank you! 🙂 Kingwood... that's what I thought you had! I know that's a harder wood - do you feel it affects the decay at all versus a softer wood? Of course, I could be reading way too much into the hard wood vs, soft wood differences - I know they're supposed to affect closed backs more, ultimately.

Honestly, I haven't listened extensively to any other Caldera wood, beyond some spontaneous samplings at CanJams here and there. Since I got the Kingwood, I've been happy with them and (starngely) lacked much desire to look further. They are quite weighty (slightly above 600g) but comfortable. As far as superficial wood impressions go, my brief impressions were that Caldera were less impacted by wood than the dynamic ZMF models (from which, I think the AC is most impacted by wood choice).

I did find a big difference with pad rolling when I originally tested those and loved the stock pads from the get go and. After more than a year, (strangely again) I haven't had the itch to revisit my choice. At some point, I should probbaly pad roll again. But I'm too busy listening to music for the moment... :ksc75smile:

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #5,553 of 7,384
Honestly, I haven't listened extensively to any other Caldera wood, beyond some spontaneous samplings at CanJams here and there. Since I got the Kingwood, I've been happy with them and (starngely) lacked much desire to look further. They are quite weighty (slightly above 600g) but comfortable. As far as superficial wood impressions go, my brief impressions were that Caldera were less impacted by wood than the dynamic ZMF models (from which, I think the AC is most impacted by wood choice).

I did find a big difference with pad rolling when I originally tested those and loved the stock pads from the get go and. After more than a year, (strangely again) I haven't had the itch to revisit my choice. At some point, I should probbaly pad roll again. But I'm too busy listening to music for the moment... :ksc75smile:
That all is consistent from what I've heard/read lately, nice. I got a stabilized Caldera and both a Walnut AC and a stabilized AC during this ZMF November, so I'm looking forward to taking the time to give those all a listen when they arrive.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #5,554 of 7,384

1700970906548.png

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #5,555 of 7,384
I've much listened to this song when I was in university due to my broken heart but I've NEVER heard this song being presented this grandiose before. Experience put tears in my eyes making me remember those days. How Caldera, how??

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #5,556 of 7,384
I've much listened to this song when I was in university due to my broken heart but I've NEVER heard this song being presented this grandiose before. Experience put tears in my eyes making me remember those days. How Caldera, how??

Love me a good remaster of a classic album. Hope they do Whoracle next!

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #5,557 of 7,384
Pulled the trigger on a Caldera last night. They come with the Lambskin Stock and Caldera Suede. I was going to add a BBB strap so I gotta place an order through ZMF anyway. Am I missing any pads that I should have for the Caldera beside the two stock?

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #5,558 of 7,384
Pulled the trigger on a Caldera last night. They come with the Lambskin Stock and Caldera Suede. I was going to add a BBB strap so I gotta place an order through ZMF anyway. Am I missing any pads that I should have for the Caldera beside the two stock?
Normally current batch ZMF come with BBB strap by default. I highly advise to get Caldera thick pads, which proven to be a significant upgrade over stock pads for many.

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #5,559 of 7,384
The infamous Caldera from Beyond the Music. Can't wait to listen!
That is a stunning headphone.

And given that the Caldera's sound itself is stunning, you may be looking at being sidelined per concussion protocols...

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #5,560 of 7,384
My favorite pads are the lambskin thicks. Never take them off my Caldera.

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #5,561 of 7,384
What cables are people finding to pair best with the Caldera? I probably won't be investing in one anytime soon but will eventually be considering cables from the following brands and would like some opinions from people that can/have compared some:

- ZMF
- Forza
- Arctic
- Norne
- Meze

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #5,562 of 7,384
What cables are people finding to pair best with the Caldera? I probably won't be investing in one anytime soon but will eventually be considering cables from the following brands and would like some opinions from people that can/have compared some:

- ZMF
- Forza
- Arctic
- Norne
- Meze
Another brand to look at is Hart Audio - hartaudiocables.com

I've heard good things about them, just like the others you listed

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #5,563 of 7,384

- ZMF
- Forza
- Arctic
- Norne
- Meze
I personally can’t speak highly enough about Trevor at Norne. His service and expertise is second to none. Meze makes a great cable as well.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #5,564 of 7,384

- ZMF
- Forza
- Arctic
- Norne
- Meze

I use the ZMF Verite Silver and like it very much.

(I haven't had a chance to try the new ZMF palladium cable)

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #5,565 of 7,384

- ZMF
- Forza
- Arctic
- Norne
- Meze
ZMF - I don't use them, but then again, I don't upgrade stock cables with cables from the same brand. I know there are quite a few folks who like them.
Forza - No experience with them
Arctic - Ditto
Norne - Top-Notch stuff! I really like Norne's cables for sound aesthetics, and build quality.
Meze - I have some of their silver stuff and do like them, but I prefer them on my Mezes

Having said all that, here are a few others to look at:

Audiophile Ninja - IMO BEST VALUE in upgraded cables. No-nonsense, simple designs (you can have it in any color as long as it's black), very well built, and sound great.
Tara Labs - Yes, I know, it's WAY out of most's price range, but I've yet to hear a better cable. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back