ZMF Auteur Thread
Jan 22, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #3,676 of 8,309
I've heard this recommendation from numerous people - there's someone on the forum selling them for $1400. I might snag one up. Are the Eikon perforated one of the sets that come with the Auteur or is that a separate purchase? You're talking about the lambskin right?

The Blackwoods usually come with the Eikon pads on top of the Auteur pads. Both lambskin.

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #3,677 of 8,309
Thanks for all the input on cables guys, it is very helpful. I am having such a great time listening to tunes on these headphones. I was a bit anxious before receiving them about whether I would have buyer's remorse given the price differential between these and my HD6XX's. Even though they are still in early break-in, I already can answer that I don't have any at all. It's a big leap on all fronts. Here's a sample of what I'm listening to:

Donnie has a beautiful voice, that's for sure. Not a beautiful life, tho...

Check out this very talented keyboardist/singer, Nigel Hall. He sounds eerily like Donnie at times in this straight-from-the-church ballad:

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #3,678 of 8,309
Donnie has a beautiful voice, that's for sure. Not a beautiful life, tho...

Check out this very talented keyboardist/singer, Nigel Hall. He sounds eerily like Donnie at times in this straight-from-the-church ballad:

Or a soulful father and son...

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #3,679 of 8,309
What's this, a whole page without any Auteur pics? Problem solved!

Just arrived today. Zebrawood LTD with rose gold and copper cable joining the rest of the ZMF family here--Aeolous Sapele, Verite Silkwood, and Manchurian Ash Atticus, all suede versions. Haven't burned them in, which may not be needed as these aren't 100% new.

It's really difficult to capture the correct color and beauty of the rose gold. I think it will pop more as the wood darkens. They're all really works of art.
IMG_1683.jpeg
IMG_1680.jpeg
IMG_1678.jpeg
IMG_1686.jpeg
IMG_1687.jpeg

Immediately recognized the ZMF house sound and was also pleasantly surprised at how differently they present music compared to the Verite, even on a relatively simple song like Hey Jude. I think I now have every perforated suede pad variant so will play around with all of those after some time with Auteur suede perf.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #3,680 of 8,309

Just arrived today. Zebrawood LTD with rose gold and copper cable joining the rest of the ZMF family here--Aeolous Sapele, Verite Silkwood, and Manchurian Ash Atticus, all suede versions. Haven't burned them in, which may not be needed as these aren't 100% new.

It's really difficult to capture the correct color and beauty of the rose gold. I think it will pop more as the wood darkens. They're all really works of art.

Immediately recognized the ZMF house sound and was also pleasantly surprised at how differently they present music compared to the Verite, even on a relatively simple song like Hey Jude. I think I now have every perforated suede pad variant so will play around with all of those after some time with Auteur suede perf.
Fantastic! What a great looking, and no doubt sounding headphone. And what a ZMF collection.. I am so J :)

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #3,681 of 8,309

Beautiful family (of headphones) right there!

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #3,682 of 8,309

Damn. that's quite a ZMF collection. That new Auteur is so pretty.

What wood is the Atticus? It's very handsome, and the grain match is perfect.

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #3,683 of 8,309
What wood is the Atticus? It's very handsome, and the grain match is perfect.
Manchurian Ash according to the seller. My first ZMFs bought in October and now 3 more within 3 months. When I like something, I tend to really like it.

I am so J :)
Don't be jealous. All it took to afford these was living on a volcano, getting some house damage from 3 months of SO2 and intensely acidic rain, and an eventual overly generous insurance payout of which under 10% was splurged on used and b-stock ZMFs, lol. Personally I wouldn't recommend it!

To think, I thought I must have lost my mind just over a year ago when I decided to spend $250 on used HD 700s (which started all this craziness for me). Fortunately, this is it for a while headphone-wise. The 6 month wait for the Glenn OTL is feeling like a very long time though.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #3,684 of 8,309
Don't be jealous. All it took to afford these was living on a volcano, getting some house damage from 3 months of SO2 and intensely acidic rain, and an eventual overly generous insurance payout of which under 10% was splurged on used and b-stock ZMFs, lol. Personally I wouldn't recommend it!

To think, I thought I must have lost my mind just over a year ago when I decided to spend $250 on used HD 700s (which started all this craziness for me). Fortunately, this is it for a while headphone-wise. The 6 month wait for the Glenn OTL is feeling like a very long time though.
LOL, I have a friend living on that island, he had some exciting times. I empathize with the Glenn waiting list angst, I am in the same boat with you :)

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #3,686 of 8,309
Indeed! I have been lusting after a pair of Ironwood Verite closed every since reading a couple of Rave reviews!
I was trying to save up but moving and a new job etc. I am hoping by the end of year. Love my Auteur Blackwoods.
But the Verite closed sounds like it might give me all that and closed headphones with similar or better overall performance!
I got my Blackwoods after getting an insurance payout as well! Small world!

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #3,687 of 8,309

Stunning! Wouldn't trade my coco Auteurs for anything, but those are insane. I'm just a sucker for the ZMF aesthetic/Auteur in particular.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #3,689 of 8,309
Ha, as a life long Chief's fan I'll be listening to the Superbowl with my Auteurs! I also placed an order today for a set of custom cables from Hart Audio Cables, with the multi-kit connectors. So that means I will be able to plug my Auteurs into:
  • IC-1 3": 1/4" TRS
  • IC-2 3": 3.5mm TRS
  • IC-3 3": 4-pin XLR
  • IC-4 3": 2.5mm TRS
  • IC-5 3": 3.5mm TRRS
  • IC-6 3": 4.4mm TRRRS
about any amp, lol.

Feb 2, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #3,690 of 8,309
Ha, as a life long Chief's fan I'll be listening to the Superbowl with my Auteurs! ...
My Auteur will be rooting for the Niners. Hope it’s a good game!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back