ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 13, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #8,206 of 8,309
Back again here, this time I'm poking around to see if anyone else can relate or give me advice with pad choice for my Auteur OG.

I need new pads, period. While I like the tonality and performance of the stock Auteur lambskin, mine are probably very old and the foam is all compacted down. I have a pair of eikon lambskin perf and I have spent some time using those, I really don't admire them. The sound of the headphone changes too much. It feels like the sound stage is ruined and the magic goes away. Really didn't like the eikon lambskin perf.

Now some important points. I have random battles with TMJ. The end of my jaw bone is right next to my ear and I'm very sensitive to too much pressure there. I think that getting a fresh pad will be more comfortable than this old set I have so this might be a surprise when I upgrade. I've also heard that Zack used different types of foam though the years so maybe I have an old foam pair.

I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Auteur seude perf pads. I'm also afraid of them because I've heard they can be harsher than the lambskins. My worn out lambskins can be a bit too much peakyness with high dynamic songs, but this is why I love the Auteur because it renders these crazy songs with such a unique engagement. I want a pad that doesn't loose that feeling of magic and wow factor.

Idk if this applies but, when I used to own an aeolus, I couldn't stand the stock lambskin perfs. Way too much sound pressure and quickly fatiguing. I switched to the seudes and it helped a lot. With the Auteur being more open design I don't want to go too far with getting the suedes.

My music preferences are wide including pop, instrumental, jazz, acoustic, and orchestral. I like jazz and pop through the lambskins the most but don't gravitate to orchestra much on these. My LCD-2's make orchestral music a bit more easy to listen to possibly because they have a flatter bass response. I also find the comfort of the Audeze's to be a great match for my ears. Could this mean that I should try the universe lambskins/suedes?
Tough to say, as we all hear things differently and experience comfort, music styles, etc. with some variation. For me and my experience, I tend to like and leave the stock pads (lamb perf Auteur) on my OG Teak. I have also liked the Be2 perf suede, as it adds a touch more low end and I believe the suede material softens the highs a tiny bit. Also, I have the Universe suede perf and lamb perf and those, to me, open the midrange a bit while retaining everything above and below in the frequency range. Like most people, I simply had to obtain and try various pads to see for myself, as descriptions are all over the place.

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #8,207 of 8,309
Tough to say, as we all hear things differently and experience comfort, music styles, etc. with some variation. For me and my experience, I tend to like and leave the stock pads (lamb perf Auteur) on my OG Teak. I have also liked the Be2 perf suede, as it adds a touch more low end and I believe the suede material softens the highs a tiny bit. Also, I have the Universe suede perf and lamb perf and those, to me, open the midrange a bit while retaining everything above and below in the frequency range. Like most people, I simply had to obtain and try various pads to see for myself, as descriptions are all over the place.
Which pads that you've tried have been the darkest tonality wise? Most relaxed

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #8,208 of 8,309
Which pads that you've tried have been the darkest tonality wise? Most relaxed
Definitely the darkest and most relaxed, of the one's I currently own, are the Be2 perf suede. Very mellow, accentuated but "soft" bass frequencies, and a very pleasant smoothing of highs, but the detail is still there.

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #8,209 of 8,309
Guys I’ve bought this headphone three times - all with different woods (stock OG wood Teak, Blackwood and then Ash. Can anyone tell me the main difference between the OG and Classic? I remember the OG sounding kinda sleepy but warmish neutral with a tiny bit of brightness on the stock wood. I finally got the ZMF Pendant which I think would do these cans justice but not sure if I should look into the OG or Classic.
I'm biased, but it were me, I'd get the OG at a good price and have the option to send it back if I ever wanted the update to Classic specs. The OG are phenomenal.

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #8,210 of 8,309
Guys I’ve bought this headphone three times - all with different woods (stock OG wood Teak, Blackwood and then Ash. Can anyone tell me the main difference between the OG and Classic? I remember the OG sounding kinda sleepy but warmish neutral with a tiny bit of brightness on the stock wood. I finally got the ZMF Pendant which I think would do these cans justice but not sure if I should look into the OG or Classic.
I remember that “sleepy” sound completely waking up when I tried the OG Auteur on an Ampsandsound Kenzie, and I would assume the Pendant SE as well (I didn’t own mine then yet). It was the biggest change I’d ever heard in a headphone from an amp. The Classic is already less “sleepy” on its own, with a more robust, impactful sound and a more filled in midrange without any dips like the OG, and yet still more space and holography. But what it gains in technicality, it loses in that OG midrange lushness. The upper mids are also a bit more forward in the Classic, so the high Z tap makes it fatiguing to me and I use the low-Z. It doesn’t need a kick in the pants like the OG did.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #8,211 of 8,309
I remember that “sleepy” sound completely waking up when I tried the OG Auteur on an Ampsandsound Kenzie, and I would assume the Pendant SE as well (I didn’t own mine then yet). It was the biggest change I’d ever heard in a headphone from an amp. The Classic is already less “sleepy” on its own, with a more robust, impactful sound and a more filled in midrange without any dips like the OG, and yet still more space and holography. But what it gains in technicality, it loses in that OG midrange lushness. The upper mids are also a bit more forward in the Classic, so the high Z tap makes it fatiguing to me and I use the low-Z. It doesn’t need a kick in the pants like the OG did.
This seems to be the case with a lot of headphones. Whenever someone attempts to fix something that was already working so well they end up changing the tuning too much. I’ve experienced that with the HifiMan HE1000s and Audeze especially (LCD-4 to LCD-5). I think I’ll probably stick with the OG. I did try the OG on different amps and it was definitely a nice smooth sound which I prefer. Sounds like the Bokeh is so dynamic that it might actually sound fatiguing after a while. Didn’t seem to get that with these or the Aeolus.

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #8,212 of 8,309
Sounds like the Bokeh is so dynamic that it might actually sound fatiguing after a while. Didn’t seem to get that with these or the Aeolus.
Just a note on this - I could potentially see this with the stock pads, especially with no mesh or the burst mesh - but getting into the hybrid, or particularly the suede pads and solid mesh, I've found makes the Bokeh more smooth and chill.

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #8,213 of 8,309
Just a note on this - I could potentially see this with the stock pads, especially with no mesh or the burst mesh - but getting into the hybrid, or particularly the suede pads and solid mesh, I've found makes the Bokeh more smooth and chill.
Good to know - any comparisons with those changes to the OG Auteur?

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #8,214 of 8,309
Good to know - any comparisons with those changes to the OG Auteur?
I've never heard the OG Auteur unfortunately - compared to the Classic, I find the Bokeh in this configuration is warmer, more lush sounding with bigger bass but less spacious and a notch down in details.

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #8,215 of 8,309
This seems to be the case with a lot of headphones. Whenever someone attempts to fix something that was already working so well they end up changing the tuning too much. I’ve experienced that with the HifiMan HE1000s and Audeze especially (LCD-4 to LCD-5). I think I’ll probably stick with the OG. I did try the OG on different amps and it was definitely a nice smooth sound which I prefer. Sounds like the Bokeh is so dynamic that it might actually sound fatiguing after a while. Didn’t seem to get that with these or the Aeolus.
The tuning is definitely changed on the Classic, but it’s also my favorite tuning of any ZMF other than the Caldera. It nails neutrality but with just the right amount of musicality, decay, and warmth. I actually prefer it to the OG Auteur, it’s a much better all-rounder for me.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #8,216 of 8,309
The tuning is definitely changed on the Classic, but it’s also my favorite tuning of any ZMF other than the Caldera. It nails neutrality but with just the right amount of musicality, decay, and warmth. I actually prefer it to the OG Auteur, it’s a much better all-rounder for me.
Looks like we're twins when it comes to hearing :)

Agreed on all points! Auteur Classic doesn't get enough love I find. I think every single HP enthusiast should own a set

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 13, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #8,217 of 8,309
Wow Auteur Classic is sounding fantastic from the Vioeletric V222 4.4 mm output.

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #8,218 of 8,309
V222 pairs well with everything I have. Superb desktop SS amp and I'm running the Bifrost 2/64 on it.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #8,219 of 8,309
Oh man these headphones are crazy good with classical. 100% seal of approval.

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #8,220 of 8,309
Idk if it needs to be said , but tonally Auteur Classic is just about perfect to my ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back