ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Mar 8, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #1,771 of 2,384
Very cool looking amp, what is that? Love the look. Nice Bokeh too.
I was wondering the same thing about the amp?
Neurochrome HP-1. Still the most transparent/neutral/reference headamps I've come across.
Perfect as a palette cleanser after more fun and colored amps.

I guess only around fifty HP-1's were ever made/sold..?

One of the perks of building it yourself is the ability to customize... :)
1709941309482.jpeg
1709941295414.jpeg
1709940156777.jpeg

Mar 9, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #1,772 of 2,384
My Bokeh shipped out Thursday with expected delivery Monday. It's out for delivery today!! Woo!!! Hopefully I will have my pair in my hands within a few hours. What a great weekend surprise :D

Mar 9, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #1,773 of 2,384
My Bokeh shipped out Thursday with expected delivery Monday. It's out for delivery today!! Woo!!! Hopefully I will have my pair in my hands within a few hours. What a great weekend surprise :D
Congratulations! They are an exciting Headphone.

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #1,774 of 2,384
Can anyone comment on the Bokeh’s midbass? After speaking to Zach it appears that the Bokeh has far less midbass than the Atticus but still plenty. The Aeolus is the open version of the Atticus - I imagine it would be better than its midbass considering this is a closed design. Has anyone compared the two (Aeolus and Bokeh).

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #1,775 of 2,384
Can anyone comment on the Bokeh’s midbass? After speaking to Zach it appears that the Bokeh has far less midbass than the Atticus but still plenty. The Aeolus is the open version of the Atticus - I imagine it would be better than its midbass considering this is a closed design. Has anyone compared the two (Aeolus and Bokeh).
With protein pads I actually think the Bokeh hits harder than the Atticus. IMO it’s the hardest hitting ZMF to date.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #1,777 of 2,384
Bokeh vs. T + A Solitaire T?

Hi early Bokeh adopters. Has anyone compared the Bokehs with T + A Solitaire T in wired mode?
I've never really compared them directly, but I have a good idea of how they both sound. I'd happily compare them for you, but unfortunately I've had hyperacusis in one of my ears, and I haven't been able to listen to headphones for the last 3 months. :weary:

The Bokeh has a very fun tilted sound, with your typical meaty ZMF midrange and bountiful bass. The LCP drivers are pretty unique and lively sounding, with snappy and nimble qualities.

In wired mode the Solitaire T has a more refined, reference sound. The bass is very controlled and not nearly as boosted as the Bokeh. Both headphones have very well tuned treble range. The T does have that trademark Biocell sound that's somewhat smooth and rounded, so it doesn't come across as being very cold or sterile. Can't really comment much on the staging of them, although neither are as big as the AC/VC.

As far as the overall sound of them, I'd put them as being more different than they are similar. Both are great closed backs, and I enjoy them both quite a lot. I just wish the T had slightly bigger cups/ear pads.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #1,778 of 2,384
Decided to bring out the Burson Soloist 3XP and the SMSL SP400 and give them a try on the Bokeh.

Overall, the Burson and the SP400 are both great amps in their price range. The Bokeh sounds good on both, with the Burson being warmer and more musical, while the SP400 with its THX tech sounded more analytical, that some may translate to more detail.

Soundstage while not in your head, is like a 1ft bubble around your head with both amps.

I would say the biggest negative with the Bokeh with these 2 amps is less bass control. On some bass heavy tracks, it gets a little too bloomy for me, but I think it's something bass heads would love.

It does make me want to get the new V7 Pro opamps for the Burson. I think for $150 it might be a pretty good upgrade for the old 3XP.

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #1,779 of 2,384
I've never really compared them directly, but I have a good idea of how they both sound. I'd happily compare them for you, but unfortunately I've had hyperacusis in one of my ears, and I haven't been able to listen to headphones for the last 3 months. :weary:

The Bokeh has a very fun tilted sound, with your typical meaty ZMF midrange and bountiful bass. The LCP drivers are pretty unique and lively sounding, with snappy and nimble qualities.

In wired mode the Solitaire T has a more refined, reference sound. The bass is very controlled and not nearly as boosted as the Bokeh. Both headphones have very well tuned treble range. The T does have that trademark Biocell sound that's somewhat smooth and rounded, so it doesn't come across as being very cold or sterile. Can't really comment much on the staging of them, although neither are as big as the AC/VC.

As far as the overall sound of them, I'd put them as being more different than they are similar. Both are great closed backs, and I enjoy them both quite a lot. I just wish the T had slightly bigger cups/ear pads.
Aww man, hope the hyperacusis clears out soon. My old ears have a bit of tinnitus due to occupational loud noise exposure and I have to adjust to the slight ear-ringing.
I would say the biggest negative with the Bokeh with these 2 amps is less bass control. On some bass heavy tracks, it gets a little too bloomy for me, but I think it's something bass heads would love.

It does make me want to get the new V7 Pro opamps for the Burson. I think for $150 it might be a pretty good upgrade for the old 3XP.

Picked these out this past Saturday at the NYC CanJam and really enjoying them. The natural Limba is gorgeous and I like the matte finish. Got a sweet B-stock discount on them since they have a slight fill in the tree knot.

20240310_032103.jpg
20240309_214737.jpg

After a couple days I'd say it retains a lot of dynamic ZMF magic I like with extra bass. I'm kind of a bass/heavy-beat listener anyway so this works for me.
I can see where some savings are done in the build quality and comfort but overall still a nice solid HP. I'd put it as more refined in sound and quality than my Fostex TR-X00 closed back which also has a lot of bass.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #1,780 of 2,384
Picked these out this past Saturday at the NYC CanJam and really enjoying them. The natural Limba is gorgeous and I like the matte finish. Got a sweet B-stock discount on them since they have a slight fill in the tree knot.

20240310_032103.jpg
20240309_214737.jpg

After a couple days I'd say it retains a lot of dynamic ZMF magic I like with extra bass. I'm kind of a bass/heavy-beat listener anyway so this works for me.
I can see where some savings are done in the build quality and comfort but overall still a nice solid HP. I'd put it as more refined in sound and quality than my Fostex TR-X00 closed back which also has a lot of bass.
Thats a beauty! I had to tell me self numerous times that I'm happy with my red limba ones when I was in the ZMF room 😅

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #1,781 of 2,384
The natural Bokeh is a really nice variant! Yeah, this headphone feels like ZMF's answer to the Fostex TH-X00 or Meze 99 Classic. It's like a refinement/upgrade/response to those fun, entry-level, closed headphones.

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #1,782 of 2,384
Aww man, hope the hyperacusis clears out soon. My old ears have a of bit tinnitus due to occupational loud noise exposure and I have to adjust to the slight ear-ringing.

20240310_032103.jpg 20240309_214737.jpg

Yeah, I really like those. Some of the nicest Bokeh cups I've seen.

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #1,783 of 2,384
I got my shipping notification earlier! Fingers crossed that FedEx will be kind to me and allow a smooth delivery.

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #1,784 of 2,384
So I'm listening to the Bokeh randomly playing files from my NAS and an old WMA file (lossy/129 kbps) of Hendrix live at the Isle of Wight 1970 comes on:

I probably got this file from coworkers as we shared a lot of music files when many of us were moving away from CDs 20 years ago.
Not a great quality file but the Bokeh was doing it justice. I felt like I was there with Jimi in the auditorium and hearing the guitar amp humming.
You can tell the Atrium Damping System is working well in the Bokeh.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #1,785 of 2,384

First, I hope the hyperacusis clears up soon. That is grim. Thanks very much for the impressions based on your recollection which are helpful and confirm my own general sense of things having demoed the STs in store and having ACs at work. Tricky decision ahead... The STs have massive versatility and better portability on their side... but it sounds as if the Bokahs would be a superb second high end pair and the new finish is fantastic. The ACs so far have spoiled other headphones for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back