ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Mar 8, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #1,756 of 2,369
Borrowed a friend's iFi XDSD Gryphon. I am currently feeding it line in from my Cayin RU7's LO, and the Bokeh is singing very nicely. :grin:

Listening to some Charlie Hunter right now and loving it!

This seems like a really good portable setup for the Bokeh so far.

More to come. . .

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #1,757 of 2,369
Borrowed a friend's iFi XDSD Gryphon. I am currently feeding it LO from my Cayin RU7, and the Bokeh is singing very nicely. :grin:

More to come. . .
Wes, while you’ve got it, try the Gryphon alone vs. with the RU7. That would be a worthy comparison and may illuminate what the RU7 is bringing to the table

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #1,758 of 2,369
Borrowed a friend's iFi XDSD Gryphon. I am currently feeding it LO from my Cayin RU7, and the Bokeh is singing very nicely. :grin:

More to come. . .
Ok, I just had a little more time with this, and I am completely blown away. This combo freaking rocks, and the Bokeh sounds as good as I have ever heard it. I may even prefer this combo to my HA300MK2. :astonished: Time will tell on that one, as I need more time to compare, but as it stands right now, I know I will be buying my own Gryphon eventually.

1000004752.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #1,759 of 2,369
Wes, while you’ve got it, try the Gryphon alone vs. with the RU7. That would be a worthy comparison and may illuminate what the RU7 is bringing to the table
I plan to do just that later today when I get home from work, and will report back.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #1,760 of 2,369
Ok, I just had a little more time with this, and I am completely blown away. This combo freaking rocks, and the Bokeh sounds as good as I have ever heard it. I may even prefer this combo to my HA300MK2. :astonished: Time will tell on that one, as I need more time to compare, but as it stands right now, I know I will be buying my own Gryphon eventually.

1000004752.jpg
You’ve got me very interested in the gryphon!! I have the Ifi go blu for portable setup and I’ve always liked it but it definitely lacks something. It gets way loud enough but despite the bass feature, there just not enough. I want Bluetooth to take away on holidays so I’m guessing this would be a massive step up for me around bass, general sound quality etc? Tia!

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #1,761 of 2,369
I plan to do just that later today when I get home from work, and will report back.
I am curious about this as well and would expect that the ifi alone should be as good.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #1,764 of 2,369
Mar 8, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #1,765 of 2,369
You’ve got me very interested in the gryphon!! I have the Ifi go blu for portable setup and I’ve always liked it but it definitely lacks something. It gets way loud enough but despite the bass feature, there just not enough. I want Bluetooth to take away on holidays so I’m guessing this would be a massive step up for me around bass, general sound quality etc? Tia!
Using the Gryphon with the XBass II on, the bass is very very satisfying for this basshead. :grin: It rivals the bass I get using my HA300MK2, and that's saying a lot.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #1,766 of 2,369
Using the Gryphon with the XBass II on, the bass is very very satisfying for this basshead. :grin: It rivals the bass I get using my HA300MK2, and that's saying a lot.
Thank you. This or the xduoo balanced 2 are on my radar now!!! It will be a huge step up from my Ifi GoBlu

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #1,767 of 2,369
Bokeh arrived today! Ordered in December.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #1,768 of 2,369
Mar 8, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #1,769 of 2,369
For what's it worth, the suede pads to me sound almost identical to the hybrid. The graphs indicate there's effectively no difference between them in the lows and mids, and the difference is in a few areas of the highs. Maybe I can hear a difference in treble response, but I might go so far as to say that the difference between hybrid and suede is smaller than the difference between the two meshes (which I guess makes sense because it's the pad's inner material that will most affect the sound). The suede pads have an impressive seal and unlike, say, the NightOwl, they don't result in a small loss of isolation as often happens with suede pads. I think part of the problem in telling the difference between these combinations is that the overall Bokeh sound is just so good that none of these make much difference to me personally. Listening to Suede + Burst right now and it sounds just as amazing as the other combinations I like, what can I say? The main difference is going to be between the protein pads and the hybrid or suede, as the protein pads really elevate the lows in a noticeable way (to me, they make the bass a bit too much).

I will say, though, that the suede pads seem to be about 10% or so smaller than the other two pads, making them very difficult to put on. I got them on using my patented method, but my fingers are quite sore now :sweat: Given that, I'd say the suede are probably not worth the effort (just go with the hybrid), but YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back