ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Mar 4, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #1,726 of 2,341
Are you using the Bokeh or IEMs? I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max and the RU7 with the Bokeh is lacking volume and detail compared to running it through the Mac and using Audirvana which removes the power limitation. Hence, why I ordered the iBasso CB19. Using IEMs with the RU7 is fine on the iPhone.
Bokeh. Haven't really noticed a difference. Could be my ears though :sweat_smile:

I listen on high gain and volume at 45 is usually loud enough for me. Using DSD256

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #1,727 of 2,341
Bokeh. Haven't really noticed a difference. Could be my ears though :sweat_smile:
Interesting...I have to crank up the volume on the RU7 when using the iPhone and even then the soundstage is muted - the iBasso and power bank should solve that problem. What software are you using on the Mac?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #1,728 of 2,341
Interesting...I have to crank up the volume on the RU7 when using the iPhone and even then the soundstage is muted - the iBasso and power bank should solve that problem. What software are you using on the Mac?
I listen on high gain and volume at 45 is usually loud enough for me. Using DSD256

On Mac, iPad, iPhone I use the Tidal app

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #1,729 of 2,341
One thing that's really impressing me with the Bokeh that I haven't commented on much is the ability to scale. I'm mostly using them at work with a Tuba amplifier. Great amp, great sound. Spent a few hours this morning listening at home on my Stratus and immediately noticed the upgraded sound over the Tuba. I actually thought for a second I had my AC on, not the Bokeh. Everything just sounded bigger, more detailed yet smoother, richer, and more spacious. I had gotten so used to the Tuba sound it was quite surprising just how much the Bokeh changed on the Stratus. Roll amps with this baby, you'll be well rewarded.

That's good to know. So far, I've only been using these with a $150 Fiio KA17 dongle DAC and even then I can't believe how great the sound is. Of course I'm planning on using a more advanced amp at some point, so it's good to know I'll be able to get even more out of them then.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #1,730 of 2,341
Are you using the Bokeh or IEMs? I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max and the RU7 with the Bokeh is lacking volume and detail compared to running it through the Mac and using Audirvana which removes the power limitation. Hence, why I ordered the iBasso CB19. Using IEMs with the RU7 is fine on the iPhone.
The iPhone 15 Pro Max is using USB 3 and that can output up to max 900mA, but from what I've read the cable that comes bundled with the iPhone is a USB 2 cable. With the included cable you will get up to 500mA max.

The cable could be the reason there is difference in sound the two of you are hearing. If you are using a USB 2 cable, then you are getting that max 500mA.

That's the confusing thing for a lot of folks when it comes to USB-C cables. Just because it has the USB-C connection does not mean it's a USB 3 or 4/Thunderbolt cable.

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #1,731 of 2,341
The iPhone 15 Pro Max is using USB 3 and that can output up to max 900mA, but from what I've read the cable that comes bundled with the iPhone is a USB 2 cable. With the included cable you will get up to 500mA max.

The cable could be the reason there is difference in sound the two of you are hearing. If you are using a USB 2 cable, then you are getting that max 500mA.

That's the confusing thing for a lot of folks when it comes to USB-C cables. Just because it has the USB-C connection does not mean it's a USB 3 or 4/Thunderbolt cable.
Thats highly possible. I'm using my RU7 with a ddhifi tc07s cable.

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #1,732 of 2,341
Thats highly possible. I'm using my RU7 with a ddhifi tc07s cable.
Looking at the specs it's a USB-C OTG cable. Meaning it can handle data as well as fast charging, so it can handle anything from 18w to 100w of power.

At that point the only limitation is software. How much of that 900mA is the mobile OS going to let you use when you plug a device in.

Mar 4, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #1,733 of 2,341
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #1,734 of 2,341
I am also using the RU7 with the ddhifi tc07s cable.
Assuming there is no physical issue with the iPhone or cable, then it comes down to personal preference. Maybe you just listen at different preferred sound levels.

If you and mattiastomas want to dig deeper you can use the same sound meter app and measure the db at the same volume settings making sure you have the same settings on the RU7 and playing the same track.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #1,735 of 2,341
Assuming there is no physical issue with the iPhone or cable, then it comes down to personal preference. Maybe you just listen at different preferred sound levels.

If you and mattiastomas want to dig deeper you can use the same sound meter app and measure the db at the same volume settings making sure you have the same settings on the RU7 and playing the same track.
That is interesting. What I do find is that the Bokeh requires far more power than my IEMs which I can play at a much lower volume on the RU7 - that is why I think it is a power issue for me. The Meze 109Pros fall in between the Bokeh and IEM volume level wise.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #1,736 of 2,341
That is interesting. What I do find is that the Bokeh requires far more power than my IEMs which I can play at a much lower volume on the RU7 - that is why I think it is a power issue for me. The Meze 109Pros fall in between the Bokeh and IEM volume level wise.
I don't think you can compare the two apples to apples. Even though the Bokeh is easy to drive it's still an over ear headphone. IEMs will still give you more isolation than a closed back because you are sticking them right into your ear canal and you are bypassing much of the physical ear anatomy that an over ear does not.

Andrew goes into detail on the difference between IEMs and over ears in the latest Headphone Show YT channel video. He goes into detail how bypassing much of the ear anatomy affects perception of sound from volume to frequency response. It's a very good watch.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #1,737 of 2,341
Got a brief listen to Bokeh today. It sound as what I imagine actually. Balance-warm character, rounded woody notes, smooth treble, punchy and fun bass presentation with full body and organic Vocality. What surprised me was how good the soundstage depth on this headphone. The imaging quality is hard to beat, even against open back headphone in this price range.

p.s: Definitely paired great with Homage!

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #1,738 of 2,341
I´ve been very reluctant to get the RU7 because it will be connected to my iPhone 13 mini and my old Ipad, both using lightning connection. I had the ru6 in the past which was nice, without issues with the Iphone, but the RU7 is more demanding and also I was not using the Bokeh, also more demanding than the IEM´s I used with the RU6.

I wonder how could I connect the Iphone to the RU7 and a Powerbank. I wonder if a Lightning to Usb-c adapter would allow mw to use the Ibasso CB19 cable without any SQ loss and giving the RU7 the juice it needs in order to shine with the Bokeh.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #1,739 of 2,341
I´ve been very reluctant to get the RU7 because it will be connected to my iPhone 13 mini and my old Ipad, both using lightning connection. I had the ru6 in the past which was nice, without issues with the Iphone, but the RU7 is more demanding and also I was not using the Bokeh, also more demanding than the IEM´s I used with the RU6.

I wonder how could I connect the Iphone to the RU7 and a Powerbank. I wonder if a Lightning to Usb-c adapter would allow mw to use the Ibasso CB19 cable without any SQ loss and giving the RU7 the juice it needs in order to shine with the Bokeh.

Cheers.

Cheers.
I’ve seen some recommend this for lightning with power - DD ddHiFi TC28i Pro Lightning to dual Type-C Power Adapter

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #1,740 of 2,341
Would love to take a vote on which mesh/ pad combo peeps are finding the best for their beloved Bokeh.........

I am using the vented mesh with hybrid pads at the moment. Might switch to the protein pads to add a hint of warmth and low end boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back