ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 6, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #3,481 of 8,390
Anybody also listen to jazz or classical with these headphones? I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.
The Auteur sound great with both jazz and classical. The Auteur's neutrality and openness work great with classical, allowing you to identify individual elements within a score fairly easily. it's not quite as resolving as the HD800, but close enough that i never feel i'm struggling to make out what i'm hearing. and the Auteur's dynamic range is incredible as it can so naturally slam hard with low frequency, blare out the loud brass/metal instruments, and softly whisper the subtle elements together at once. that's where i felt the HD800 struggled. it could give you all the sound, but the dynamics felt a bit compressed. bass didn't feel as powerful, and the soft elements had a slightly hard edge that didn't seem natural. just my opinions though, i know classical lovers really love the HD800.

For jazz i do like the Auteur, for much the same reasons as stated above. but i actually grab my Atticus more often on jazz, for a few reasons. first, i find jazz to be more intimate sounding, which fits the Atticus' signature better. also, there's more bass elements compared to classical (at least the jazz i like), which the Atticus presents in a more fun/engaging manner. and i also find some of the horns in my jazz a bit hot/extended. the Auteur's treble extension makes those sections a bit uncomfortable for me, whereas the Atticus' softer treble presentation allows me to maintain a high listening volume without fatigue. horns for some reason really zing my ears, whereas screeching guitars don't. i can't explain it. what the Auteur does exceptionally though is to present a better, more dimensional stage vs the Atticus. i can visualize the performers better, and there is a more distinct delineation between them. sometimes bass frequencies on the Atticus can bleed together, especially if the recording is of marginal quality. the Auteur can better separate the notes, so that i can clearly distinguish the bass string plucks from the bass drum hits.

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #3,482 of 8,390
The Auteur sound great with both jazz and classical. The Auteur's neutrality and openness work great with classical, allowing you to identify individual elements within a score fairly easily. it's not quite as resolving as the HD800, but close enough that i never feel i'm struggling to make out what i'm hearing. and the Auteur's dynamic range is incredible as it can so naturally slam hard with low frequency, blare out the loud brass/metal instruments, and softly whisper the subtle elements together at once. that's where i felt the HD800 struggled. it could give you all the sound, but the dynamics felt a bit compressed. bass didn't feel as powerful, and the soft elements had a slightly hard edge that didn't seem natural. just my opinions though, i know classical lovers really love the HD800.

For jazz i do like the Auteur, for much the same reasons as stated above. but i actually grab my Atticus more often on jazz, for a few reasons. first, i find jazz to be more intimate sounding, which fits the Atticus' signature better. also, there's more bass elements compared to classical (at least the jazz i like), which the Atticus presents in a more fun/engaging manner. and i also find some of the horns in my jazz a bit hot/extended. the Auteur's treble extension makes those sections a bit uncomfortable for me, whereas the Atticus' softer treble presentation allows me to maintain a high listening volume without fatigue. horns for some reason really zing my ears, whereas screeching guitars don't. i can't explain it. what the Auteur does exceptionally though is to present a better, more dimensional stage vs the Atticus. i can visualize the performers better, and there is a more distinct delineation between them. sometimes bass frequencies on the Atticus can bleed together, especially if the recording is of marginal quality. the Auteur can better separate the notes, so that i can clearly distinguish the bass string plucks from the bass drum hits.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I can see how you would reach for the Atticus for more intimate jazz. I've been listening to a lot of jazz via my Aeolus and have had a pretty similar impression!

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #3,483 of 8,390
On another note, I find that the Auteurs handle acoustic material extremely well. Two artists that have been high on my play list of late are The California Guitar Trio and Ottmar Liebert. both sound superb with the above mentioned setups.
You got me hooked on California Guitar Trio! The Auteur really brings out the strings so well, in a way the softer Atticus cannot, even with the brighter suede pads. They were an excellent recommendation, thank you!

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #3,484 of 8,390
It's beautiful, mate. Something that, for me, is generally difficult to replicate with planars. The Auteur is like a vinyl, while planars sound like digital (clean clear)
Definitely plan on listening to vinyl on my Auteur ...

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #3,485 of 8,390
I think the Auteur is a true all-arounder. I never felt I was missing anything on any genre of music. From melodic death metal to Johnny Cash and everything in between,the auteur rocked it. Then the VC came along,so my Auteur went to a better home.

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #3,486 of 8,390
I just bought Ottmar's latest, "Fete".

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #3,487 of 8,390
What amps do you like using with your Auteurs?

I run a solid state,Violectric V200 and a hybrid Apex Peak that I run through an SYS. The Apex really brings out the best in the Auteur and Aeolus. I believe it was designed for 300 ohm cans because it really up scales Sennheisers as well. Both of the ZMF s are detail monsters on the Peak.

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #3,488 of 8,390
I run a solid state,Violectric V200 and a hybrid Apex Peak that I run through an SYS. The Apex really brings out the best in the Auteur and Aeolus. I believe it was designed for 300 ohm cans because it really up scales Sennheisers as well. Both of the ZMF s are detail monsters on the Peak.
Right now, I'm just using a Decware CSP2 OTL - hoping that this will work well with the Auteur!

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #3,489 of 8,390
I think the Auteur is a true all-arounder. I never felt I was missing anything on any genre of music. From melodic death metal to Johnny Cash and everything in between,the auteur rocked it. Then the VC came along,so my Auteur went to a better home.
one thing i love about the Auteur, and i think it's due to it's biocellulos driver, is how smooth and organic it sounds. does the VC have that effortlessly organic quality to it that the Auteur does? that's my worry with the VC. i took the plunge and ordered one, just really nervous about it for some reason. i love the Atticus/Auteur so much i worry it will be a letdown.

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #3,490 of 8,390
You got me hooked on California Guitar Trio!

I may have mentioned this before, but be sure to check out their version of Floyd's "Echoes". Astounding how they do that song on just three acoustic guitars..

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #3,491 of 8,390
Right now, I'm just using a Decware CSP2 OTL - hoping that this will work well with the Auteur!

sounds like a winning combo to me. I was looking at that amp before I found the Felix.

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #3,492 of 8,390
one thing i love about the Auteur, and i think it's due to it's biocellulos driver, is how smooth and organic it sounds. does the VC have that effortlessly organic quality to it that the Auteur does? that's my worry with the VC. i took the plunge and ordered one, just really nervous about it for some reason. i love the Atticus/Auteur so much i worry it will be a letdown.
IMO,yeah the VC sounds very organic,with more dynamics and faster than the Auteur and VO.
The VC has kinda ended my search for a perfect headphone,much to my wife's delight.

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #3,493 of 8,390
The VC has kinda ended my search for a perfect headphone,much to my wife's delight.

oh, c'mon. you know a statement like that carries absolutely no water!!! :wink: :wink: :)

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #3,494 of 8,390
oh, c'mon. you know a statement like that carries absolutely no water!!! :wink: :wink: :)
LOL. Yeah I know,famous last words right?

Honestly though,the VC just ticks all the boxes for me. If and when ZMF releases a proprietary planar headphone I might be tempted though. :wink:

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #3,495 of 8,390
I have to admit - it's hard to stop looking at these headphones. Felt that way about the Aeolus as well when I received them. Love the craftsmanship!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back