ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 7, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #1,846 of 8,364
Huh, that’s strange. My C3Gs are dead flat neutral with no grain at all.

Yeah kinda weird as its the best roll for all my other headphones,but on the Atticus it just doesnt sound great.
The Tung Sol 6su7gty essentially has the same tonality as the c3gs with slightly reduced slam,very close,just Atticus responds better to it.

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,847 of 8,364
With a Mullard GZ32 & 6x 6bx7s & a pair of c3gs it makes the Atticus too thick in the midbass and adds some grain on bottom end. When I leave the rest of that roll intact and swap out the c3gs for a Tung Sol 6su7gty the grain goes away...dunno how that will change with 6336 tubes,nor if the response would be the same on Auteur.

Thanks for information MZ. Keep giving us feedback on other combinations you use. I have the Auteurs and it doesnt hurt to have a point of reference.

Huh, that’s strange. My C3Gs are dead flat neutral with no grain at all.

Could it be the Mullard GZ32 that's imparting that extra bump to the mids?

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #1,849 of 8,364
Thanks for information MZ. Keep giving us feedback on other combinations you use. I have the Auteurs and it doesnt hurt to have a point of reference.

Could it be the Mullard GZ32 that's imparting that extra bump to the mids?
As the old saying goes, my ears, my gears. YMMV
I certainly don't have the tube rolling experience that many in the Glenn thread does, so don't steer clear of C3Gs based on my thoughts alone
They make my HD250s sound like 4000.00 headphones!

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #1,851 of 8,364
I thought the HD 650's upscaled! But OMG these are another level. Every Little thing they do is Magic. Every slight seemingly meaningless(not really) change is clear as a bell and immediately obvious. For tweakers like me this headphone is a Godsend.
You make me want to polish up my hd650s up and replace the padding

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #1,852 of 8,364
You make me want to okpolish up my hd650s up and replace the padding
The HD 650's are magical devices and when fully modded are quite remarkable! Midrange they are a 9 to the Auteur Blackwoods 9.3 or so. But the rest....well there really is no comparison. Fully burned and with more system tweaking the Auteurs really take no prisoners! They are musical microscopes! Their is the slightest sense of more openess and air in the 650's sweet spot. But with tweeking and system tuning even that is not particularly apparent .

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #1,853 of 8,364
I thought the HD 650's upscaled! But OMG these are another level. Every Little thing they do is Magic. Every slight seemingly meaningless(not really) change is clear as a bell and immediately obvious. For tweakers like me this headphone is a Godsend.
Quite agree. I hear a noticeable improvement from my portable rig Plenue 2 ==> Auteur vs P2 ==> Algorhythm Duet ==> Auteur. Really helps the soundstage (especially the depth) and cleans up the mid-bass, which can sound a bit muddy straight out of the P2. I also hear increased delicacy in the treble, although that may just be a side-effect of the bass clean-up.

Jul 7, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #1,854 of 8,364
BTW, I continue to think these are the best Deadphones (headphones for listening to the Grateful Dead). The combination of their spacious and precise soundstage, balanced tonality, flowing musicality and detailed presentation let me really enjoy both electric and acoustic Dead tunes. On well-recorded live tracks I can easily locate all the instruments and vocalists onstage. In addition, it’s easy to pick out mixes where some instruments or vocals are over-emphasized or recessed. And they handle EQ really well for those times when I want to really feel Phil’s bass lines.

Jul 7, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #1,856 of 8,364
Female vocalists. Allison Krauss, Mary Black, Lorenna McKennit, Emma Kirby, Billie Ellish, even Pink and many more sound particularly wonderful on the Auteur Blackwoods!

Agree, also:

EmmyLou Harris
Gretchen Peters
Ajeet Kaur
Joni Mitchell
Lucinda Williams
Margo Timmins (Cowboy Junkies)

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #1,857 of 8,364
I too am enjoying my Ash Auteur. They are quite revealing yet manage to make most music sound quite good. Alas, they are rather unforgiving of poorly recorded material. The Auteur will happily expose the flaws in the recording.

Curiously enough, they manage to make my cheap little xDuoo Nano D3 player sound pretty good. I have done a fair amount of listening to this combo and as long as the material is good I am quite happy to listen this way. This is good for around the house listening when I can't be stuck in one place. Still, they work even better through better source equipment and are starting to give me a case of upgrade-itis, lusting after better DAPs for my portable listening sessions. Oh well... The hazards of being an audiophile. :D

J.P.

Jul 8, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #1,858 of 8,364
Loving life right now....enjoying my Teak Auteur's. They are truly beautiful masterpieces crafted by Zach, both aesthetically and sonically. Below some glorious images shot by @gLer

Auteur1.jpg

Auteur2.jpg

Auteur3.jpg

Auteur4.jpg

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #1,859 of 8,364
Loving my Auteurs, but I'm getting a hot-spot pretty frequently, within wearing for 30 or so minutes. Any suggestions on how to adjust the headband to avoid it? Maybe my head is too narrow lol the suspension strap isn't actually suspended, the spring-steel headband rests right on top of it so the weight isn't distributed very well. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Looking at some pics, seems many Auteurs have the headband bent into more of a V-shape, whereas mine is very rounded.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #1,860 of 8,364
V Shape for the headband so the suspension strap can fill in the gap and distribute the headphone weight appropriately. Zach has a video of him squeezing the headband to it's optimum position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back