1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Auteur Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by PacoTaco, Oct 15, 2017.
First

Back
119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128
130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139
Next

Last
  1. wazzupi
    "That's not how any of this works" Geico commerical

GarageBoy likes this.
  2. Sonic Defender Contributor
    It was an analogy meant to convey an idea, not a technical explanation.

wazzupi likes this.
  3. wazzupi
    Gotcha !!

4. Stillhart
    Honestly... took me quite some time in the hobby to realize this. I think it was Dan Clark's WA-5LE that finally demonstrated it well to me. And that's a pricey amp with tubes that cost half as much as the amp itself!

Also, just to be fair, the ampsandsound amps I've heard have all been pretty bassy. I don't think it's outside the realm of reasonableness to wonder if this new one will also share that.

5. ampsandsound
    Im not one to compare our amps to other companies.
    I will say that the Pendant is by far the most neutral amp we have made/ without our lineup.
    Its still decidedly a tube amp but is more even keel then we have done so before.
    I hope those who have heard it or will hear it can provided their own experience.

wazzupi likes this.
  6. Stillhart
    When's the tour starting? :-D

Monsterzero and wazzupi like this.
  7. wazzupi
    Lol

8. zach915m
    No tour! BUT - plenty of feedback/insight from trusted sources etc etc etc.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
    mysticstryk and Hansotek like this.
  9. Hansotek
    There is a huge difference between:
    (1) buying a colored amp to fix something that is inherently broken in the headphone
    and
    (2) having a non-broken headphone as a foundation that can take the coloration of any amp and run with it.

I have a handful of amps on my desk here, and I can run the Auteur super warm or relatively neutral out of my OTL and enjoy it either way. Or, on the opposite end, plug it into the Gilmore Lite MK2 and run it out of a very solid state-sounding solid state and enjoy it that way too. The Auteur is pretty transparent, so you can flavor it as you like. The tubes are going to make it more holographic and euphonic, which compliments the sweet natural timbre of the headphone and is nicely balanced out by its technicality and its ability to damp well with high impedance amps at 300 ohms. The solid state is going to highlight the technicality a little bit more (with added speed and tightness), but again, the natural timbre balances it out, so it never sounds boring, even when you choose to highlight the technicality.

I think a lot of the consensus here leans a bit toward tubes, since the timbre is so good and the mids can scale up so high if the amp and source feeding Auteur are top notch too. But there's no one right way to listen. It all about what YOU want to hear out of your music.

10. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Absolutely, and again, I don't think my post suggested otherwise, certainly not intentionally. I have always known that people can enjoy using a somewhat coloured sound signature, or a neutral signature for that matter, to enhance something they already enjoy. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, it is our personal choice to experiment and tweak away to our heart's content looking for whatever it is we are seeking. Heck I have even bought gear that I knew might be coloured intentionally to experience whatever effect it might have in my chain at the time.

11. B1ll
    My ZDS is as bright as a tube amp can get with still being musical, even rolling the ECC35 and using the Auteurs. Very fast and punchy, holographic, etc.

Liu Junyuan likes this.
  12. L0rdGwyn
    For those Auteur owners who also own the Atticus, do you find that they compliment each other well? I am considering a closed-back ZMF down the road. Eikon I assume is too similar to the Auteur, whereas the Atticus offers a warmer, mid-bass centric slammy flavor, which is appealing. Whatcha think? Little to no chance I could audition them, unfortunately.

13. Gambitek
    Yep. Totally different and both awesome. The Auteur is so good I wish I had two, though! But Atticus is a perfect office headphone. Laid back, fun, enjoyable, closed, and handles variable recording quality better.

L0rdGwyn likes this.
  14. L0rdGwyn
    Fantastic, thanks for the two cents! Will keep this in mind, like the idea of having a more forgiving alternative.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  15. mysticstryk
    I used to own an Eikon and now own an Atticus. I think they compliment each other well. The Atticus plays really well with some specific genres and still has great technicalities.

First

Back
119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128
130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139
Next

Last