ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 8, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #8,192 of 8,354
This discussion made me want to do a quick compare of my Auteur Classic against LCD-X 2021. Here's my general breakdown relative to each other:

aC: Wider but flatter stage, more in-front of the head, full-bodied lows with more midbass emphasis, noticably more decay to notes, more laid-back in the treble (though not lacking in presence there).

LCD: Deeper but narrower stage, overall fairly intimate and around the head, flatter bass response, faster attack and decay (more tactile slam), superior detail but sometimes sibilant in highs.

I find timbre on both to be quite natural, with Auteur having a slight edge. Auteur overall has a smoother sound and LCD is more vibrant with extra bite. Both headphones are also mid-forward overall in their tonality, though aC doesn't emphasize them as much as the LCD. The aC has a focused and cohesive presentation, while LCD puts more space between instruments and really lets you peer into the details of the mix.

I've seen people warning that aC loses out on lushness compared to the OG in exchange for a more neutral tuning. Based on FR graphs I think the tuning of OG is closer to LCD-X than to the Classic.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #8,193 of 8,354
This discussion made me want to do a quick compare of my Auteur Classic against LCD-X 2021. Here's my general breakdown relative to each other:

aC: Wider but flatter stage, more in-front of the head, full-bodied lows with more midbass emphasis, noticably more decay to notes, more laid-back in the treble (though not lacking in presence there).

LCD: Deeper but narrower stage, overall fairly intimate and around the head, flatter bass response, faster attack and decay (more tactile slam), superior detail but sometimes sibilant in highs.

I find timbre on both to be quite natural, with Auteur having a slight edge. Auteur overall has a smoother sound and LCD is more vibrant with extra bite. Both headphones are also mid-forward overall in their tonality, though aC doesn't emphasize them as much as the LCD. The aC has a focused and cohesive presentation, while LCD puts more space between instruments and really lets you peer into the details of the mix.

I've seen people warning that aC loses out on lushness compared to the OG in exchange for a more neutral tuning. Based on FR graphs I think the tuning of OG is closer to LCD-X than to the Classic.
Thanks, this is interesting. I was considering a trade of my OG for the 2021 LCD-X and having read your impressions, it might be a lateral move. I suppose I'll cross the LCD-X off my list, as I don't know that it would be providing anything substantially new or different (except a much heavier weight on my head experience).

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #8,194 of 8,354
Today I got my order from ZMF for new mesh and crescent strap. I am the third (and final) owner of a gorgeous pair of Wenge Auteur OG's. The old mesh was starting to unravel and catch the fabric. Adding the crescent strap is a huge welcome. No more hot spots and the weight is spread out much better. I have the clamp just right after stretching the new steel a bit, hopefully it won't stretch too far with time. I went for the solid mesh as I wasn't sure about the vented for the Auteur. Tonality wise it sounds the same but I do believe that it's gotten slightly faster and airy. Very slight but it's not as gooey and "thick" sound as with OG mesh. I won't be switching back to the old mesh as there's no need. An overall improvement for sure. So much subjective opinion is based on mental fatigue and mood anyways. I'm sure that with time I'll forget my older impressions and be making new memories after every listen 😁. Tastefully lush, detailed, and immersive.

IMG_20240311_211511.jpg

IMG_20240311_183459.jpg
IMG_20240311_184040.jpg

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #8,195 of 8,354
Ugh I switched from a new WBC Mogami RCA cable back to my trusty BJC Belden RCA and what do ya know, the original sound of my auteur that I remember came back. Most of what I said in the above post about the sound is most likely due to the RCA in the chain. CABLES!!! 🤷‍♂️ (I really don't want to wait for the burn in time that WBC recommends)

Unintentional cable mini review. BJC LC-1 RCA vs WBC Mogami 2534 Eminence locking RCA.

BJC: Much more forward sound. Not as refined a sound as Mogami, less resolution overall. +10 synergy
Mogami: noticeably clearer and spaced out overall. Possibly more airy presentation between instruments, or better sound reproduction than BJC. -2 synergy

I like the BJC more and I think it has more synergy with the Auteur + D3a tube amp. Everything sounds more pleasing, like all the instruments are working together. The Mogami is drier but more detailed in every part of the note except the attack. BJC has better attack as its more forward.

I really don't want to break in the Mogami now that I have figured this out. I'm back to hearing the OG sound of the Auteur that I remember so well, and I didn't know I had lost it until I decided to swap cables on a whim. Crazy this audiophile business!!!

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #8,196 of 8,354
Today I got my order from ZMF for new mesh and crescent strap. I am the third (and final) owner of a gorgeous pair of Wenge Auteur OG's. The old mesh was starting to unravel and catch the fabric. Adding the crescent strap is a huge welcome. No more hot spots and the weight is spread out much better. I have the clamp just right after stretching the new steel a bit, hopefully it won't stretch too far with time. I went for the solid mesh as I wasn't sure about the vented for the Auteur. Tonality wise it sounds the same but I do believe that it's gotten slightly faster and airy. Very slight but it's not as gooey and "thick" sound as with OG mesh. I won't be switching back to the old mesh as there's no need. An overall improvement for sure. So much subjective opinion is based on mental fatigue and mood anyways. I'm sure that with time I'll forget my older impressions and be making new memories after every listen 😁. Tastefully lush, detailed, and immersive.

IMG_20240311_211511.jpg
IMG_20240311_183459.jpgIMG_20240311_184040.jpg

How easy was the crescent headband to install? It might be a good option for my OGs as well.

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #8,197 of 8,354
Ugh I switched from a new WBC Mogami RCA cable back to my trusty BJC Belden RCA and what do ya know, the original sound of my auteur that I remember came back. Most of what I said in the above post about the sound is most likely due to the RCA in the chain. CABLES!!! 🤷‍♂️ (I really don't want to wait for the burn in time that WBC recommends)

Unintentional cable mini review. BJC LC-1 RCA vs WBC Mogami 2534 Eminence locking RCA.

BJC: Much more forward sound. Not as refined a sound as Mogami, less resolution overall. +10 synergy
Mogami: noticeably clearer and spaced out overall. Possibly more airy presentation between instruments, or better sound reproduction than BJC. -2 synergy

I like the BJC more and I think it has more synergy with the Auteur + D3a tube amp. Everything sounds more pleasing, like all the instruments are working together. The Mogami is drier but more detailed in every part of the note except the attack. BJC has better attack as its more forward.

I really don't want to break in the Mogami now that I have figured this out. I'm back to hearing the OG sound of the Auteur that I remember so well, and I didn't know I had lost it until I decided to swap cables on a whim. Crazy this audiophile business!!!

Not to tell you what to do, but if you like a more airy, open and sparkly sound, you might try going commando, i.e. no mesh. I did that and my OGs never sounded better.

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #8,198 of 8,354
Not to tell you what to do, but if you like a more airy, open and sparkly sound, you might try going commando, i.e. no mesh. I did that and my OGs never sounded better.

Thanks for the input. I might try that because I do like that sound. I suspect that if I think no mesh is too much for me, then the vented mesh could work out as well. So many parts of the chain that can change the headphone.

As for the crescent headband, it was time consuming getting it all to line up right but it was worth it for sure. Honestly though if I didn't have hot spots from the OG strap then I wouldn't have upgraded. Coming from the OG, the crescent strap is like a different headphone and I kinda miss the old fit a bit.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #8,199 of 8,354
ZMF Auteur Classic LTD Stabilized BlueNatural.jpg

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #8,200 of 8,354
Lovely Auteurs! I like the stabilized variants that still retain some of the wood grain pattern. Picked this one up in 2022 November sales.
Maybe ours are off the same block of wood?
AuC_118_.jpg

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #8,201 of 8,354
Lovely Auteurs! I like the stabilized variants that still retain some of the wood grain pattern. Picked this one up in 2022 November sales.
Maybe ours are off the same block of wood?
AuC_118_.jpg
Yes 2022 batch. I just bought them from head fi user.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #8,202 of 8,354
How easy was the crescent headband to install? It might be a good option for my OGs as well.

Small follow up about the crescent headband. Last night I said that I might prefer the old style more but I take that back now. I bent the headband steel a lot and got them pretty flat. I have a large and wide head and I'm happy now that the steel is less of a half circle and more a wide arc. If you are on the fence I would go for it. I would also get a BB strap as well, which I did not and regret it since my leather strap is pretty stretched out. I also realized that my auteur pads are most likely the original from the first owner, they are pretty lopsided. Time for new everything I think.

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #8,203 of 8,354
Guys I’ve bought this headphone three times - all with different woods (stock OG wood Teak, Blackwood and then Ash. Can anyone tell me the main difference between the OG and Classic? I remember the OG sounding kinda sleepy but warmish neutral with a tiny bit of brightness on the stock wood. I finally got the ZMF Pendant which I think would do these cans justice but not sure if I should look into the OG or Classic.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #8,204 of 8,354
Guys I’ve bought this headphone three times - all with different woods (stock OG wood Teak, Blackwood and then Ash. Can anyone tell me the main difference between the OG and Classic? I remember the OG sounding kinda sleepy but warmish neutral with a tiny bit of brightness on the stock wood. I finally got the ZMF Pendant which I think would do these cans justice but not sure if I should look into the OG or Classic.
I now have both too. I haven't tried a comparison yet but watched a bunch of YouTube on the subject. Like this one:

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #8,205 of 8,354
Back again here, this time I'm poking around to see if anyone else can relate or give me advice with pad choice for my Auteur OG.

I need new pads, period. While I like the tonality and performance of the stock Auteur lambskin, mine are probably very old and the foam is all compacted down. I have a pair of eikon lambskin perf and I have spent some time using those, I really don't admire them. The sound of the headphone changes too much. It feels like the sound stage is ruined and the magic goes away. Really didn't like the eikon lambskin perf.

Now some important points. I have random battles with TMJ. The end of my jaw bone is right next to my ear and I'm very sensitive to too much pressure there. I think that getting a fresh pad will be more comfortable than this old set I have so this might be a surprise when I upgrade. I've also heard that Zack used different types of foam though the years so maybe I have an old foam pair.

I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Auteur seude perf pads. I'm also afraid of them because I've heard they can be harsher than the lambskins. My worn out lambskins can be a bit too much peakyness with high dynamic songs, but this is why I love the Auteur because it renders these crazy songs with such a unique engagement. I want a pad that doesn't loose that feeling of magic and wow factor.

Idk if this applies but, when I used to own an aeolus, I couldn't stand the stock lambskin perfs. Way too much sound pressure and quickly fatiguing. I switched to the seudes and it helped a lot. With the Auteur being more open design I don't want to go too far with getting the suedes.

My music preferences are wide including pop, instrumental, jazz, acoustic, and orchestral. I like jazz and pop through the lambskins the most but don't gravitate to orchestra much on these. My LCD-2's make orchestral music a bit more easy to listen to possibly because they have a flatter bass response. I also find the comfort of the Audeze's to be a great match for my ears. Could this mean that I should try the universe lambskins/suedes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back