ZMF Auteur Thread
Dec 4, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #452 of 8,390
Dec 4, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #455 of 8,390
@cskippy Thank you for all the very useful technical information. What amp were you using when you found the Auteur to be too dark and warm for most? I would tend agree when listening out of my Klone. I feel like Auteur is very sensitive to pairings. You definitely want to use this headphone on a drier, lean to neutral, low impedance amp in my opinion. Anyways thanks again!

@grizzlybeast Thank you for another amazing review. I absolutely love reading your write-ups! Do you have any other amps that you have heard the Auteur out of that lean towards the lean/dry side of things?

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #456 of 8,390
@cskippy Thank you for all the very useful technical information. What amp were you using when you found the Auteur to be too dark and warm for most? I would tend agree when listening out of my Klone. I feel like Auteur is very sensitive to pairings. You definitely want to use this headphone on a drier, lean to neutral, low impedance amp in my opinion. Anyways thanks again!
I use the Eddie Current Aficionado as my main amp for listening, Gumby as my DAC, and found with brighter tubes and interconnects that Auteur was very clear and just warm of neutral, which I am okay with. Using the Black Widow, the Auteur lost some air and gained some mid range forwardness which became a little to warm for me. I still need to try the Autuer with Jot.

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #457 of 8,390
I use the Eddie Current Aficionado as my main amp for listening, Gumby as my DAC, and found with brighter tubes and interconnects that Auteur was very clear and just warm of neutral, which I am okay with. Using the Black Widow, the Auteur lost some air and gained some mid range forwardness which became a little to warm for me. I still need to try the Autuer with Jot.
Thank you for the reply. :)I'm interested to hear what you think of the Auteur + Jot pairing. Also curious how much of a difference a SPC cable would make with Auteur as it seems very sensitive to 'chainges'. :D Bit off topic, but have you ever compared the Aficionado to the Dragon IHA-1?

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #458 of 8,390

@grizzlybeast Thank you for another amazing review. I absolutely love reading your write-ups! Do you have any other amps that you have heard the Auteur out of that lean towards the lean/dry side of things?
My tastes would differ as I actually like the Auteur out of the high impedance socket of my Mogwai Special Edition onh some songs and the low impedance output on others(sounds different than the original Mogwai). I also like it out of my Aficionado. My preferences would not like the Auteur out of a dry/lean amp. I have heard elsewhere a preference for them out of solid state but I can't call it.

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #459 of 8,390
Dec 5, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #460 of 8,390
These reviews make it sound like I would like my Olivewood Auteurs played through a Schiit Jotunheim. I am okay with moderately bright (I still listen to my good old Grado SR-80i occasionally) and like the idea of good authority and control of the bottom end. Sounds like I'm going to have to save up my pennies for a new amp (that I was already interested in anyway).

If you think that I have read this wrong, please feel free to offer enlightenment.

J.P.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #461 of 8,390
These reviews make it wound like I would like my Olivewood Auteurs played through a Schiit Jotunheim. I am okay with moderately bright (I still lidten to my Grado SR-80i) and like the idea of good authority and control of the bottom end. Sounds like I'm going to have to save up my pennies for a new amp (that I was already interested in anyway).

If you think that I have read this wrong, please feel free to offer enlightenment.

J.P.
From what I’ve interpreted from most impressions, people like the Auteurs out of warm, high impedance tube amps and prefer them to solid states. Although, it’s all up to preference.

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #462 of 8,390
From what I’ve interpreted from most impressions, people like the Auteurs out of warm, high impedance tube amps and prefer them to solid states. Although, it’s all up to preference.
I can second that. For pure enjoyment, tube amps are the way to go for me, though SS (Gumby/Rag) makes the Auteur the most balanced headphone I have ever heard, the jack of all trades in every genre in my collection.

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #463 of 8,390
I can second that. For pure enjoyment, tube amps are the way to go for me, though SS (Gumby/Rag) makes the Auteur the most balanced headphone I have ever heard, the jack of all trades in every genre in my collection.
I read that the Auteur is relatively easy to drive - so can a modest-power tube amp do it well? If so, what's a good suggestion for something that won't break the bank? I planned on using a lake people RS02, which I can eq warmer, but should I look at something tube?

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #465 of 8,390
I've not used them on any premium tube amps, but I definitely prefer the Auteur on amps with a bit less warmth. As great as it sounds out of my Theta Progeny -> Klone, in some ways I prefer it into my Valhalla 2. I didn't notice TOO much difference with my WA6 Maxxed with GZ34 and 6SN7s vs the Klone. They were pretty similar. I don't have any other DACs on hand to evaluate how things change when your source changes, and the Progeny is a fairly warm DAC.

Anyways, you are definitely correct. It's all up to preference, and the Auteur can be anything you want it to be, it seems. I actually bought 2 amps to play around with due to the Auteur's easily impressionable nature. :D Who knows? I might buy more just to experiment a bit. Auteur is seriously fun.

@grizzlybeast that's perfectly fair. I am running a Theta Progeny so perhaps that's leading me towards less warm amps. I would love to try out a different amp, just to see how that changes my impressions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back