ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 6, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #3,466 of 8,301
spent a 10 hour work day monday with my Auteur listening to a ton of random Buckethead tracks, and Random Access Memories. Man the Auteurs can slam! i was quite surprised how deep and powerful the bass can be on them. most of my music isn't bassy, so playing something like Random Access Memories was a treat, and a great reminder what the Auteur can do down low. goes to show you can have a fairly neutral headphone with some bass.

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #3,467 of 8,301
Anybody also listen to jazz or classical with these headphones? I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #3,468 of 8,301
I have a few different listening stations. My main one at my desk consists of a Schiit Loki Jr. > Feliks Elise. but I recently stumbled upon a very nice and somewhat more affordable combo for my bedside setup. I use a Loki Jr. fed into a little known Maverick Audio D1 Tube Magic D1 DAC/Amp (DAC section) fed to an XDUOO TA10. I just happened upon this setup as I was playing different configs. The combined cost of the aforementioned chain would be around $650 is purchased new.

I was totally surprised by the SQ that I this combo produces!!!

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #3,469 of 8,301
And yes, I do listen to jazz and classical with these, although for those genres, I actually prefer my LCD-XC's for closed, and LCD-3's for open back.

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #3,470 of 8,301
Anybody also listen to jazz or classical with these headphones? I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.
Really depends on the pads you're using. But generally the Auteur is really great with jazz. It can grab that small smoky club feeling really well. Probably the best I've heard in a headphone so far.

For classical, I would use the HD800.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #3,471 of 8,301
On another note, I find that the Auteurs handle acoustic material extremely well. Two artists that have been high on my play list of late are The California Guitar Trio and Ottmar Liebert. both sound superb with the above mentioned setups.

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #3,472 of 8,301
Really depends on the pads you're using. But generally the Auteur is really great with jazz. For classical, I would use the HD800.
Yes, in general, I listen to classical with my HD800S as well. I have a feeling that the bass will be a lot better with jazz on the Auteur vs the HD800S.

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #3,473 of 8,301
What amps do you like using with your Auteurs?

I've been using an HPA4 and the results are amazing. That amp has a tendency to bring out the absolute best of a headphones technical abilities and that improvement, combined with the Auteur's soulfulness, has made the Auteur my most listened to headphone in the last few months. The improvement here over the Audio-gd 28.38 has been simply incredible. After upgrading my amp, I found the Auteur had the most significant difference. I had been planning to get a tube amp to pair with them, but now I'm not sure. That solid-state is so good!

20190818_145156.jpg

Oh, and they get plenty of Mingus and Miles Davis, as they are wonderful with acoustic timbre and imaging. However, I really prefer the Auteur for more vocally focused music. The mids are just so perfect.

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #3,475 of 8,301
On another note, I find that the Auteurs handle acoustic material extremely well. Two artists that have been high on my play list of late are The California Guitar Trio and Ottmar Liebert. both sound superb with the above mentioned setups.
Ottmar Liebert - definitely looking forward to listening to him on the Auteur!

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #3,476 of 8,301
to be honest, until recently I had never heard a single note of his music. About a month ago, I photographed one of his shows at a local club, and man was I bitten!!!

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #3,477 of 8,301
to be honest, until recently I had never heard a single note of his music. About a month ago, I photographed one of his shows at a local club, and man was I bitten!!!
Have you listened to his 90’s hit album Nouveau Flamenco? I think that’s the one that put him on the charts.

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #3,478 of 8,301
Yes, the next day after the show, I bought a batch of used CDs, and that is one of them. But the that really grabs me is Borrasca.

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #3,480 of 8,301
It's beautiful, mate. Something that, for me, is generally difficult to replicate with planars. The Auteur is like a vinyl, while planars sound like digital (clean clear)
Yeah, that!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back