ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 9, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #1,876 of 8,367
No I'm not kidding the Auteurs reward that level of detail. Vibration is a big deal!

It is quite easy to hear these differences on the Auteur. If you look closely you will see a Mapleshade 3 point footer under the SSD drive. Held In place with a modified isoblock. Yes you can even hear this.

It simply allows more information through. I know it can't make difference...but it still does.
I’m still convinced you’re kidding. You have to be.

:astonished:

Jul 9, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,877 of 8,367
Companies like mapleshade, vibraplane, and Townshend are quite serious. This is a semi diy approach using Mapleshade blocks. My own approach to air bladders having played with a single sir bladder. Also numerous feet, blocks and cones. I use Ikea lack table as a base. Cheap low mass rigid composite base. Use whatever feet under that. Next partially inflated bladders. .better dsmped then fully inflating. Isolation! You then have to do something for vibration from component. Maple...kiln dried ambrosia may be the best(ala Mapleshade). Mad Scientest feet! Their top of the line Blackpod Nanos! Not cheap but better than more expensive feet out there. Combination is devastatingly good. Put some weight on top of component. Wood brass lead. I like all three. This is minor and fairly subtle but I got lotsa stuff from years of fiddling might as well use it. Go price other solutions from manufacturers i mentioned. This cheaper and works better.

If you try serious iso you won't go back. Cheapest solution. Just use mad Scientest feet. Will get you 80% there for a few hundred!

Just kidding of course... None of this makes any difference at all,..keep telling yourself that and just change your components from time to time.

Happy listening!

Jul 9, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #1,878 of 8,367
What is @2359glenn and @zach915m collaborating on? I missed the post and couldn't find it.
I have one of Glenn's 300B amp and an Auteur, so yes I'm interested.

Jul 9, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #1,879 of 8,367
What is @2359glenn and @zach915m collaborating on? I missed the post and couldn't find it.

Don't ask. Zach is just scheming of more ways to get our moneys. :smile:

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #1,881 of 8,367
With a Mullard GZ32 & 6x 6bx7s & a pair of c3gs it makes the Atticus too thick in the midbass and adds some grain on bottom end. When I leave the rest of that roll intact and swap out the c3gs for a Tung Sol 6su7gty the grain goes away...dunno how that will change with 6336 tubes,nor if the response would be the same on Auteur.

Huh, that’s strange. My C3Gs are dead flat neutral with no grain at all.

Thanks for information MZ. Keep giving us feedback on other combinations you use. I have the Auteurs and it doesnt hurt to have a point of reference.

Could it be the Mullard GZ32 that's imparting that extra bump to the mids?

Just to follow up... I re-seated all my tubes and the grain with c3gs+Atticus went away. :)

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #1,882 of 8,367
Don't ask. Zach is just scheming of more ways to get our moneys. :smile:

Nobody is scheming just coming up with a amp that sounds good with all Zach's headphones.
@Khragon your amp should drive any headphone with power to spare.

I basically just have a tube amp *PROBLEM* you might say. So after a few friends got Glenn's amps and I saw Ray's come up I had to have one. I'm sending @2359glenn an auteur so he can just have fun with it and make me something awesome.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 10, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #1,883 of 8,367
Nice! looking forward to this outcome. Please give hints if possible, I enjoy getting some info along the way.

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #1,884 of 8,367

Nobody is scheming just coming up with a amp that sounds good with all Zach's headphones.
@Khragon your amp should drive any headphone with power to spare.

My bad. I didn't phrase it correctly! What Glenn said is what I meant: him building a tube amp that pairs nicely with Zach's headphones by using the Auteur as a base.

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #1,885 of 8,367
Boy, Blackwood + Brass = heavy on my head. The problem is, if I bend to make the headband very V shaped then the cups are too far down the side of my head even on the shortest rod setting. Which is weird because my head is ginormous.

Anyone else have any comfort issues? I feel the Auteurs clamp WAY less than my Atticus which means more weight sits on the top of my head (which ends up hurting). Open to suggestions because I am in love with these headphones. Wish there was more padding.

What I do is make a really really sharp V-shape such that the headband gets pinched at the very tip of the V. It is so narrow that it essentially creates an empty space that sits above my heads and the top isn't resting on the point of my head at all. Only the outer wing parts of the V are touching the sides of my head.

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #1,886 of 8,367
I basically just have a tube amp *PROBLEM* you might say. So after a few friends got Glenn's amps and I saw Ray's come up I had to have one. I'm sending @2359glenn an auteur so he can just have fun with it and make me something awesome.

Only good can come out of this.
I don't have the Auteur yet but driving low impedance Audio-Technica phones 32 ohm with the OTL with 6336 tubes. This is to see if it will
drive Zach's 50 ohm planners.
And going to adjust the CCS in the EL3N amp driver to get the best sound out of the Auteur.

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #1,887 of 8,367
Only good can come out of this.
I don't have the Auteur yet but driving low impedance Audio-Technica phones 32 ohm with the OTL with 6336 tubes. This is to see if it will
drive Zach's 50 ohm planners.
And going to adjust the CCS in the EL3N amp driver to get the best sound out of the Auteur.
No, this is not good!

(For my wallet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back