ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 11, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,907 of 8,305
Personal preference. We also don't know the OI of each tap yet.
I get that. Just a set of relatively ignorant assumptions on my part .

Jul 11, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #1,908 of 8,305
The new ZMF amp has a 300 ohm output, which should match the Auteur.

Jul 11, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #1,909 of 8,305
Yea. I see it now. Info wasn’t there earlier. 300ohm can work though it won’t be for everyone. I thought it added an interesting flavor to my HD650 back when I had an A&S amp. Didn’t get to try it with the Auteur.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #1,911 of 8,305
The new ZMF amp has a 300 ohm output, which should match the Auteur.
What? Really? Do you mean that the OI is 300 Ohms, or that the OI is intended for 300 Ohm cans? (say 37.5 Ohms or so -- 300/8)

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #1,912 of 8,305
What? Really? Do you mean that the OI is 300 Ohms, or that the OI is intended for 300 Ohm cans? (say 37.5 Ohms or so -- 300/8)
No. it’s actually 300ohms. Sounds crazy when we’re told things should be 8 to 1, but it can work quite nicely. You can also think about it this way. Don’t like it? No problem. 8 ohm tap is still there for you.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,914 of 8,305
No. it’s actually 300ohms. Sounds crazy when we’re told things should be 8 to 1, but it can work quite nicely. You can also think about it this way. Don’t like it? No problem. 8 ohm tap is still there for you.

We went through several impedance options to come up with the ideal.
As a point of fact its 8ohm and 300ohm.
This combo played well with the Focals, LCDs, MrSpeakers and ZMFs.
I still suggest, using the one that sounds right to you.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #1,915 of 8,305
So, if the Auteur has a wonderful tuning, and it really sounds like it does based on the feedback, why would people not simply use as neutral tuned an amp as possible to allow the character of the headphone to shine through? I guess this effort will be beneficial specifically to people who agree with the extra sound tuning as applied by the amp (and I have no doubt that will be many people). I guess I shouldn't be surprised as this sounds like a natural progression of a completest who really digs what it is that Zach tries to convey in his signatures. This amp would simply be another expression of his sound reproduction ethos so I guess I have answered my own question.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #1,916 of 8,305
So, if the Auteur has a wonderful tuning, and it really sounds like it does based on the feedback, why would people not simply use as neutral tuned an amp as possible to allow the character of the headphone to shine through? I guess this effort will be beneficial specifically to people who agree with the extra sound tuning as applied by the amp (and I have no doubt that will be many people). I guess I shouldn't be surprised as this sounds like a natural progression of a completest who really digs what it is that Zach tries to convey in his signatures. This amp would simply be another expression of his sound reproduction ethos so I guess I have answered my own question.
I mean, if ultimate transparency were all that anyone cared about, this would be a pretty boring hobby and a pretty slow message board. :-D

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #1,917 of 8,305
How do i convey this to you.... Well tube amps don't all sound warm or bass heavy.... I hope that statement kinda blew your mind.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,918 of 8,305
How do i convey this to you.... Well tube amps don't all sound warm or bass heavy.... I hope that statement kinda blew your mind.
?? Not sure, I don't think I was saying anything about all amps sounding a certain way.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,919 of 8,305
I mean, if ultimate transparency were all that anyone cared about, this would be a pretty boring hobby and a pretty slow message board. :-D
LOL, yes it would. This just seemed at first read like a different take on double amping, kind of double sound signature tuning so to speak, but really, I agree, the hobby is better when there are tons of choices and something for everybody even if it becomes highly specialized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back