ZMF Caldera Closed
Mar 20, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #151 of 289
Absolutely getting this one

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #152 of 289
No, not an accident.

It's no Prius when it comes to miles per gallon, but I don't care. It is so much fun to drive, like a ZMF.

The ZMF X McLaren F1 Edition CC?
Screen Shot 2024-03-20 at 10.24.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-20 at 10.30.59 AM.png

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #153 of 289
This thread is taking on the vibe of a giant bounce castle with individual nitrous oxide stations for "inner child replenishment."

ie, much like the "Show me your Head-Fi station... ," but with a soon-to-launched TOTL ZMF headphone looming over the proceedings.

(now pls excuse me -- I have to adjust my N₂O regulator)

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #154 of 289
This thread is taking on the vibe of a giant bounce castle with individual nitrous oxide stations for "inner child replenishment."

ie, much like the "Show me your Head-Fi station... ," but with a soon-to-launched TOTL ZMF headphone looming over the proceedings.

(now pls excuse me -- I have to adjust my N₂O regulator)
How do you know these things? You’ve got a bolt through your neck to hold your head in place. Have you ever looked in a mirror? Go carefully now…….

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #155 of 289
How do you know these things? You’ve got a bolt through your neck to hold your head in place. Have you ever looked in a mirror? Go carefully now…….
Correction: The head is firmly sown to the neck & torso. The bolts are strictly for as-needed "touch-up reanimation."

(but thanks for noticing)

I know about bounce castles because I see them all the time. I know about N₂O because I've had a ridiculous amt of heavy dental work for decades--and had maximum N₂O throughout (it really did help). I've also done N₂O recreationally/informally in circumstances that are probably better not discussed.

In spite of all this--or maybe because of all this--ZMF headphones continue to rock my world. I was very impressed by the CC at CanJam. Even though I don't normally do well with closed headphones, I hope to hear that one IMS someday soon. Two of my objectives in doing that would be to compare the CC to Caldera Open, which is simply the best open-back planar I've ever heard (I've heard/owned a number); and to compare the CC to my beloved ZMF Ori, the headphone that got me started in this hobby & taught me how planar sound was different from dynamic sound, and wonderful in its own way.

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #156 of 289
The ZMF X McLaren F1 Edition CC?
Screen Shot 2024-03-20 at 10.24.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-20 at 10.30.59 AM.png

That's definitely not a very effective way to wear hearing protection (or headphones for that matter).

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #157 of 289
Temporarily exiting lurking

I went to CanJam NYC to listen to some amps as I'm considering getting a new one. I popped into the ZMF booth to try the Caldera Closed. Full disclosure I don't like planar headphones. They just don't agree with me. I also own far too many ZMFs. I listened to them for an hour. Said to myself SH!T I will own yet another ZMF.

Back to lurking

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #158 of 289
Time for me to come out of reviewing retirement. The CC is too intriguing to not!

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #159 of 289
Temporarily exiting lurking

I went to CanJam NYC to listen to some amps as I'm considering getting a new one. I popped into the ZMF booth to try the Caldera Closed. Full disclosure I don't like planar headphones. They just don't agree with me. I also own far too many ZMFs. I listened to them for an hour. Said to myself SH!T I will own yet another ZMF.

Back to lurking
Do you care to explain what it is you normally don’t like about planars?

Besides the Caldera open, I only owned the DCA Expanse and they had completely different sound profile. I don’t have a clear grasp of what planers normally sound like. I got to hear the Susvara at CanJam and didn’t care for it except on one setup. It lacked bass impact on most setups. I’ve also heard the DCA Stealth at CanJam and it just lacked overall dynamics. The Caldera open sounded pretty great across many setups and reminds me of a warmer Focal Utopia. Punchy, dynamic, and fun.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #161 of 289
Do you care to explain what it is you normally don’t like about planars?

Besides the Caldera open, I only owned the DCA Expanse and they had completely different sound profile. I don’t have a clear grasp of what planers normally sound like. I got to hear the Susvara at CanJam and didn’t care for it except on one setup. It lacked bass impact on most setups. I’ve also heard the DCA Stealth at CanJam and it just lacked overall dynamics. The Caldera open sounded pretty great across many setups and reminds me of a warmer Focal Utopia. Punchy, dynamic, and fun.

Of course. There are two things actually that I suspect are the reason. The first is that the timbre sounds unnatural to me, second issue is on at least the ones I've tried (Audeze Stuff, Ethers, various Hifiman) the higher frequencies don't sound smooth to me. That combination after about 30ish minutes of listening will usually give me a headache.

I listened to the Caldera Open last year didn't seem to have the same problem.

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #162 of 289
This fellow better get new tires, look how bald they are!!
In F1 you want bald tires in dry conditions to max out surface contact, grip and increased speed. Of course, if an F1 course is wet they will switch to treaded tires. There is so much planning that goes into choosing tires in an F1 race. Soft, medium, hard, full wets, grooved. Before a race weekend a race team has to choose 10 sets of tires, and you have to choose carefully depending on the track and track conditions. If you don't read the weather report and there is a rainstorm during the race, and your team didn't choose full wets your kinda screwed.

I know off topic, but the CCs aren't coming out for a month or two so, why not talk about fast cars along with fast planars.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #163 of 289
Mar 22, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #164 of 289
In F1 you want bald tires in dry conditions to max out surface contact, grip and increased speed. Of course, if an F1 course is wet they will switch to treaded tires. There is so much planning that goes into choosing tires in an F1 race. Soft, medium, hard, full wets, grooved. Before a race weekend a race team has to choose 10 sets of tires, and you have to choose carefully depending on the track and track conditions. If you don't read the weather report and there is a rainstorm during the race, and your team didn't choose full wets your kinda screwed.

I know off topic, but the CCs aren't coming out for a month or two so, why not talk about fast cars along with fast planars.
Correction for F1 fans. The choices teams have to make at each weekend are for the different compounds of the ‘slick’ tyres, with one mandatory choice that all teams have to run and then one of the other hard, medium or soft compounds. The intermediate and wet weather tyres are not part of the choices, these are always available to be used in case of wet weather, for safety reasons.

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #165 of 289

:rolling_eyes: Sarcasm deprived. I was injecting my two cents of levity since the thread has gone way of topic due to lack of further info regards the CC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back