ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Mar 2, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #1,711 of 2,369
I really love these, tonewise they are first rate. You don't get the last iota of detail, but a nice full and fairly deep sound, especially considering it's a closed back. With some sources they pair better, for example, I prefer otl over otc but haven't set up my solid state yet.

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #1,712 of 2,369
I also got the email about changing to the natural limba, and after seeing the LTD/Canjam video I was very tempted! So I emailed ZMF asking if there where any more examples of the natural limba and they sent me this:

I figured seeing this might be helpful for those trying to decide, I ended up switching my order to natural limba! This will be my first ZMF and it is amazing to be able to see into the process and have communication like this. Super excited for my bokeh and to check out the rest of the ZMF lineup at Canjam NYC!

Thanks for the photo. I did get an email about this also as well as an email saying my set will be shipping out soon. If I switched colours and it came with ones like at the far end of the photo that may be okay. But I think I may stick with the original. Still looking to sell my Auteur (blackwood) if anyone here in Canada is interested. I just find them too heavy to wear for a long time.

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #1,713 of 2,369
Questyle m15 with this is a very nice combo, I wish I found it sooner! Been playing it off a simple schiit stack with a piety but I kinda prefer it with the m15. Now I really need to order that case it can be equipped with.
It just makes the bokeh feel a bit more fun, similar dynamics. I'm definitely bringing these to Canjam London for friends to try.

Mar 3, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #1,714 of 2,369
Thanks for the photo. I did get an email about this also as well as an email saying my set will be shipping out soon. If I switched colours and it came with ones like at the far end of the photo that may be okay. But I think I may stick with the original. Still looking to sell my Auteur (blackwood) if anyone here in Canada is interested. I just find them too heavy to wear for a long time.
The BBB strap will help with weight distribution on your Auteur and help far more than the -30g of the weight with the magnesium headband. My Caldera with the BBB strap and the standard aluminum headband I can wear all day and I don't even notice it's on my head with no hotspots and feels almost as light as the Bokeh for me.

So, if you want to keep the Auteur and willing to spend $80 on the BBB strap, I think you will notice a big difference.

That's why I'm really hoping for a BBB strap for the Bokeh. Weight distribution is better then -10g here, or -30g there.

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #1,715 of 2,369
The BBB strap will help with weight distribution on your Auteur and help far more than the -30g of the weight with the magnesium headband. My Caldera with the BBB strap and the standard aluminum headband I can wear all day and I don't even notice it's on my head with no hotspots and feels almost as light as the Bokeh for me.

So, if you want to keep the Auteur and willing to spend $80 on the BBB strap, I think you will notice a big difference.

That's why I'm really hoping for a BBB strap for the Bokeh. Weight distribution is better then -10g here, or -30g there.

You mean this? https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/bbbstrap

I'm also looking to sell cause I could use the money with all this crazy inflation. I still have my Aeolus which I may also sell.

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #1,716 of 2,369
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #1,718 of 2,369
Sorry, what is the difference between this and what is already on the Bokeh?
The BBB strap is an ever so slight suspension strap between your head and the headband. It helps distribute the weight of the headphone better, and for me helps me get a perfect fit on the yokes. Without the BBB strap it feels like the cups can either sit slightly too low or two high on my Caldera and Atrium. It's great because the suspension is less than half an inch between the headband and strap. It's not like an Arya, HE1k, or Susvara where you look like a Cyberman from Doctor Who.

The standard strap that is on the Bokeh doesn't offer any suspension and is a layer of cushion between your head and the headband.

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #1,719 of 2,369
The standard strap that is on the Bokeh doesn't offer any suspension and is a layer of cushion between your head and the headband.
Audeze suspension systems are a very similar way. The stock leather straps are very close to the metal headband, and since they're prone to stretching over time, they eventually touch up against that metal instead of padding. Owners of Audezes seem to recommend either shortening the straps on each side or getting a custom strap with leather that doesn't stretch easily, like the bull used for BBB straps.

I have a strap from Understated Montreal on my LCD-Xs, and they suspend fully with enough of a gap to not touch against the metal.

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #1,720 of 2,369
Audeze suspension systems are a very similar way. The stock leather straps are very close to the metal headband, and since they're prone to stretching over time, they eventually touch up against that metal instead of padding. Owners of Audezes seem to recommend either shortening the straps on each side or getting a custom strap with leather that doesn't stretch easily, like the bull used for BBB straps.

I have a strap from Understated Montreal on my LCD-Xs, and they suspend fully with enough of a gap to not touch against the metal.
I moved the strap from the top two screw holes to the bottom two on my LCD2Cs because it started to stretch out. There are dangly end pieces now, and I thought about cutting those dangly pieces off, but I still might sell them one day.

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #1,721 of 2,369
My non-auduophile Brother came over this weekend and I let him have a listen to this setup. Cayin RU7 with iBasso CB19 Y cable and Anker Power Bank, used with my Samsung S22+, and the Bokeh.

1000004704.jpg

Within 5 seconds of listening the first thing he said was "dang!", then a few seconds later it was followed by a "Whoa!", and then he said, "I feel like I am in my own world!". That's when I said, "Welcome to the Bokeh". :grin:

For those using the RU7 on the go, and wanting to get the most out of it, I highly suggest this setup.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #1,722 of 2,369
My non-auduophile Brother came over this weekend and I let him have a listen to this setup. Cayin RU7 with iBasso CB19 Y cable and Anker Power Bank, used with my Samsung S22+, and the Bokeh.

1000004704.jpg

Within 5 seconds of listening the first thing he said was "dang!", then a few seconds later it was followed by a "Whoa!", and then he said, "I feel like I am in my own world!". That's when I said, welcome to the Bokeh. :grin:

For those using the RU7 on the go, and wanting to get the most out of it, I highly suggest this setup.
I am really enjoying the RU7+ Bokeh combo! Been using at work plugged straight into my mac.

Is the purpose of the battery bank to supply enough power to the RU7?

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #1,723 of 2,369
I am really enjoying the RU7+ Bokeh combo! Been using at work plugged straight into my mac.

Is the purpose of the battery bank to supply enough power to the RU7?
The power bank gives a cleaner background and avoids power restrictions of phones. Without the power bank, the RU7 can sound a bit weak and noisy with my phone as the power source.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #1,724 of 2,369
The power bank gives a cleaner background and avoids power restrictions of phones. Without the power bank, the RU7 can sound a bit weak and noisy with my phone as the power source.
Gotcha. I've tested the RU7 on my Mac, iPad Air and iPhone 15 Pro Max. Can't say that I really notice any difference. They all sound very good to me.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #1,725 of 2,369
Gotcha. I've tested the RU7 on my Mac, iPad Air and iPhone 15 Pro Max. Can't say that I really notice any difference. They all sound very good to me.
Are you using the Bokeh or IEMs? I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max and the RU7 with the Bokeh is lacking volume and detail compared to running it through the Mac and using Audirvana which removes the power limitation. Hence, why I ordered the iBasso CB19. Using IEMs with the RU7 is fine on the iPhone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back