ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 7, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #8,161 of 8,309
I have an opportunity to trade away my OG Auteur teak for an LCDX plus cash. I’ve had LCD headphones on my list for a while and I’m very curious. Any of you guys want to talk me in/out of this trade?

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #8,162 of 8,309
I have an opportunity to trade away my OG Auteur teak for an LCDX plus cash. I’ve had LCD headphones on my list for a while and I’m very curious. Any of you guys want to talk me in/out of this trade?
I think it depends on how good of a deal you're getting, and which version of the LCD-X it is. I've owned both a 2019 and a 2021 LCD-X. The 2021 revision to the LCD-X is a big step up from the older models. Cleaner highs, tighter bass, and richer mids. I would say it's a worthy competitor to Auteur. The 2019 X gains some ground with EQ, but even then I would take the Auteur over it any day.

Based on the fact that you also have a 1266 and 800s, Auteur probably rounds out your collection quite well. What are you looking to get from the LCD-X?

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #8,163 of 8,309
I think it depends on how good of a deal you're getting, and which version of the LCD-X it is. I've owned both a 2019 and a 2021 LCD-X. The 2021 revision to the LCD-X is a big step up from the older models. Cleaner highs, tighter bass, and richer mids. I would say it's a worthy competitor to Auteur. The 2019 X gains some ground with EQ, but even then I would take the Auteur over it any day.

Based on the fact that you also have a 1266 and 800s, Auteur probably rounds out your collection quite well. What are you looking to get from the LCD-X?
Thanks for your follow up. I should have specified, 2021 LCD-X. That's important to note!

What I *think* I'm after is to see if it would provide the punchy fast bass that I like about planars and I recall really liking the LCD-4 when I auditioned them some time ago. Nothing wrong with my Auteur at all, but just interested in trying something different. Of course, I don't want to go backwards in sound quality or smaller soundstage, less high end resolution, etc. Listening to the Auteur right now as I type and they're pretty nice. It's that FOMO thing that keeps me interested in other makes/models.

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #8,164 of 8,309
They’re super different! I had the 2019 LCD-X, so that’s all I’m going off here, but it was just too sterile for my liking. The resolution was very impressive, but the weight was too much, and the dark/bright tonality (dark upper mids/bright treble) was too unnatural. The Auteur is one of those headphones you don’t need to EQ, or at least I don’t, and I think because of that I’ll always have some version of one in my stable. It has such a supremely natural sound.

I also think the Auteur Classic splits the difference pretty well between the OG Auteur and the LCD-X in terms of resolution, while offering more stage and impact (than the OG). Maybe sending it in for an upgrade from ZMF could be another possibility?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #8,166 of 8,309
That's an interesting idea. Is the Eikon still in production?

Honestly I'd prefer an open-back even if the bass was not on quite the same level as the Fostex bass. And even though the idea is to replace my X00 and 6XX (and Fidelio X2 and K371) with one TotL pair, let's be honest, I will probably never part with the X00. So...for now...I think the Auteur Classic is still the frontrunner. But I'm not planning to purchase until the November sale (assuming it'll be happening again this year?), so plenty of time still to weigh up options.

Since pads are a big feature of ZMF headphones, which would give the Auteur Classic the closest bass to the Fostex? What are the other tradeoffs? I assumed I'd just stick with the default lambskin pads.
ZMF is launching a new, rebranded Eikon, the Eikon(ic) 2024 (link below). The drivers are those used in the Auteur Classic. At first that seems a bit alarming (new drivers! unfamiliar sound!), until you remember the Eikon was the closed-back biodynamic that preceded its open-backed sibling, the Auteur. So I'm guessing the Eikon(ic) will sound even a bit better than the OG Eikon, which was pretty amazing.

If you have an Eikon or Eikon(ic), you will have a new bass champion, better in every way (including far better comfort) than the TX-00. I had a mahogany TX-00 from Massdrop, then a somewhat similar but even better-sounding (IMO) E Mu Teak. The OG Eikon vaulted right over them.

Not sure if anyone has the Eikon(ic) yet, so maybe no reviews. But they'll be forthcoming.

(oops ... forgot the link) https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/products/eikon-classic

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #8,167 of 8,309
They’re super different! I had the 2019 LCD-X, so that’s all I’m going off here, but it was just too sterile for my liking. The resolution was very impressive, but the weight was too much, and the dark/bright tonality (dark upper mids/bright treble) was too unnatural. The Auteur is one of those headphones you don’t need to EQ, or at least I don’t, and I think because of that I’ll always have some version of one in my stable. It has such a supremely natural sound.

I also think the Auteur Classic splits the difference pretty well between the OG Auteur and the LCD-X in terms of resolution, while offering more stage and impact (than the OG). Maybe sending it in for an upgrade from ZMF could be another possibility?
Oh man, I never even thought about the upgrade. I really appreciate this suggestion. I remember a lot of guys did this, but I never researched to see if everyone is happy with it. I just read the description on the ZMF site and it sounds great.

Curious if there's absolutely anyone out there in Head-Fi land that didn't like the upgrade or would not recommend it?

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #8,168 of 8,309
ZMF is launching a new, rebranded Eikon, the Eikon(ic) 2024 (link below). The drivers are those used in the Auteur Classic. At first that seems a bit alarming (new drivers! unfamiliar sound!), until you remember the Eikon was the closed-back biodynamic that preceded its open-backed sibling, the Auteur. So I'm guessing the Eikon(ic) will sound even a bit better than the OG Eikon, which was pretty amazing.

If you have an Eikon or Eikon(ic), you will have a new bass champion, better in every way (including far better comfort) than the TX-00. I had a mahogany TX-00 from Massdrop, then a somewhat similar but even better-sounding (IMO) E Mu Teak. The OG Eikon vaulted right over them.
My first somewhat lengthy and controlled session with the Auteur yesterday has it way way ahead of the Mahogany TX-00. I'd wager you are correct about the new Eikon being worthy of attention.

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #8,169 of 8,309
My first somewhat lengthy and controlled session with the Auteur yesterday has it way way ahead of the Mahogany TX-00. I'd wager you are correct about the new Eikon being worthy of attention.
The Auteur is a fine headphone indeed, but wait until you hear some of the newer ZMFs that have the ADS (Atrium Damping System) in place.

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #8,171 of 8,309
Heard the Auteur (stock pads and CC cable) yesterday at @Cat Whisperer Bob 's home.

First with a Liquid Platinum w/ Amperex Bugle Boys (and Musician Pegasus w/ both amps) vs. my HD-600. Summary: It's like the 600's had 20% infusion of an LCD-4 (OG). Denser lower reaching bass, and a relaxed upper mid range/lower treble. I didn't listen to anything with an annoying treble, but quite sure the Auteur would have won that easily. Bigger stage - esp horizontal, and far better definition. I concentrated on Norah Jones first LP which is clean and not bright, and that was a clear win on all fronts for the Auteur.

Then vs his HFM Stealth and my HE-6 SE on his Aune S-17 Pro (which I hadn't heard before). On most cuts - esp several on Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus" the Auteur made the HFM's sound thin with a recessed midrange that was also lacking definition/focus/depth! It went that way with most cuts, although not as pronounced and the Stealth topped it w/ a few cuts that called for big soundstage and transparency, the 6 SE had better bass impact that was noted a few times, and probably had the lowest distortion/cleanest sound, but just was a bit wan overall vs the other two. Both HFM's did a bit better with Patricia Barber's "Cafe Blue", which was interesting.

Side note on Aune heat concerns: My tastes in volume are lowish by todays standards - (no non bass peaks over 90 db) was primarily set to 24 for ZMF, 30 for Stealth, and 47 for HE-6 SE and it did get a mite hot with the 6 SE. Looking at an internal pic, ventilation holes (or more heat sinking at the front and back plane) might be useful, or a internal fan or external fan pointed at one of the rear ventilation holes - because turning the output down when it senses it's too hot is frustrating to a user, and if the sensor ever gives while over driving it you'll get Aune flambe', which would suck in every way. I woudn't hook up a pair of Maggies to it for sure.

Have to get the ZMF up here before the tulips bloom to see how it fares in my set-up. As many before have discovered, it's a pretty damn fine headphone.
The Amperex Bugle Boy tub sounds incredible with the Auteur. I use it myself with the Kenzie for most music.

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #8,172 of 8,309
The Auteur is a fine headphone indeed, but wait until you hear some of the newer ZMFs that have the ADS (Atrium Damping System) in place.
Kind of ironic to read this very logical comment. When I first read about the Eikon(ic), I was a big surprised it retains the original (non-ADS) damping. That has to be a negative vs any ZMF hp w/ADS, right?

Maybe, maybe not. It's really not that simple. One of my cherished memories of my OG padauk Eikon was how expansive & impressive the soundstaging was. Pretty sure I never heard another closed back that equals it in for soundstaging.

Plus soundstaging was never a big draw for the TX-00. It was OK but not in the Eikon's league at all.

(just commenting as a former Eikon owner)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #8,173 of 8,309
Auteur Classic has the ADS by the way. It makes it (for me) quite a nice performance leap over the OG Auteur.

I actually rank Auteur Classic as my favorite ZMF, just does no wrong in its fabulous tuning. Caldera is my favorite when it comes to techs followed by VO.

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 7, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #8,174 of 8,309
Kind of ironic to read this very logical comment. When I first read about the Eikon(ic), I was a big surprised it retains the original (non-ADS) damping. That has to be a negative vs any ZMF hp w/ADS, right?

Maybe, maybe not. It's really not the simple. One of my cherished memories of my OG padauk Eikon was how expansive & impressive the soundstaging was. Pretty sure I never heard another closed back that equals it in for soundstaging.

Plus soundstaging was never a big draw for the TX-00. It was OK but not in the Eikon's league at all.

(just commenting as a former Eikon owner)
The Eikon and Bokeh are the only two ZMFs I havent heard. I'm working on getting back in the saddle, so to speak. Hopefully I can get caught up here shortly.

Auteur Classic has the ADS by the way. It makes it (for me) quite a nice performance leap over the OG Auteur.
I have both the OG and classic. They sound quite similar, with the classic having better stage due to the ADS and also being a bit warmer. They both are killer headphones.

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #8,175 of 8,309
I have both the OG and classic. They sound quite similar, with the classic having better stage due to the ADS and also being a bit warmer. They both are killer headphones.
So, worth the cost of the upgrade, in your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back